We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: I Hate UI7!  (Read 12111 times)

Offline steets250

Re: I Hate UI7!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 03:42:25 pm »
Can MyVera add and remove devices, create scenes, change Vera settings, and install apps?

House Modes - A simple MultiSwitch can be used as an alternative to House Modes and can has more flexibility.

I personally don't hate it, I just think that it needs more work before it is something that should be rolled out to the Vera public. (You may say that UI7 is only for users willing to test the software, but Vera support is forcing people to upgrade in order to receive support from them.)

Offline gengen

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 03:50:45 pm »
I have a picture taken in my yard if there is motion, several pictures are taken during the day. Sometimes I check who has been there.
In ui5 I can see the thumbnails in the arcive or I can enlarge one and click next.
In ui7 I have to enlarge evry single...and close it...and open the next...and close...

Thanks, svaleb, for keeping this on-topic. I would like to hear more from people who find features in UI7 which don't measure up compared to UI5.

The problem I ran into with the thermostats actually runs deeper than just the UI. The feature to change the heat and cool setpoints independently was actually (mostly) removed from UPnP actions supported by vera. Please see http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_UPnP_Variables_and_Actions#TemperatureSetpoint1 which was recently changed:
NOTE: On UI7, urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Heat and urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSetpoint1_Cool are obsolete.
However, TemperatureSetpoint1_Heat and TemperatureSetpoint1_Cool are still in the device description files and can still be selected in the Advanced scene editor. However the UI7 scene editor does not handle two UPnP operations on the same device with the same action but different service ID's. Indeed, the advanced scene editor tries to hide the concept of service ID's even though in this case, its very important. Trying to work around this by changing the heat setpoint immediately and the cool setpoint with a 1 second delay creates a valid two-step scene. However, The LuaUPnP engine sends a Set Heat Setpoint Z-Wave command to the thermostat when it should have sent a Set Cool Setpoint command.

Bottom line: this is completely broken in UI7 and should be reverted back to how it was in UI5.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 06:24:40 pm »
You can do this in PLEG ... My Action editor does not play games with the ServiceIDs.
The graphical control is still defined by MCV ... but the advanced editor is defined by available actions for the device.
There are a number of other bugs in the Advanced Action editor for scenes ... i.e. they do not allow you to select any actions ... if there are no control actions.

So things like my Vera Alerts plugin  had their actions hidden from the advanced editor for Scenes.

Offline bucko

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 08:45:37 pm »
Is there any upside that I'm not aware of?

Only if you prefer the colour green to blue and you like wide open (white) spaces.  ;D

:)

I've felt this way about UI7 since I first saw it. Seems like a lot of development resources expended for a minor cosmetic change. So far I'm hard pressed to identify any REAL improvements in performance, ease of use, support, etc., over UI5. Had the same effort been expended on UI5 who knows where we'd be now, support for every Zwave device under the sun, support for Zigbee ... et al.

But there will come a day when they will tell us it's UI7 or nothing ... I'm hoping that day is WAAAAAAAY off.

FYI, That day is NOW. MCV will no longer support UI5.   ???
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline hellovn

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 02:17:44 pm »
I am using UI7 and am quite happy about it. The ios app for ui5 is terrible. All of devices are working great as it should now.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 03:09:11 pm »
I am using UI7 and am quite happy about it. The ios app for ui5 is terrible. All of devices are working great as it should now.

Both factory apps are terrible. Most use Homewave or something similar on iOS

Offline hellovn

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 08:26:35 pm »
I bought veramate for my ios app but I really like the ui7 html5 look of the factory app.

Offline lkh11lkh

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 08:01:37 pm »
I personally don't hate it, I just think that it needs more work before it is something that should be rolled out to the Vera public. (You may say that UI7 is only for users willing to test the software, but Vera support is forcing people to upgrade in order to receive support from them.)

hi steets250

I really agreed with you.
why mcv, die die, must force upgrade each vera public device?
why mcv cant let users of vera owner to choose by themselves whether to upgrade ?

I m using veralite with 8 popp on/off swtiches for very basics simple task only.
but I m facing headache of the following
1. UI7, after 1st week using, its switched on/off by itself where I did not done any changes since 1st day.
2. alerts status at dashboard cannot be deleted nor remove.
3. about 20 unknown devices, sensors, just appear on my device list where I do not have any sensors.
4. mcv support response after 1week then vera should not force upgrade mode on our vera public. why cant remain UI5 instead? sigh

I am very glad to see that most senior of vera owner speak/voice out on the pros/cons of the firmware sincerely.

thanks to all my senior of vera owners

mcv should at least listen & understand our issues, n temporary stop forcing upgrade on our vera public devices.
until UI7 really mature n fesible then informed user the option to upgrade.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:28:05 pm by lkh11lkh »

Offline bisonburgher

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 09:43:15 pm »
From my perspective as an interaction designer and UX architect, I think the primary objectives of Vera's UI7 redesign were probably to make it "modern, flat, and touch-friendly." Insofar as the UI7 design is now responsive, I'd say those objectives have been met. So, kudos for doing something that's been an industry standard for nearly a decade.

The end user experience is still a shambles:
  • Key functionality, such as the "auto" thermostat mode, has been removed without informing users. Who knows what else has changed?
  • Functionality that the user hasn't installed (eg, "Energy" or "Cameras") is hard-coded into the UI and cannot be hidden by user preference.
  • The information architecture (main menu) has been reshuffled, yet there is still no discernible principle by which it's organized. What end user thinks it makes sense to put "Settings" between "Energy" and "Apps"? Why are notification settings found on the "User Info" screen and not under, oh let's say, "Settings"?
  • As the OP says, there are many places where the lack of contrast between foreground & background makes text unreadable.
  • There's no visual hierarchy or relationship between containers, objects or information; eg, the "Welcome xxxxxx" text is the biggest thing on the screen, yet there is no user need for that information. The "Logout" command is in the main menu, while the account ID is in the header and the unit ID is in the top-right corner next to the weather.
  • Device and account configurations are broken into multiple contexts (pages, screens, frames) for no apparent reason. Navigation cues ("Back" to previous context) are inconsistent.
  • There are no visual cues to distinguish interactive objects from static objects -- ie, there's no way to tell what something will do without hovering over or clicking it.
  • Visually identical objects have different behaviors, eg the same "greater than" glyph is used as a navigation link, an inspection link, a panel expander, and a checkbox (on/off switch).
  • There is no support for keyboard or screen reader access.
  • There is no contextual help.

Visually, the UI7 look & feel is inconsistent, unpolished, and cartoonish. (Pro Tip: adapting an interface for touch involves a lot more than simply making everything on the screen larger and farther apart.)

These usability defects are so elementary, I can only conclude that Vera Control, Ltd. lacks basic user experience design (UX) competency and doesn't conduct usability or user acceptance testing. An inscrutable, frustrating product like UI7 is the all-too-predictable result.

Offline Moshman

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 10:06:33 am »
I took the Lowes IRIS back and picked up a Vera Lite with UI7 from a local Tiger Direct retail store in August.

My owner/operator experience has been nothing short of complete and utter exasperation and regret.

The Vera is useless without this forum and its contributers.

I am an IT Engineer with MCSE and CCNP and 25 years of logical thinking and experience and i have never seen anything like this. I should have know better. The last thing I want to do after a long day is come home to this thing.

I just had to reset it to factory and reload a backup followed by hours of heals.

I am done and am now looking for an alternative.

I will still contribute here as you all have been instrumental in maintaining a glimmer of hope for me.

If any of you Vera employees are reading any of our posts - FIX THE GD ZWAVE ROUTING FOR F's SAKE!!!!

Offline mrv777

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 10:13:28 am »
I took the Lowes IRIS back and picked up a Vera Lite with UI7 from a local Tiger Direct retail store in August.

My owner/operator experience has been nothing short of complete and utter exasperation and regret.

The Vera is useless without this forum and its contributers.

I am an IT Engineer with MCSE and CCNP and 25 years of logical thinking and experience and i have never seen anything like this. I should have know better. The last thing I want to do after a long day is come home to this thing.

I just had to reset it to factory and reload a backup followed by hours of heals.

I am done and am now looking for an alternative.

I will still contribute here as you all have been instrumental in maintaining a glimmer of hope for me.

If any of you Vera employees are reading any of our posts - FIX THE GD ZWAVE ROUTING FOR F's SAKE!!!!

Did you only try with UI7 or did you give UI5 a try too?

I do agree, that without this community and the ability to use the Vera directly (cloud connection is not required), I would not consider the Vera.  MCV should hire some of the people in this forum  ;) 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:16:26 am by mrv777 »

Offline Moshman

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 11:30:24 am »
I have so many hours invested in UI7 that I won't consider downgrading for fear of many more hours of senseless hacking, network heals, mysterious device activity etc.

Maybe Ill have the patience and energy to start all over in January.

I could deal with it if any of it made a smidgin of sense or showed any signs of a pattern but the damn thing is all over the map with random problems.

I was outside last night at 10:30 pm and the pool pump (jasco switch) came on. Its scheduled for 2 days from now at 7:30am. WTF? The UI dashboard didnt even show it as being on. I was thinking that the ghost of Ebineezer Scrooge was messing with my pool.

I want it to work and understand the nature of technology but dang, enough-is-enough.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 06:53:54 pm »
I have so many hours invested in UI7 that I won't consider downgrading for fear of many more hours of senseless hacking, network heals, mysterious device activity etc.

Maybe Ill have the patience and energy to start all over in January.

I could deal with it if any of it made a smidgin of sense or showed any signs of a pattern but the damn thing is all over the map with random problems.

I was outside last night at 10:30 pm and the pool pump (jasco switch) came on. Its scheduled for 2 days from now at 7:30am. WTF? The UI dashboard didnt even show it as being on. I was thinking that the ghost of Ebineezer Scrooge was messing with my pool.

I want it to work and understand the nature of technology but dang, enough-is-enough.

UI5 is your solution. UI7 has been problems from day one and still is.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 08:24:03 pm »
I have to second the previous posters. Start from scratch with UI5 and give it another go. I'm pretty sure you'll be a lot less frustrated. Believe me, there is a reason that those of use who have used Vera for a while are still running Ui5. My production Vera 3 is running Ui5 and has been rock solid for the longest time.

I just 'upgraded' my Backup/QA Vera 3 to UI7 and I'm starting to understand your frustrations just trying to start to recreate my existing environment. I'm not even talking adding zwave devices yet.

To put it in perspective for an MCSE.  8)  Consider UI5 like Windows XP and UI7 in it's current incarnation like Windows Vista pre SP
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:28:59 pm by BOFH »
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline gengen

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 06:51:21 pm »
Well, several revisions and tech support requests later, the thermostat problem which I reported back in December is still present in version 7.0.4. I'm really surprised and disappointed that it's taking Vera Controls this long to bring UI7 to the same level of functionality as UI5.

I'm staying with UI5 for a while longer given that I have several scenes which rely on changing the thermostat controls independently.

I've found several other problems and bugs in UI7 which worked perfectly well in UI5.

Have you tried to turn off the Vera3 Wifi Acess Point? As so as you do, you lose local access to your Vera. (Only remote access works.)

Even the things that UI7 supposedly does better than UI5, it doesn't do that well. UI7 introduces four modes (home, away, night, vacation) but we really need more modes. How about a "party" mode which you can use to turn lights on brighter, disable motion sensors and lawn sprinklers and override other "normal" daily schedules which would otherwise interfere with a special occasion?

Some things are now broken since the previous version. I still have no clue as to why 7.0.4 fails to parse the Info Viewer plug-in device XML whereas this worked in 7.0.3.

Frustrating....Totally frustrating!