Author Topic: Tutorial for U17 upgrade  (Read 8434 times)

Offline DigitalC

• Sr. Newbie
Tutorial for U17 upgrade
« on: November 03, 2014, 11:43:43 am »
Is there a tutorial for upgrading from U15 to U17 (sorry for the duplicate post).

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
Re: Tutorial for U17 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 01:17:55 pm »
Let me spoil the surprise ... the last chapter would show how to revert back to UI5 😰
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:04:10 pm by RichardTSchaefer »

Offline DigitalC

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 03:07:39 pm »
Well, I guess that answers it all  ;D

Thanks

Offline WrightPC

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 12:51:11 am »
I guess I am among the few users that has had a good upgrade experience to UI7.
Here's what I did:
  • I went to http://home.getvera.com/users/login
  • I clicked on the link "I have a new gateway to setup!" even though I already had my gateway set up with an account
  • I selected veralite and entered the serial number and MAC address
  • The website found my veralite, upgraded it, and then took me to the new account creation page.
  • I created a new account and it took me to UI7 on my veralite

All my devices just worked including a CT30 thermostat, two Kwikset locks, a few other switches and outlets, an old android phone running IP Webcam.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 12:57:57 am »
Here's what I did:
  • I clicked on the link "I have a new gateway to setup!" even though I already had my gateway set up with an account
  • The website found my veralite, upgraded it, and then took me to the new account creation page.

All my devices just worked including a CT30 thermostat, two Kwikset locks, a few other switches and outlets, an old android phone running IP Webcam.

It's plugins that don't work, and on the thermostates they have problems in auto mode setting both the heat and the cool temps and turning fan from auto to manual on.

Offline DigitalC

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:00:58 am »
Here's what I did:

Thank you - good info. :D

Offline Sig

• Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 04:24:39 pm »
@WrightPC - from what version did you upgrade to UI7?  Did you jump straight from UI5, or were you on UI6?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 04:44:19 pm »
There are missing features in UI7 as well ... It's really something between an alpha and beta test.

I have a test system ... on it  I am on a test version ... newer than the current  UI7 release ...
My test system would crash after about 7 minutes after making any changes ... turns out they found they forgot to change some code that my system tripped regularly.
The current version I am testing with solves that problem, but has a different set of bugs ...

i.e. there are a lot of land mines in UI7 still ... I have not even considered moving my personal house system to UI7.

Unless you do not mind spending hours trying to figure out why something doesn't work and how to work around it ... I would stay on UI5.

One of these days UI7 will be a  quality release with a good probability that your system will work as expected when you upgrade. It'a just not there yet.
If you do upgrade ... then DO NOT COMPLAIN about bugs and how to convert back. If you upgrade you are asking to be a beta tester and you should expect problems.

Offline Sig

• Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 07:08:50 pm »
Points taken.  Thanks.  I'll stick with UI5 for now.

Offline DigitalC

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 11:16:14 am »
There are missing features in UI7 as well ... It's really something between an alpha and beta test.

I have a test system ... on it  I am on a test version ... newer than the current  UI7 release ...
My test system would crash after about 7 minutes after making any changes ... turns out they found they forgot to change some code that my system tripped regularly.
The current version I am testing with solves that problem, but has a different set of bugs ...

i.e. there are a lot of land mines in UI7 still ... I have not even considered moving my personal house system to UI7.

Unless you do not mind spending hours trying to figure out why something doesn't work and how to work around it ... I would stay on UI5.

One of these days UI7 will be a  quality release with a good probability that your system will work as expected when you upgrade. It'a just not there yet.
If you do upgrade ... then DO NOT COMPLAIN about bugs and how to convert back. If you upgrade you are asking to be a beta tester and you should expect problems.

Thanks - appreciate the info.  I will stay on U15 until U17 is better suited to us novices  ??? ???

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 11:39:07 am »
They just dropped a new UI7 release ... it looks like some missing features have been added ... I will report back after a few days of testing it.

Offline DigitalC

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 02:16:56 pm »
They just dropped a new UI7 release ... it looks like some missing features have been added ... I will report back after a few days of testing it.

Awesome, thank you for responsding

Offline WrightPC

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 11:09:29 pm »
@WrightPC - from what version did you upgrade to UI7?  Did you jump straight from UI5, or were you on UI6?

I switched from UI5 to UI7.

Offline chuck1026

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 06:24:14 pm »
Here's what I did:

I tried this method with my Vera3 (and selected Vera3 instead of VeraLite of course)... failed. I also noticed the last letter in my MAC on their account is E instead of F. I tried adding it on my own with the correct MAC and nope, FAIL.

This is very frustrating...
UI7 / VeraPlus.... YAY, more stable than ever!

Offline resq93

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 12:58:21 pm »

I know this is very old. Can anyone post best practice for upgrading a big system from UI5 to UI7? I tried it a few years ago and had to revert back to UI5

Ty