Author Topic: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email  (Read 80094 times)

Offline pentium

Re: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2015, 09:26:41 am »
Wow, it just doesn't pay to go on vacation.  I come back to find an 18 page dialogue that has broken my heart and my spirit.  I admit that i am only a user and my only contribution was to try to help anyone I could with the limited knowledge that I had acquired from applying the forum contributions to my own experience.  My contribution to vera was to help friends and family order their vera unit and build varying levels of home control for their needs and amusement.  In a way I am glad that I have been away for two months because it gave me an interesting perspective to read all of these pages in one sitting.  Basically vera is losing developers on a daily basis, they have shown nothing towards product bug or development controls, and they still wish to control maintenance via email.  Frankly, from the beginning to the end of this thread, the only thing that is new is that mvc is trying to do some damage control by actually making an appearance. 

I don't know if anyone remembers IBM, but there was always the joke about the woman who had been married multiple years and was still a virgin because her husband was an IBM salesman and all he would do was sit on the bed and tell her how good it was going to be.  I feel like I just read that joke in this thread.

chixxi, I applaud your actions.  I will suffer from them, but given all of the months of issues I always wondered why you and the others continued to bang your heads against the wall trying to deal with an absolute nightmare of attempting to help a community without any proper support from mcv.  Now they are scrambling to put a patch on it but it is very apparent that the writing is on the wall.  I wonder if the veramate developer has committed suicide by now.

I particularly liked how Marc and Colin had the audacity to feel insulted about negative comments regarding their product and support.  Again, from reading the summary, they didn't even admit to an email snafu until much later after everyone was further insulted by being left off of the list of free development resources.  I have always like what Lee Travino said to a golfer that was screaming about his missed shot...  "Son, you aren't good enough to be upset".  Well mcv, neither are you.

I was already becoming concerned that virtually my entire collection of HA application uses were dependent upon volunteer efforts which could easily evaporate into thin air and given their treatment I could never blame them.  Even though it is a fraction of their time spent, I as a user have also invested a great deal of time and money into the use of vera with the expectation that vera was trying to offer a competent product and that the forum would thrive.  I have been in system development for over 30 years and I have never before seen such a vast resource completely ignored by management.  Vera edge, from any out of the box perspective, is dead.  My unused vera3 that I had intended for ui7 conversion is available to anyone that wants it.  My vera lite will be available as soon as I can find a new product worth investing my time and energy into home integration.  I too am ashamed for putting these products into the homes of friends and family and now will be burdened with their replacements as well.

I hate to start a list of the developers that have helped me so much over the years because I know i will miss one and I don't want to cause you guys any more pain.  Thank you and good luck.  Without your apps, I have no use for vera.  I hope mcv's new concept of a point man works out for you.  I am confident there are many behind the scenes conversations going on and I hope they are productive.  I know you are all savvy enough to know whether to believe their rhetoric or whether it is worth it to give them another chance and I only hope that they don't further disappoint you. 

So mcv, you should also recognize that the user community has expectations that you are failing on as well.  From what i have seen in the past, it is perfectly clear that you only care to get a box out and the money in.  You will not survive with that business model.  Your biggest problem is that there aren't enough free edge boxes, or frankly even enough money to begin to compensate these great developers for their time, energy, compassion and outright genius.  You blew it and you are still blowing it.  When are you going to learn that your promises are empty and only make the forum feel more stupid for getting sucked in again?  You should be ashamed, I am ashamed for you.  It would be interesting to know how many mcv employees are jumping ship and floating their resumes all over the world. 

And lastly, I want to thank this particular thread for helping me make the decision to move forward.  I can't thank all of you enough, I have learned so much.  It is now time to go learn something else.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:02:28 pm by pentium »

Offline racarter

« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2015, 06:31:00 pm »
@pentium

I think your post has nicely summarised the thoughts of a number of members of this forum, myself included.

In common with several other developers here I've just installed openHAB on a Raspberry Pi 2 and so far the results are encouraging.  The only issue is that I now need to master Java to rewrite my plug-ins for openHAB, but if openHAB continues to improve - and MCV continue to treat their unpaid developers as they do - I can see myself changing platforms sometime in 2015.
Indigo, Vera Edge (for Datamine only), Everspring and TKBHOME socket switches, SM103 door detectors, Homepro ZRP210 appliance modules, Fibaro relay switches, EZMotion, Heatmiser thermostats, Netatmo Weather, Camera and Healthy Home, Hikvision DVR/CCTV, Sonos, Texecom, Diax motorised deadlock.

macrho

« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2015, 07:09:02 pm »
The question is what to move to. I gather OpenHAB can handle the majority of the work that Vera does sans security classes kind of stuff.  I'm not sure the grass will be any greener on that side or any other. I haven't heard of other vendors to try and move to. Vera isn't at a price point to expect miracles. For me, the whole appeal is/was the developers and those guys freely sharing their sweat and making diverse devices work in this ecosystem. I'm not sure how representative the sample of Vera forum users is to their overall base -- probably not so much.  It just seems rather silly to me for Vera to not put a large number of resources into cultivating this developer group to push their product forward.  But I'm a guy who buys a 4k tv and upgrades his graphics card to push out (close to) 4k gaming on his HTPC. We aren't the normal customers. or perhaps I'm not. they just are frustrating, their lack of response to customers speakers volumes. well, to me, anyway.. for what it's worth

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2015, 07:46:51 pm »
The question is what to move to. I gather OpenHAB can handle the majority of the work that Vera does sans security classes kind of stuff.  I'm not sure the grass will be any greener on that side or any other. I haven't heard of other vendors to try and move to. Vera isn't at a price point to expect miracles. For me, the whole appeal is/was the developers and those guys freely sharing their sweat and making diverse devices work in this ecosystem. I'm not sure how representative the sample of Vera forum users is to their overall base -- probably not so much.  It just seems rather silly to me for Vera to not put a large number of resources into cultivating this developer group to push their product forward.  But I'm a guy who buys a 4k tv and upgrades his graphics card to push out (close to) 4k gaming on his HTPC. We aren't the normal customers. or perhaps I'm not. they just are frustrating, their lack of response to customers speakers volumes. well, to me, anyway.. for what it's worth

I'm surprised after reading through this thread that some are still upset (no offense @pentium). They've actually been quite responsive as of late and are pushing out monthly firmware updates (for UI7). They are also pushing out developer resources and are keeping us apprised of those things.

Is the hardware there yet? No, but at this point, I'm optimistic with the back and forth and hoping that maybe the hardware 'might' get better with the next iteration. Its not perfect now, but it is enough for my current needs.

They've made mistakes and made bad promises in the past, so I understand that a lot of people aren't very trusting. The evidence as of late though shows that perhaps they are seeing the error of their ways.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

macrho

« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:43 pm »
I'm surprised after reading through this thread that some are still upset (no offense @pentium). They've actually been quite responsive as of late and are pushing out monthly firmware updates (for UI7). They are also pushing out developer resources and are keeping us apprised of those things.

Is the hardware there yet? No, but at this point, I'm optimistic with the back and forth and hoping that maybe the hardware 'might' get better with the next iteration. Its not perfect now, but it is enough for my current needs.

They've made mistakes and made bad promises in the past, so I understand that a lot of people aren't very trusting. The evidence as of late though shows that perhaps they are seeing the error of their ways.

Perhaps not upset but disappointed. Granted, it's going to take them a while to change course but as one sees more developers bailing or stopping development, one takes a bit of pause.I still can't rely on all my automation from Vera. Perhaps 8-10% of the time I'll find my simple scenes (turn outside lights on at dusk and shut them off at dawn) not firing. Sure, I bought PLEG but shouldn't something as simple as that work in Vera? maybe my expectations are too high :D  but the proof is in the pudding and as more respected members of the forum talk about positive developments, I"ll be happy to stay the course but I don't get that warm, fuzzy feeling. Perhaps that's because I need to refill my snifter of bourbon

Offline vosmont

« Reply #260 on: March 05, 2015, 06:03:34 pm »
Hello,

are there some news concerning the simulator and next firmware ?

I started to rework my plugins for UI7 and develop others, but I will stop for now.
The dashboard view is not usable for complex plugin :
- the content is limited to a height of 100 pixels
- scenegroup is limited to 33 pixel height (1 unit), while multi_state button is 55 pixel height (1.5 unit)

have you planned to change plugin dashboard view ? (screenshots from the simulator suggest it will be)

Offline slajgaj

« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2015, 10:01:34 am »
Where is this "plugin" ?:)

Marc Shenker

« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2015, 11:28:08 am »
The device simulator will be in the next firmware release which will be available soon. (I do not have a date yet for the release I will post in the official announcement area when it becomes available.)

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #263 on: March 09, 2015, 11:36:04 am »
Marc, if you haven't already, can you check out the Virtual Panel plugin thread? Any chance the MIOS Android/iOS apps could include support for that one in the next or 1st after next release?
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Marc Shenker

« Reply #264 on: March 09, 2015, 06:35:14 pm »
Marc, if you haven't already, can you check out the Virtual Panel plugin thread? Any chance the MIOS Android/iOS apps could include support for that one in the next or 1st after next release?

Thanks. I passed it up the food chain.

Marc Shenker

« Reply #265 on: March 09, 2015, 06:38:46 pm »
UI7 ▾ Version 7.0.5 (1.7.541/1.7.1018) is now live and available for download.

The device simulator is in this update.

The release notes can be found here: http://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/articles/1908417-ui7-%E2%96%BE-version-7-0-5-1-7-541-1-7-1018-%E2%96%BE-mar-9-2015

Offline ServiceXp

« Reply #266 on: March 09, 2015, 06:52:17 pm »

The release notes can be found here: http://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/articles/1908417-ui7-%E2%96%BE-version-7-0-5-1-7-541-1-7-1018-%E2%96%BE-mar-9-2015

Wow, that's a big update. Nice work!
U.S.A Vera 3

Offline Stuart

« Reply #267 on: March 09, 2015, 08:08:51 pm »

I do not want to sound negative but .....

Unfortunately - this release it broke / redefined the behavior of the UI prior to the upgrade.   In Chrome:  Attachment 1  (2 different variables) used to display as separate lines - now they are 'mushed' together.  Attachment 2 shows as two lines (I'm guessing it wrapped) - but of course the simulator (attachment 3) says it should look like one line .....   BUT, that's not the way the JSON is defined  .....

Can we PLEASE have some decent documentation on how the JSON is supposed to be formatted and how it's supposed to affect the UI ?   At this point I have no idea whether I have a bug, you have a bug, the behavior has been redefined, or the phase of the moon is wrong ....

Marc Shenker

« Reply #268 on: March 09, 2015, 08:33:07 pm »
Stuart, I forwarded your post to the Dev Team to look at first thing.

Marc Shenker ▾ Training Manager

Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control
www.getvera.commarc@getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #269 on: March 09, 2015, 08:49:33 pm »
It's broken the Virtual Panel plug layout elements as well. Made a right mess of the layout. See before and after pics attached. Note that a button and a new variable were added after I took the before pic but the layout stayed the same.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:57:22 pm by BOFH »
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W