Author Topic: Well Looks like I will be changing to the new Vera Edge.  (Read 30798 times)

Offline mcgyver210

Re: Well Looks like I will be changing to the new Vera Edge.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 03:52:27 pm »
Im all Fixed & everything is running:

I called Vera Support which answered first try & was extremely helpful!

What he said was there was a compatibility issue using Zwave Network Backup from old Zwave Chip.

He asked if I still had the old Vera3 which I did so this was good news.

He actually remotely accessed my system & stated the fix for me but I tried to watch what was happening.

1. He said to Connect/boot-up up the Vera 3 & Vera Edge within one foot of each other.
2. He opened both controllers in my browser.
3. He accessed the Vera3
4. Clicked Settings, Z-Wave Settings, Copy Z-Wave network from a master controller.
5. He accessed the Vera Edge After successful copy & started a Z-Wave Heal which took awhile to complete.
6. He told me to Restore my Back-up again after the heal without the Z-wave Network & all should work.

7. I restored the Back-up without the Z-Wave Network & waited for successful completion.
8. All seems to work including all Scenes etc....

I think I remembered all steps accurately but no Guarantees Sorry Hope it helps someone.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:02:50 pm by mcgyver210 »
Newbie Starting over soon due to total house fire loss
Vera Edge UI7 (Started with Vera3 UI5 - UI7) |Sclage BE469NX CAM 716, BE369NX CAM 716 | Kwikset 912TNL TRL ZW 11P SMT | Nest Plugin | Iris/Ge On/Off Switch| Iris Garage Door| More to come as wife lets me that is LOL

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 03:55:17 pm »
Excellent !
Let's see if some one else can duplicate the steps.
I wonder if you will be able to add any Z-Wave devices with the Edge .. or did he make it a master controller in a subsequent step ?

Offline mcgyver210

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 04:01:45 pm »
Excellent !
I wonder if you will be able to add any Z-Wave devices with the Edge .. or did he make it a master controller in a subsequent step ?

Richard I'm sure you know the general direction I followed & could probably refine the steps needed based on my description.

I did have to go against your directions though having both Veras connected & running at same time which seems to be because of the need to use "Copy Z-Wave network from a master controller"

Thanks for all your help.

Vera Edge UI7 (Started with Vera3 UI5 - UI7) |Sclage BE469NX CAM 716, BE369NX CAM 716 | Kwikset 912TNL TRL ZW 11P SMT | Nest Plugin | Iris/Ge On/Off Switch| Iris Garage Door| More to come as wife lets me that is LOL

Offline mcgyver210

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 04:05:41 pm »
Excellent !

He said it should be the master now & that I just have to push the sync button to include a device now. Unfortunately I was waiting to get my replacement before adding anything else so I don't have anything to add right now.

Offline tinker3433

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 02:10:44 pm »
I was in the same position but with a VeraLite -> Edge

I tried to follow what you (mcgyver210) had posted, but the copy function seemed backward. when initiated on the original unit it timed out "waiting for download".

So I did the copy on the new unit and it also timed out.

So i took a educated guess and started the copy on the New unit, and the "Controller Shift" on the old unit.

They synced up and started transferring.

I am doing the heal now but i wanted to report in in case someone else was working on a conversion

At this point here are the modified steps:

1.   Connect/boot-up up the Vera 3 / VeraLite & Vera Edge within one foot of each other.
2.   Open both controllers in my browser.
3.   Access the New Unit (Vera Edge)
4.   Click Settings, Z-Wave Settings, Copy Z-Wave network from a master controller, Go
5.   Access Original Unit (Vera 3 / VeraLite)
6.   Click Settings, Z-Wave Settings,controller shift, Go
7.   Wait for completion
8.   Access the Vera Edge after a successful copy & start a Z-Wave Heal which will take a while to complete. I had to start the standard repair then when I looked at the report I had the opportunity to start a Network Heal.

I will update as things happen, Good, Bad, or Ugly :-)
 ;)

Offline mcgyver210

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 02:46:39 pm »

I tried to follow what you (mcgyver210) had posted, but the copy function seemed backward. when initiated on the original unit it timed out "waiting for download".

So i took a educated guess and started the copy on the New unit, and the "Controller Shift" on the old unit.

I am doing the heal now but i wanted to report in in case someone else was working on a conversion

1.   Connect/boot-up up the Vera 3 / VeraLite & Vera Edge within one foot of each other.
4.   Click Settings, Z-Wave Settings, Copy Z-Wave network from a master controller, Go
7.   Wait for completion
8.   Access the Vera Edge after a successful copy & start a Z-Wave Heal which will take a while to complete. I had to start the standard repair then when I looked at the report I had the opportunity to start a Network Heal.

;)

Glad it worked sorry for my mistake hopefully it helped more than hindered you. I couldn't retrace every step because I didn't want to mess mine up accidentally since it seems to work well. I will revise my instructions to reflect your findings later. I just know if not done correctly the new one will not be the Master.

I couldn't retrace every step because I didn't want to mess mine up accidentally since it seems to work well.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:48:19 pm by mcgyver210 »

Offline chuck1026

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 03:14:30 pm »

7.   Wait for completion

;)

Glad it worked sorry for my mistake hopefully it helped more than hindered you. I couldn't retrace every step because I didn't want to mess mine up accidentally since it seems to work well. I will revise my instructions to reflect your findings later. I just know if not done correctly the new one will not be the Master.

I couldn't retrace every step because I didn't want to mess mine up accidentally since it seems to work well.

George in Tech Support is going to help me do this tomorrow. I shared the steps from earlier and he said something was missing but didn't go into details... maybe I'll try this tonight just cuz... LOL. I am an expert at restoring UI5 and can do it in my sleep!
UI7 / VeraPlus.... YAY, more stable than ever!

Offline tinker3433

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 03:52:28 pm »
1.   Create a Backup from the Old unit
2.   Connect/boot-up up the Vera 3 / VeraLite & Vera Edge within one foot of each other.
3.   Open both controllers in my browser.
4.   Access the New Unit (Vera Edge)
5.   Click Settings, Z-Wave Settings, Copy Z-Wave network from a master controller, Go
6.   Access Original Unit (Vera 3 / VeraLite)
7.   Click Settings, Z-Wave Settings,controller shift, Go
8.   Wait for completion
9.   In Z-Wave settings, Options. the Old Unit will now show: Role: Slave SIS: NO PRI: NO         New unit will show Role: Master SIS: NO PRI: YES
10.   You should be safe to disconnect the Old unit now.
11.   Access the Vera Edge and Start the standard repair then click on the Report button and you will get the option to start a Z-Wave Heal.
12.   Wait for it to complete.
13.   Restore Back-up from the Old unit onto the New unit after the Network Heal, without the Z-wave Network & all should work.

It works fine for Z-Wave, and the Insteon devices show up under Devices. but do not respond.  The top blue bar shows "No Insteon" and in Settings, Insteon Settings. the port Shows blank or "False". not sure how to fix that. what does yours show mcgyver210?.I tried putting in /dev/ttyUSB0, it saves it ok but it is blank again when circle back. Also tried Remove INSTEON Interface and re-adding with the wizard. No luck. Called MCV, Voicemail.

So close and yet so far......
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:39:18 pm by tinker3433 »

Offline d55m14

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 04:12:06 pm »
1.   Create a Backup from the Old unit
2.   Connect/boot-up up the Vera 3 / VeraLite & Vera Edge within one foot of each other.
3.   Open both controllers in my browser.
4.   Access the New Unit (Vera Edge)
5.   Click Settings, Z-Wave Settings, Copy Z-Wave network from a master controller, Go
6.   Access Original Unit (Vera 3 / VeraLite)
7.   Click Settings, Z-Wave Settings,controller shift, Go
8.   Wait for completion
9.   In Z-Wave settings, Options. the Old Unit will now show: Role: Slave SIS: NO PRI: NO         New unit will show Role: Master SIS: NO PRI: YES
10.   You should be safe to disconnect the Old unit now.
11.   Access the Vera Edge and Start the standard repair then click on the Report button and you will get the option to start a Z-Wave Heal.
12.   Wait for it to complete.
13.   Restore Back-up from the Old unit onto the New unit after the Network Heal, without the Z-wave Network & all should work.

IT works for Z-Wave, and the Insteon devices show up but the top blue bar shows "No Insteon" and in Settings, Insteon Settings. the port Shows False. not sure how to fix that. what does yours show mcgyver210?

Hi tinker3433,

after the migration to VerEdge if I would to restore the old Veralite/3 I've to use the backup of step 1) ?

Is this sufficient to restore the old system or I've to go through the step from last to first ?

tnks

donato

Offline tinker3433

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 04:41:12 pm »
Not sure if i am getting what you are asking.  The original config will still be on the old unit, it is just set as "Slave" now instead of "Master". To shift back I would think you can just restore the backup and that should make it the master because that is what was saved in the config.  But if not you should be able to transfer the "Master" back from the VeraEdge.  but i am just guessing. and I only have mine 1/2 working at this point. so .....

Offline d55m14

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 04:51:31 pm »
Not sure if i am getting what you are asking.  The original config will still be on the old unit, it is just set as "Slave" now instead of "Master". To shift back I would think you can just restore the backup and that should make it the master because that is what was saved in the config.  But if not you should be able to transfer the "Master" back from the VeraEdge.  but i am just guessing. and I only have mine 1/2 working at this point. so .....

Hi tinker3433,

thank you for your feedback but I'd like to be quite sure to get active the old system if something of important is not working on the new VeraEdge.

I think in this situation (new hardware with new software not compatible with the actuals active systems (Veralite/Vera3)) should be a task of MCV .

I wrote to MCV support but no answer until now.

Donato

Offline tinker3433

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 05:11:14 pm »

Hi tinker3433,

thank you for your feedback but I'd like to be quite sure to get active the old system if something of important is not working on the new VeraEdge.

I think in this situation (new hardware with new software not compatible with the actuals active systems (Veralite/Vera3)) should be a task of MCV .

I wrote to MCV support but no answer until now.

Donato

Yes, if you are not an experimenter that this is definitely not for you.
I am willing to roll the dice and have some fun. ;)

Offline jasperhb

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 03:25:52 am »
Hi,

I followed the steps here in this thread to upgrade from Vera3 to VeraEdge. Thanks for that :-)

The upgrade process was uneventful and seemed to work as descibed. However, the result is not optimal.  Everything seems to have been migrated, however there three issues known to me at this point:
  • All battery driven devices are reporting "Can't Detect Device" and are not working. That includes Thermostats, Motion Detectors, Thermometers etc. All worked fine before the migration.
  • Under "Settings/Z-Wave Settings" in the Options Tab: HouseID/Node: has a Node value of "3d". My understanding is that this value should be "1".
  • Under "Settings/Z-Wave Settings" in the Options Tab: Role value reporting "Master SIS: NO PRI: YES".
2) & 3) suggests to me that VeraEdge is not in the right role/mode. If this could be the cause of 1) I don't know yet, as I have found no way of changing the node value or the role and nor have tech support.

I spend 2+ hours on the phone with support yesterday. They even tried to go through the whole migrating process all over again but with no luck. Now, I'm waiting for them to come back, but I have no idea when and if that will happen.

Non-battery devices seem to work fine and so does everything else, although it is difficult to test as many of my scenes are based on both battery driven devices and non-battery driven devices.

I have to say that I am baffled that there are no offical guidelines on how to do this. It is hardly a supprise that customers will upgrade, nor does it seem economical optimal that I and others spend hours on the phone with support technitians compared to MVC just spending the time up front documenting the upgrade steps?!

Anyway, if anyone have some good suggestings on how to approach 1, 2 & 3. above, I'd be curious to hear about this. 

Thanks.

Update:
The issues above remains, however I tested adding a new battery driven devices and the process of adding the devices seemed to work just fine. Also, the devices is reporting to work fine initially.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:14:04 am by jasperhb »

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 10:22:34 am »
You have to do a HEAL of the entire Z-Wave network after upgrading.
The more devices you have the longer a HEAL takes. 

Offline jasperhb

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 10:32:48 am »
You have to do a HEAL of the entire Z-Wave network after upgrading.
The more devices you have the longer a HEAL takes.

I've done a: Settings/Z-Wave Settings/Repair -> GO.

Is that what you mean by a HEAL? If so, I've done it twice without it fixing the issue. The process takes about 1,5 hour each time.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:35:05 am by jasperhb »