Author Topic: Linear GD00Z Z-Wave Garage Door Controller  (Read 37385 times)

Offline mrslother

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Linear GD00Z Z-Wave Garage Door Controller
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 09:44:36 pm »
UPDATE (part 2):
I installed the second unit. The sensors don't seem to conflict with the units. Each one works independently and there is no collisions. I need to test it out a bit more, but thus far it looks good! :)

Offline Quek9

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 01:29:38 pm »
UPDATE (part 2):
I installed the second unit. The sensors don't seem to conflict with the units. Each one works independently and there is no collisions. I need to test it out a bit more, but thus far it looks good! :)
Thanks for the update!  I am still trying to decide which option that I am going with.  Does the device still show up as a light bulb?  Is this issue being worked by vera?
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam. I will either find a way, or make one", Hannibal (247?183 BC)

Offline mrslother

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 09:25:58 pm »
In the latest UI7 it does show up as a light bulb. However in the devices view (not the specific device page) the text says "open" or "closed" (as opposed to "on" or "off"). Although I noticed my other light bulbs are now saying "open"/"close". Fix one issue, break another. ;)

Whereas the UI metaphors are a bit broken, the functionality works just fine. I am sure that, over time, they will refine and fix the UI.

I have also decided to revamp my open garage door monitoring. I set it up so that when the garage door is open it will use my Sonos to announce "A garage door is open". It then sleeps for 15 minutes and repeats this process until the door is closed. I am going to change this to having a scene run every 15 minutes. That scene will test if a door is open. If it is then it will announce over Sonos.
I decided to do to accommodate scenarios like power outages. If the Vera reboots for whatever reason I want it to discover the problem. My previous implementation expected a trigger to start the process.

Offline robsin

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 02:12:53 pm »
Just got the GD00Z-3, with Vera Lite 2, firmware v1.7.439. When following the steps to associate, nothing appears to happen. I hold the button on the GD00Z and after about 10 seconds it does a single beep, the after another few seconds it beeps every second or so. The Vera doesn't respond (just keeps counting down). I've tried removing the association (unplugging Vera, going on battery power), and associating manually with the Vera (battery power, not via web interface) and via the web interface, with no response, anybody else? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline robsin

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 05:18:44 pm »
Noob alert... I was holding the button on the GD00Z-3 while syncing, instead of just clicking and releasing. It synced right up.

Offline KenJ

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 05:06:02 pm »
Bought one of these at Lowes today and had no problems getting it paired and installed. The IOS app status is a little weird as it uses on for open and off for closed, but the VeraLite with UI7 shows it correctly as open/closed. Unfortunately, it uses a lightbulb icon and somehow it changed other lightbulbs status to open/closed instead of on/off.

Have noticed a couple of other strange things - the GD00Z seems to have a bit of a delay built in as it will ignore a close that occurs too quickly after an open. The strobe/alarm before moving the door is a bit overkill - millions of doors seem to open just fine with car remotes that don't require this.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:14:05 pm by KenJ »

Offline alden

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 10:03:58 pm »
The strobe/alarm is to alert your SO when they are standing in the doorway (getting ready to take a bike ride) and you close the door from your office.  :)

Offline osmosis

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 11:48:08 pm »
Bought one of these at Lowes today and had no problems getting it paired and installed. The IOS app status is a little weird as it uses on for open and off for closed, but the VeraLite with UI7 shows it correctly as open/closed. Unfortunately, it uses a lightbulb icon and somehow it changed other lightbulbs status to open/closed instead of on/off.

Have noticed a couple of other strange things - the GD00Z seems to have a bit of a delay built in as it will ignore a close that occurs too quickly after an open. The strobe/alarm before moving the door is a bit overkill - millions of doors seem to open just fine with car remotes that don't require this.

The strobe / alarm only activates via the app or internet activation.  A wall mounted, or car remote just opens or closes the door with no alarm strobe.  It's so that if you close the door from the yonders of the internet, the person standing in the garage knows the door is about to move. 

Offline KenJ

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 08:36:17 pm »
I get that. My point was that someone in a car beyond visual site of the garage could cause the same problem that the strobe / beep is supposed to fix for remote control. Someone in the house who hits the button. Someone who just drove off and turned the corner.

Offline osmosis

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 11:20:40 pm »
I get that. My point was that someone in a car beyond visual site of the garage could cause the same problem that the strobe / beep is supposed to fix for remote control. Someone in the house who hits the button. Someone who just drove off and turned the corner.

Yup, I see your point and concur In some cases it's may not be needed.  but I would believe the premise of operating the garage door with the wall remote or the car remote is within sight of or at least with an immediate knowledge of the objects around the door.  ie: if you leave and close the door as you drive away you were just in the garage and closed the door based on your immediate knowledge it was safe to do so.  If I accidentally activate the app at 330 pm while the kids are playing in the driveway / garage it may be good that they are warned the door is closing or opening as no one would be there to say "hey kids, get out of the way of the garage door".  I often clean my car with it half in and half out of the garage. I would want to know if someone activated the door or the other door remotely also, so I could run and trip the electric eye. What if someone thinks "crap, I left the garage door open, looks at app and yup it's open. But really someone who stayed home re-opened the door and is using the garage for a hobby project. 

Offline KenJ

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 07:03:39 pm »
Just an update - I had some other integration issues and although the door opener was working fine, decided to factory reset my VeraLite. During the re-installation process, I realized that I had previous used a switch or generic device type. This time I happened to notice that the Linear GD00Z was listed under Other Devices and used that. When I did that, the correct icon showed up and status text - not the lightbulb icon with on/off.

Offline rstrouse

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 12:22:41 am »
I paired both of mine with the link under the other devices and still have a light bulb and binary lights that say open/closed.
1xVera3 1.7.619, 4xLinear WT00Z, 3xLinear WS15Z, 1xLeviton VRCZ4, 10xCooper RF9540, 1xLeviton VRFI10, 1xLeviton VP00R, 2xLinear GD00Z-4, 1xGE/Jasco 45612, 1xGE/Jasco 45610,  4xGE/Jasco 45605, 2xYale YRD220-ZW-619, 1xCaddx NX584, Autelis Intellitouch Pool Control, OpenSprinkler

Offline KenJ

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 09:42:32 am »
The iOS app is still screwed up, but the VeraLite browser interface seems to be fine under Favorites and the device page. I think I'd prefer if the door were grey when closed and red when opened. Similar to what they do with the light bulb icon for on and off.

Offline paulcusick3

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 10:33:10 am »
Ken - Mine is working, but has a light bulb icon.  Did you have to do anything to get the door?

Offline KenJ

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 03:58:22 pm »
"Did you have to do anything to get the door?"

When installing the device, use the predefined Linear device under Other from the web interface instead of the generic Zwave device or pairing using the buttons on the controller.