We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Need Recommendation  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Almo

• Sr. Newbie
Need Recommendation
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:39:57 am »
Any recommended camera, lock and thermostat to work with vera edge?
i remember someone post before about a card who can open the door lock when you near it. can someone  give me a link where to find this card?

Offline mrv777

Re: Need Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 09:12:05 am »
i remember someone post before about a card who can open the door lock when you near it. can someone  give me a link where to find this card?

I cannot comment on the lock.
For a camera though, I would look into using the BlueIris plugin and setting your cameras up through BlueIris.  I use that and I couldn't ask for much more.  My Vera Edge sees all the BlueIris cameras and BlueIris records all of them for me.
As for a thermostat, you have a couple of options.  My person choice is one of the Trane Zwave themostats (you can get them for cheaper on eBay).  Since you are connecting the thermostat to your HA system, you don't need all the extra features that the Nest or Lyric have it, since the HA system can cover those features for you.  This way you are also not relying on a third-party service, your internet connection working to connect to the service, and you save money on the cost of the thermostat.

Offline Almo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:54:02 am »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:06:42 am »
I also use Blueiris and Trane thermostates. I have Kwiksets 910 for locks and they have worked fine for me (altho they are not the best). 

I got rid of wirless cameras as they were not good.

I use Hikvision 3MP POE cameras now.

Offline mrv777

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 11:03:04 am »
I use Hikvision 3MP POE cameras now.

I second this.  Or the dahua.
I have the Dahua and like it.  The only issue I have with it is the nightvision is very washed out.  Looks like the IR lights are reflecting off the glass of the camera some and blinding it a little.  Otherwise the quality is great!  Way nicer then the Foscams I was using

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 11:20:09 am »

I use the kwikset 910 lock with a VeraLite.  There is only one issue I have with them, and that once a restriction is added to a PIN (for example, only active from 9 AM to 5 PM on Wednesdays), the restriction cannot be successfully removed.  This can be worked around by removing the PIN completely and re-adding it though.  This bug has been logged with Vera, but I don't know when it will be fixed.

I'm not sure what you mean about the card...but there are some blue-tooth enabled locks that will sense your phone and unlock. (Need the manufacturer's app though.)  I am not sure if there are any locks out there that support BOTH z-wave and blue-tooth at the same time.  (And typically it requires the latest bluetooth low-energy stack, which many phones don't yet support).

As an alternative with a z-wave lock, you could carry something like a zwave key fob.

I do not know if you can program Vera to unlock your door when the fob comes in range, or if you will need to press one of the scene buttons to unlock the door once you are in range.

As a final alternative, there is Vera's geofencing, but that has it's own limitations on exact range, phone (android and iphone only) and currently only supports one phone.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:21:54 am by JoeyD »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 11:53:03 am »
As a final alternative, there is Vera's geofencing, but that has it's own limitations on exact range, phone (android and iphone only) and currently only supports one phone.

Don't be stuck with VERA's crappy geofence. There are other geofence options that are nice. I use VERA proximity for example on my EDGE.

Offline Grwebster

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 06:50:47 pm »
I had a z-wave Romotec thermostat that I didn't like.  I put in a Honeywell wifi and it is working great.  I program the schedule with the wifi interface and just modify it via the vera.  Have to use the plugin through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Almo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 06:22:13 am »
Tnx to everyone
i decided to go with this lock
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EKHZ46/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A36OFN1P3CFAKA
and this thermostat
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0YVU1Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1O77D5UJY7IVU

not sure yet about the camera.
i hope everything will work fine with the Veraedge

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 02:20:39 pm »
Tnx to everyone
i decided to go with this lock
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EKHZ46/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A36OFN1P3CFAKA
and this thermostat
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0YVU1Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1O77D5UJY7IVU

not sure yet about the camera.
i hope everything will work fine with the Veraedge

I have 4 of those locks at 2 different houses. They work good but the key part can be broken in 10 sec. Just know the limitations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-h64WwfW8

I also buy those store returns locally for 60.00 is why I keep them vs. a harder to break into lock.

The Trane I bought 7 on ebay. One house has 4 for zones. The other house has 2 in the house and 1 in the garage. I bought the tz500 models with optional input sensors for more temp inputs. I paid 90 each for them.

I'm not sure why you didn't buy this one. It's the same thing but cheaper and PRIME on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Trane-TZEMT400BB3NX-SL-Management-Intelligence/dp/B008DNAGBO#productDetails

Offline Almo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 05:28:19 am »

The Trane I bought 7 on ebay. One house has 4 for zones. The other house has 2 in the house and 1 in the garage. I bought the tz500 models with optional input sensors for more temp inputs. I paid 90 each for them.

ok. i will order the same Trane  you suggested.
by the way i coudnt find tz500 model are you sure there is something like that?