Author Topic: Does a motion sensor and light need Vera to work?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline 416to305

Does a motion sensor and light need Vera to work?
« on: November 09, 2014, 05:26:46 pm »
Just wondering, like with Insteon you can buy a motion sensor and wall switch then just link them directly together so that motion turns the light on and then back off after a set period of time when there's no motion.  You don't need a controller or whatever to do that.  Just wondering if that's possible with Z-Wave if I have a Linear dimmer switch, and then a Philio motion sensor, is it possible to link the motion sensor to the Liner device directly if I don't have Vera?  (Asking as this is for a remote property of mine where I wanted to use a spare motion sensor and Linear switch that I have but don't want to get a Veralite just for this one).  Thanks!

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Re: Does a motion sensor and light need Vera to work?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 05:43:40 pm »
Many Z-Wave sensors do support direct control of other Z-Wave devices. This is called association. According to the manual, the Philio motion sensor supports association on Group 2.

You need to use a Z-Wave controller to establish the association link. This could be Vera or one of the hand-held controllers on the market. Once the motion sensor has been programmed for the association, the controller is not required for normal operation.

Offline conchordian

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 01:08:59 am »
Can that association be limited to a certain light level, for instance, or does any condition require a running controller?

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:33:54 am »
Can that association be limited to a certain light level, for instance, or does any condition require a running controller?

Some motion sensors, particularly Multisensors, can be set to trigger only when it is dark. The light level threshold may or may not be adjustable and even then it may only have simple settings like High or Low. Other than this, you cannot normally impose any conditions on an associated action.

Offline oTi@

• Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 06:23:55 am »
Like @RexBeckett said, if you'd like the motion to directly control the lights, then it depends on the features of the motion sensor if that trigger can be made conditional on something else. Having the sensor control Vera and subsequently let Vera control the lights, allows for way more flexibility. For example, the ability to bypass the sensor completely.
Dezwaved at the moment...