We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Having problems with sensors not updating  (Read 1292 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Having problems with sensors not updating
« on: November 17, 2014, 07:10:52 pm »
I'm starting to have problems after more then a year of having my NX-8E connected. Lately once a day or every other day my motions and doors all stop responding in Vera. I notice because my scenes don't activate lights and such then when I check the UI it showing door closed when it's clearly open.

About two months ago I added a self powered USB hub So I could also use Arduino and a USB stick for logging and Datamine. Rosewill RHUB-210 with wall wort power.

I need some help tracking down where the problem is. The plugin opens all tabs, the Serial Port adapter shows up in the list. Just nothing changes until I hit reload (I'm on UI5). After it reloads everything works for a day or two. I have slowed the buad rate down to 9600 thinking maybe the problem was there (hasn't changed). I'm using a 20ft Serial cable to make the connection.

I'm on VeraLite so I started to think maybe overloaded the ram?

Can someone give a few ideas where to start checking. Thanks

Offline futzle

• Master Member
Having problems with sensors not updating
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 02:30:32 am »
It could be almost anything.  I'll need a Luup log.

Edit: sorry, that probably came across as abrupt. I had dinner cooking on the stove at the time.  What I meant to say is: it's very likely that you've hit the overload point on your Vera. I would see similar things happen to the CurrentCost plugin on my Vera2 when it ran for a few days straight. A Luup restart would help for a bit, and the cycle would repeat.

You might not see much amiss in the luup log if it's low memory. If I recall, it happily logs variable changes but doesn't actually act on them.

This might be best debugged by progressively uninstalling memory-hungry plugins and seeing if the problem stabilizes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:49:39 am by futzle »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: Having problems with sensors not updating
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:46:31 am »
Need more info on getting luup log and memory investigation if possible.  Thanks

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:04:43 pm »
Need more info on getting luup log and memory investigation if possible.  Thanks

Both of which can be found on the forum.  Search terms: "Info viewer plugin"; "Vera memory usage".

But seriously, if this is a recent development then it's probably because of something you did recently.  dataMine is renowned for being a memory hog.  Disable it temporarily and give it a few days to see if the frequency of the instability changes.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:47:58 pm »

Both of which can be found on the forum.  Search terms: "Info viewer plugin"; "Vera memory usage".

But seriously, if this is a recent development then it's probably because of something you did recently.  dataMine is renowned for being a memory hog.  Disable it temporarily and give it a few days to see if the frequency of the instability changes.

Thanks I got Info Viewer installed.

Searched "Vera memory usage" and didn't find what I need there. I think I need to SSH in on local network, but if you have a direct link with good info I could use that.

I removed datamine as I only play with it right now and don't use it for real important info.