Author Topic: Well Looks like I will be changing to the new Vera Edge.  (Read 30576 times)

Offline tinker3433

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Well Looks like I will be changing to the new Vera Edge.
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 11:33:24 am »
You have to do a HEAL of the entire Z-Wave network after upgrading.
The more devices you have the longer a HEAL takes.

I've done a: Settings/Z-Wave Settings/Repair -> GO.

Is that what you mean by a HEAL? If so, I've done it twice without it fixing the issue. The process takes about 1,5 hour each time.

Here is how i got it to Heal
Access the Vera Edge and Start the standard repair then click on the Report button and you will get the option to start a Z-Wave Heal.

Offline jasperhb

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 02:27:59 pm »
You have to do a HEAL of the entire Z-Wave network after upgrading.
The more devices you have the longer a HEAL takes.

I've done a: Settings/Z-Wave Settings/Repair -> GO.

Is that what you mean by a HEAL? If so, I've done it twice without it fixing the issue. The process takes about 1,5 hour each time.

Here is how i got it to Heal
Access the Vera Edge and Start the standard repair then click on the Report button and you will get the option to start a Z-Wave Heal.

Thanks for the hint. I ran yet another repair and this time the Healing option became available after the repair was done.

Healing is going to take half a day or so but the good thing is that it seems to be slowly chewing it's way through the Z-wave Network.

As of the time of writing it is at "Stage 6 of 7 Waiting for 16 of 17 to wake up". I've tried waking up a few devices manually, but that doesn't seem to do anything for progress of the process. I Guess, I just have to wait for it to figure things out by itself. ... The excitment is building :-)

Update #1:

A few minutes later VeraEdge reported: "SUCCESS! Z-Wave network heal successful".

However, all battery driven devices are STILL reporting "Can't Detect Device" :-(

What now?

Update #2
I'm re-running the repair/heal and this time its taking considerably longer. My guess is that the previous heal must have failed.

Update #3
After a very long repair/healing process the result is unfortunately still the same: All battery driven devices are STILL reporting "Can't Detect Device" :-(

I'm waiting for a response from MVC. Meanwhile the heating in the house is not working. :-(
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:03:14 am by jasperhb »

Offline chuck1026

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 02:52:06 pm »
George in Tech Support migrated my existing UI5  Vera3 to a new VeraEdge on UI7.

Part of my problem according to George, "It seems that you have a few scenes with luup code and recurring timers. But this has been reported to our development team some time ago and will be fixed in the next update that should be released later this month."

He also said, "As for the transition instructions we?ll release them later this week or early next week. We need to run multiple possible scenarios and I would highly advise that you recommend any forum users to check with us so the transition will be smooth and no other issues encountered."

I still need to heal my network... we'll see how it turns out.

To be continued.
UI7 / VeraPlus.... YAY, more stable than ever!

Offline jasperhb

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 02:58:12 pm »

Part of my problem according to George, "It seems that you have a few scenes with luup code and recurring timers. But this has been reported to our development team some time ago and will be fixed in the next update that should be released later this month."

Yes, the recurring timer issue is also an issue that I've fought with previously. To the point where I now have some code running externally to the Vera (in Windows Azure actually, but that is a long story  :) ) to manage timing when needed.

Glad that they are working on the documentation. I think that will help us all. It's a win-win :-)

Offline tinker3433

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 03:49:09 pm »
Just got off the phone with MCV support. 

They said the Insteon PLM not being found is a known issue and will also be fixed in the next update.  :(

Offline mrv777

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 04:22:21 pm »
Just got off the phone with MCV support. 

They said the Insteon PLM not being found is a known issue and will also be fixed in the next update.  :(

Any hint to when the next update is supposed to be?  It sounds like they have been saying a good amount of bugs will be resolved in this month's release

Offline tinker3433

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 04:55:23 pm »
They told me 2 weeks

Offline mcgyver210

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 05:42:26 pm »

It works fine for Z-Wave, and the Insteon devices show up under Devices. but do not respond.  The top blue bar shows "No Insteon" and in Settings, Insteon Settings. the port Shows blank or "False". not sure how to fix that. what does yours show mcgyver210?.I tried putting in /dev/ttyUSB0, it saves it ok but it is blank again when circle back. Also tried Remove INSTEON Interface and re-adding with the wizard. No luck. Called MCV, Voicemail.

So close and yet so far......

Im sorry I don't have any Insteon devices so mine just shows a wizard setup.

Guys I also only have a very limited setup because I decided to wait for my defective Vera3 to be replaced before doing much. I have 4 Schlage & 1 Kwikset Lock along with dimmers & Scenes.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:58:58 pm by mcgyver210 »
Newbie Starting over soon due to total house fire loss
Vera Edge UI7 (Started with Vera3 UI5 - UI7) |Sclage BE469NX CAM 716, BE369NX CAM 716 | Kwikset 912TNL TRL ZW 11P SMT | Nest Plugin | Iris/Ge On/Off Switch| Iris Garage Door| More to come as wife lets me that is LOL

Offline tinker3433

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 11:51:36 am »
Well, that's one question answered:

Hi Jeff,
Unfortunately Insteon modem is not compatible with VeraEdge currently.
Also we are aware that some of the settings from the networking menu cannot be saved.
I am really sorry for the inconvenience but our development team already have this on their working tables and it should be available in a future update of the UI7.
Kind Regards,

John.
Tech Support
Phone: +1 (866) 966-2272
Email: support@getvera.com
Web: http://support.getvera.com
Hours of Operation: Monday ? Friday 12:00am to 6:00pm Pacific Time
Live chat : http://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/chats/new

Offline airedale

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 09:37:17 pm »
I bet if you were using the PLM on something like a Raspberry PI it would work with Altsteon. I have that config and am about to upgrade. I'll let you know if it works.

Offline airedale

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2014, 08:24:34 am »
Glad I didn't really make a bet here!  ;D

I need to dive a little deeper into this, but from a high level, I tried adding all of the Altsteon devices as new devices on the Vera Edge, pointing it to the Raspberry PI which has successfully worked for a long time. When I go to turn on or off the light on the fan, the Luup Engine restarts.

Offline tinker3433

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2014, 09:22:23 am »
That sucks,  :(
Hopefully the 2 week timeframe is correct and the new release will fix it for both of us.

Offline tyfoon

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 07:25:02 am »
Just got my VeraEdge in. As I'm upgrading from a VeraLite my preferred scenario is to have a (full config) working VeraLite (as is now in UI5) and a new VeraEdge on UI7 (with the config from my VeraLite). This way I can always go back to VeraLite with a working config if the Edge does not work well.

So to double-check; after running the 'upgrade procedure' as described above to get a working VeraEdge; can I still downgrade my VeraLite to UI5 with my old config?

p.s. I understand I cannot run them together at the same time.

Offline dreamgreenhouse

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2014, 03:35:01 pm »
The new firmware was released 19th Dec.  It hasn't fixed the timer issues and scenes with LUA code issues that I was having. If anything, the Vera is even less reliable than it was. I seem to have to power cycle it once a day at least now :-(

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2014, 04:39:43 pm »
Just got my VeraEdge in. As I'm upgrading from a VeraLite my preferred scenario is to have a (full config) working VeraLite (as is now in UI5) and a new VeraEdge on UI7 (with the config from my VeraLite). This way I can always go back to VeraLite with a working config if the Edge does not work well.

So to double-check; after running the 'upgrade procedure' as described above to get a working VeraEdge; can I still downgrade my VeraLite to UI5 with my old config?

p.s. I understand I cannot run them together at the same time.

I was/am in the same boat as you. Everything on my Lite is working (not overloaded yet). I tried and have went back to UI5.

I have also setup edge. I currently only testing EDGE with the plugins (as that's where most problems are). I have an alarm panel (Caddx) plugged into my LITE. Well that don't work with edge yet (the usb to serial adaptor) so without that all my exterior doors and windows and garage won't work. So that enough for me to wait right there.

I have also installed PLEG and the rest of my other plugins to test and get used to ui7.

I would suggest you just setup and test on the edge right now without moving over your main until you know everything is going to be atleast as good as what you have. It's also a chance to get used to ui7.