Author Topic: Well Looks like I will be changing to the new Vera Edge.  (Read 31073 times)

Offline mcgyver210

Well Looks like I will be changing to the new Vera Edge.
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:11:35 pm »
Ever since I received my new Vera3 I have had issues with it loosing ZWave link requiring a power down. So I decided I would need to return it for exchange but I ended up finding out it isn't in-stock anymore but I could exchange for the new Edge which is supposed to be available in the first part of Dec.

So when I receive the new on can anyone tell me if I will have to start from scratch or will I be able to just switch to the new controller? If so can anyone share the steps involved?

Not really a big deal since my system doesn't have much installed yet.
Newbie Starting over soon due to total house fire loss
Vera Edge UI7 (Started with Vera3 UI5 - UI7) |Sclage BE469NX CAM 716, BE369NX CAM 716 | Kwikset 912TNL TRL ZW 11P SMT | Nest Plugin | Iris/Ge On/Off Switch| Iris Garage Door| More to come as wife lets me that is LOL

Offline geotech

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Well Looks like I will be changing to the new Vera Edge.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 08:24:56 am »
According to Tech people I talked to, if you did a back up from UI5 from the previous unit, you can transfer that backup to Vera Edge with UI7. So, no you don't have to, but you may want to re add everything if it is not a big setup because I tried to transfer items from UI5 to UI7 on VeraLite and the unit went into a reboot loop.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:57:45 pm »
Steps to transferr:

On your existing system:
    1) Backup your Vera, Include the Backup Z-Wave Network option
    2) Save the Backup on your Laptop.
    3) remove the power from your old Vera. 
        It Needs to be disconnected from the LAN AND the Z-Wave network!. After you restore to the NEW Vera do NOT turn this on again in your house!!!!
    4) Restore the backup to your new Vera.
        This is now the Z-Wave master ... If you plugin your old Vera things will get very confused. You can't have two Z-Wave masters.

This works when you move between hardware  and/or between UI Versions.
Note: That in the case of the Plugins I write ... you will have to upgrade the plugins after this step if you change UI versions.
That's because I install the appropriate files for the current UI at installation time.

Offline pentium

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 05:58:55 pm »
I have a brand new vera 3, could you tell me more about the exchange program? 

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 08:08:43 pm »
The Edge does not buy many people much performance over the Vera 3 ... the biggest limitation in Vera is the Memory and the Memory size is the SAME!

Offline mcgyver210

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:57:18 pm »
I have a brand new vera 3, could you tell me more about the exchange program?

My exchange is thru Amazon before my 30 days was up. Amazon is very easy you just fill out a return request & explain the reason. They had no Vera3 s instock so they offered a refund or exchange for the new Edge.
Vera Edge UI7 (Started with Vera3 UI5 - UI7) |Sclage BE469NX CAM 716, BE369NX CAM 716 | Kwikset 912TNL TRL ZW 11P SMT | Nest Plugin | Iris/Ge On/Off Switch| Iris Garage Door| More to come as wife lets me that is LOL

Offline mcgyver210

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:03:51 pm »
Thanks for the responses so far.

Richard So moving from the Vera 3 on UI7 I wont have to unenroll the devices & then enroll them again?

Your way doesn't sound that complicated or near as painfull as I thought it would be.

Thanks

Offline mcgyver210

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 06:47:13 pm »
Asking again since I will be receiving my new Edge on Monday:

Richard So moving from the Vera 3 on UI7 I wont have to unenroll the devices & then enroll them again?

Your way doesn't sound that complicated or near as painfull as I thought it would be.

Thanks

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 07:36:52 pm »
You can upgrade your existing Vera to UI7 .. that step is where you are likely to loose things.
People have had problems with Scenes, LUA code, and some plugins.

The transition from Vera Lite to Vera Edge should not be a problem.
It will retain your Z-Wave network if you follow the steps outlined.

But I would only do the Vera Lite Upgrade to UI7 ... if you do not like the results of restoring the UI5 backup on the Vera Edge.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:39:03 pm by RichardTSchaefer »

Offline mcgyver210

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 08:01:10 pm »
You can upgrade your existing Vera to UI7 .. that step is where you are likely to loose things.
People have had problems with Scenes, LUA code, and some plugins.

The transition from Vera Lite to Vera Edge should not be a problem.
It will retain your Z-Wave network if you follow the steps outlined.

But I would only do the Vera Lite Upgrade to UI7 ... if you do not like the results of restoring the UI5 backup on the Vera Edge.

Thanks Richard Im a little confused though on your answer since I have a Vera3 running UI7 already & will be moving to the Vera Edge? I don't & never did have a Vera Lite.

I have a defective Vera3 that keeps loosing the Zwave light which is why I had to exchange.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 08:11:03 pm »
Sorry ... to many threads to keep track of ... your upgrade should be pretty smooth.

It looks like the Vera Edge has a newer Firmware version than the rest of us Vera 3 users have.
Look forward to hearing results of the newer firmware version.

Offline mcgyver210

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 12:08:00 am »
Richard in your above instructions you said not to plug-in the old Vera3 after restoring the backup on the new Edge. Would I need to reset the Vera3 somehow before restoring the Edge since I have to send the Vera3 back to Amazon? Im just thinking I should for security or is sending it back with my Network still in it not a big deal?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 12:13:04 am »
After you are sure you do not need your Vera 3 anymore ...

1) Turn off Your Edge
2) Plugiin your Vera 3 and do a factory reset on it.
3) Then  it will be safe to turn your Edge back on.

Offline mcgyver210

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 12:23:42 am »
Thanks, Wish me Luck I plan on changing to the Vera Edge tomorrow. I only have a few scenes, Dimmers & Locks for devices so hopefully it all goes well. Also have the Nest Plugin.

I plan on trying out you VeraAlerts after I make sure everything works. Still trying to read about benefits over Scene Notifications though. Also not sure how many licenses I will need since there are three of us that get notifications & we all have Phones etc...

Again I appreciate your help.

Offline mcgyver210

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 01:19:04 pm »
Just finished restoring Only device working is the Nest Plugin.

Tried to repair ZWave Network but it failed not looking good so far.