We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Do locks report Open status or just locked?  (Read 936 times)

Offline 416to305

Do locks report Open status or just locked?
« on: October 30, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »
Just wondering if I get a Schlage or Yale lock, do they only report if they are unlocked or locked?  Or do they also know if the door has been opened?  For example, turning a light on when the door opens, vs just when it is unlocked?  Or do I need an additional door sensor for that?

Offline jeff3lo

Re: Do locks report Open status or just locked?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 04:10:39 pm »
I have a Schlage Z-wave lock and with Vera UI5, the screen only shows Locked / Unlocked status.  But you can set up triggers with more options, including Invalid PIN entered... etc.

The lock itself does not detect whether the door is opened or closed (or at least not I am aware of).  For my own implementation, I had to add another door/window sensor for that specific function.

So a combination of door sensor + door lock should give you a pretty good read on the overall status.

Offline 416to305

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 04:36:51 pm »
Great thanks!  I have Insteon hidden door sensors in the doors right now but I think I need to replace them as they seem to send a tripped trigger over and over even if the door is closed.  If I set it to send a notification when the door is open, even if I open the door then close it immediately, I get about 10 in total over 3-4 minutes, where as light switches on Z-Wave etc only notify me once.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:54:32 pm »
Great thanks!  I have Insteon hidden door sensors in the doors right now but I think I need to replace them as they seem to send a tripped trigger over and over even if the door is closed.  If I set it to send a notification when the door is open, even if I open the door then close it immediately, I get about 10 in total over 3-4 minutes, where as light switches on Z-Wave etc only notify me once.

Never heard of that. Must be a bad sensor, should only report once when the device trips. If not could be a notification error. You need to see if the device is really trippin or if it's a message only error.