We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Leviton VRCS4-MRZ 4 Scene Controller and VeraEdge?  (Read 6982 times)

Offline gwichman

Leviton VRCS4-MRZ 4 Scene Controller and VeraEdge?
« on: August 01, 2015, 12:05:08 am »
I'm looking to see if anyone has had any luck getting this device to work with their VeraEdge and if so, how you did it?

I'm struggling to get the Vera to see it as a light switch device.. I also really don't see any scene controller "devices" in the menu so it's also unclear to me how to get it working as a scene controller..

Offline kyb2012

Re: Leviton VRCS4-MRZ 4 Scene Controller and VeraEdge?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 12:44:15 am »
I've got 2 of them working with my Vera Edge.
Add them using the 'generic z-wave' device option.
Make sure that you bring the Vera Edge very, very close to the Leviton scene controller.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 01:54:50 am »
You need to include this device twice: once for the scene controller and the other for the local load switch.
I have a whole collection of various versions of this 4 button controller.
As kyb said, they can include from far but will fail to configure if you don't bring them close. I had mine within a foot away from the vera.
You may need to repeat the configuration of the device a few times too especially if you specify user associations.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline gwichman

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:44:00 am »
Thanks that was helpful. I managed to get it paired but holding the veraedge close as you both point out. Awesome!

For some reason the top button stopped working to turn the light on that i connected to it. When I first installed it and hadn't paired it with the VeraEdge yet, it worked to turn the light on/off. Then last night after pairing it both as a scene controller and light switch, and then assigning scenes to buttons 1-4, it stopped working to turn the light on. So i went back in and unselected a scene for button 1 hoping it'd start working again to turn the light on and no luck.. What am i missing?

Also as a scene controller, there are options to set a scene when the button is on vs when it's off. I'm a little confused by that. It seems to work when i press a button.. the scene runs. But the light doesn't stay on on the button. It only very briefly blinks when you press it. So it's unclear whether it's on or not. Perhaps because i haven't set scene for when the button is off? I guess i'm just confused about what the behavior of the lights is *supposed* to be..?

Thanks!

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 09:10:36 pm »
This puppy as you might have noticed is actually physically 2 separated devices in one box:

There is a zwave relay with its own chip and a scene controller with its own zwave chip.
Coming from factory, the button 1 of the scene controller is associated to the local load relay. The 2 are actually wirelessly connected through zwave.
When you paired it to the vera, the vera sees the first device like any other leviton 4 scene/zone controller and wipes out all the associations.
In order to make the first button (or any other button for that matter) control the local relay, you will have to associate them manually.
How???

Go to your scene controller device and go to the device option section.
Here you can define new user associations.
Type "1" in the group id field and click add. Now you can define which device will be associated to the button!
Under "group 1", click set and you should see a list of all your zwave devices. Check the local load.

Note: You will have to have the vera very close to the leviton since the vera will have to configure the controller...
You can go on and associate any other devices to groups 2, 3 and 4. Each corresponding to the buttons on the scene controller from top to bottom. You may have to repeat the association several times as in my experience, the setting from the vera sometimes gets lost.

I have all my leviton controllers set up in direct associations whenever I can. They will send the zwave signals directly to the device instead of going through the vera and therefore can work without the vera. There is also much lower lag of course. You can even directly associate multiple devices to a button. Direct association is also the only way you will make the dimmer (last button at the bottom) function on the scene controller work so you can dim all kinds of dimmers associated to the button.

Hope this helps.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.