Author Topic: New Product - GE 12730 Z-Wave In-Wall Smart Fan Controller  (Read 11499 times)

Offline Kmitchel

Re: New Product - GE 12730 Z-Wave In-Wall Smart Fan Controller
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 09:55:24 am »
How did you get yours to pair?  Mine will not pair to save my life, I've tried about 20 times.  The instructions that came with the box just indicate to "follow controller directions".

Do you press the little button on the left on the switch in conjunction with the fan up/down to activate the pair?

The fan works great to turn the fan on/off, but I can't get it to pair with my Vera.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 02:18:22 pm »
How did you get yours to pair?  Mine will not pair to save my life, I've tried about 20 times.  The instructions that came with the box just indicate to "follow controller directions".

Do you press the little button on the left on the switch in conjunction with the fan up/down to activate the pair?

The fan works great to turn the fan on/off, but I can't get it to pair with my Vera.

First of all there is not a little button on the left of the switch. There is an "AIR GAP" which when pulled out it will disconnect the power to the switch and the fan. All GE switches have this.

If this was pulled out the switch would not work at all so your currently must be pushed in already.

2nd what type of controller do you have and which UI are you running.

You need to go to add devices and select generic z-wave device and then when it says add device now go flip the switch on and off. Until you see on the UI that is says device added or configuring device.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 01:13:37 pm »
What is the verdict on the qualify & functionality? I'm thinking about getting 4 of these but want to make sure they work peroperly and don't induce humming, etc.

As for how it shows up in Vera, an Amazon review said:
'advertises itself with a device type identifier of a lighting dimmer switch (0x1101), and NOT of a z-wave fan control (identifier 0x1108.)"

In Vera, should we be able to manually point the device to be a Fan controller?

Offline johnes

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 10:12:13 am »
My fan is controlled solely through a remote, so I am guessing this product wouldn't work for me?  The wall switch simply turns the fan on or off, but all of the controls are via remote.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 10:16:10 am »
My fan is controlled solely through a remote, so I am guessing this product wouldn't work for me?  The wall switch simply turns the fan on or off, but all of the controls are via remote.

all fans have separate controls for light & fan... yours just terminates in the ceiling. You can check to see if they ran the wires to the wall box (outlet) and just didn't use them. If they didn't, you can run new wires from the fan box to the wall... this is what I will need to do for mine so I feel your pain :)

Offline johnes

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 11:03:16 am »
From the ceiling fan to the wall, there are separate wires for light and fan.  Right now, the one for light is unused and the other connects to the fan.  That will cut power / give power to the fan, but since it's controlled only through the remote, if I use the switch to turn the fan off, flipping the switch on won't turn the fan on - just give it power so that the remote can turn it on.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 09:34:36 pm »
From the ceiling fan to the wall, there are separate wires for light and fan.  Right now, the one for light is unused and the other connects to the fan.  That will cut power / give power to the fan, but since it's controlled only through the remote, if I use the switch to turn the fan off, flipping the switch on won't turn the fan on - just give it power so that the remote can turn it on.

What happens is you leave the fan controller on high (or you remove the fan controller from inside the fan) and when you turn on the fan switch it will come on high........

Then when you use this fan switch, it lowers the voltage and slows the fan down.

So when you assume that it is only controlled by the remote, that's because you don't have a dimming or variable speed switch yet installed. You current switch only has on or off and your controller is currently lowering the voltage (or dimming the power) and slowing the fan down.

Offline BigE-TX

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 04:40:47 pm »
Just installed this in our snore "guest" room along with GE switches for the fan and closet lights.  They seem to work well thus far.  As I recall, the GE switches do NOT determine wattage readings and I must input them manually.  Correct?  Any idea if a cheapo builder grade [ie $50] fan motor would draw about 75 watts [w/o light kit of course]?

Most important question...Is there a patch for the device settings that would allow it to display a fan icon instead of a light?  Thanks.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 08:02:10 pm »
Most important question...Is there a patch for the device settings that would allow it to display a fan icon instead of a light?  Thanks.

Imperihome or Homewave allows allows you to use any icon you can find from the internet or make yourself. Customization from layout, icons, and everything is your choice. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:10:13 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline BigE-TX

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 01:18:09 pm »
Thanks.  I installed Imperihome about a week ago on my android phone and am still in early config stages.  It seems to have come a long way since I first used it.  Have been using Autohomation HD which I've become rather happy with, but since the developer has stopped working on it -in favor of OpenHAB- suspect I will need to re-consider Imperihome.  Not yet familiar with Homewave.  Thank you once again.

Offline kenray536

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 12:48:37 pm »
Great find! I'm looking forward to picking up a couple of these. I've been using the standard on/off switches and it will be nice to be able to control the fan speed as well.
Vera 3 1.5.677 - DSC Envisalink 3 - Wemo - Philips Hue - Harmony - Wink Hub - Sonos - Echo Vera Bridge - HomeKit Bridge - GE - AEON Labs - Evolve - Leviton - Schlage - Honeywell - Ring Doorbell - Eagle Rainforest Bidgely

Offline doctorkb

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 05:39:48 pm »

I know this is an old thread, but it seemed this question hadn't been fully answered.

Pairing is simple - get your Vera to the "add device" section and waiting for pairing.  Then press the "up" side of the rocker switch.  The instructions warn that you may need to be within 10-20' of your controller, but I didn't experience that.

Offline johnes

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 09:14:17 pm »

What happens is you leave the fan controller on high (or you remove the fan controller from inside the fan) and when you turn on the fan switch it will come on high........

Then when you use this fan switch, it lowers the voltage and slows the fan down.

So when you assume that it is only controlled by the remote, that's because you don't have a dimming or variable speed switch yet installed. You current switch only has on or off and your controller is currently lowering the voltage (or dimming the power) and slowing the fan down.

OMG.  This is awesome.  My fan has a DC motor and I thought you weren't supposed to use a dimmer switch.  Maybe this gadget does something different?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 09:41:57 pm »

OMG.  This is awesome.  My fan has a DC motor and I thought you weren't supposed to use a dimmer switch.  Maybe this gadget does something different?

This is not made for a DC application. You would have to check your Fan manual to see if you can dim the AC voltage (which I suspect no) side. This is what this switch would do. If your DC fan says that it would work in a standard fan dimmer application then your good to go.

Offline johnes

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2017, 03:39:43 pm »
Seems to work... just wish there way a way to have it show as a fan object in Vera and not a dimmer...