We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email  (Read 87058 times)

Offline kigmatzomat

Re: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2015, 08:29:23 am »
@BOFH, I'll forward your feedback to the right person. In the future if you could email it to me, that would best.

This right here, this is a problem. Bug reports should not be handled via personal email. Their is no logging, no reporting, no inherent process and nothing dealing with your vacations or role changes.

You folks need to look at other projects that have both developers & users, like Firefox or chrome.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2015, 12:11:23 pm »
How is it possible in this situation to think about vacation period ? !!

Developers need vacation time or they burn out. That means more bugs and less quality. Or worse, they leave and cause brain drain.

Of all the valid complaints there are, this is not one.

Being a developer, I completely agree. However giving all your developers vacation at the same exact time is a bit too much, IMHO. It could be that having all developers gone for a period of time is unheard of in the US and where ever MCV is located it is SOP. I would still think, that during a time like this, when you have a product that was released with a firmware that could at best be considered BETA, you would not want all your developers on vacation.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2015, 12:30:31 pm »
Being a developer, I completely agree. However giving all your developers vacation at the same exact time is a bit too much, IMHO. It could be that having all developers gone for a period of time is unheard of in the US and where ever MCV is located it is SOP. I would still think, that during a time like this, when you have a product that was released with a firmware that could at best be considered BETA, you would not want all your developers on vacation.

This is correct you schedule people accordingly not close down a whole department at a time. This is management 101 here in the USA.

Problem is I think don't think they have a department of developers. Talking to them on the phone and seeing how fast they update things. I really believe that they have like 1 or 2 guys doing the heavy development work. I mean some of the simple fixes that take weeks doesn't seem like that have a whole development team working 8 hours a day 5 days a week for 2 to 4 weeks to come up with a fix for adding usb support. And ofcourse before it came out no one stuck a usb stick in it and saw if it worked out of the whole team/department?

Seems like it's one guy sitting in that chair.

Offline skiz77

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2015, 01:25:44 pm »
Well this thread (and more specifically the response from GetVera) sent me over the "edge" (pun intended).  The one reason I chose Vera was the community and plugin developers and it's clear that they don't care anymore.  Most of the plugins I needed to work either don't work anymore or work poorly.  I would happily try to help fix my favorite plugins.  Not with this attitude.

Even more disconcerting - the basic functionality included also doesn't work and the documentation is just terrible.  Meanwhile, you hear of all the things they are forever working on.  Aspiring to be more when really they just need to start by fixing the issues they already have.

Just printed my return label.  Bye bye VeraEdge.

Offline bigbasec

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2015, 12:47:25 pm »
Just did the same thing.  Returning the Edge. 

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2015, 02:53:26 pm »
I am keeping my edge, and I am willing to give MCV more time to get things right. I will give them credit for seeing this thread and reacting to it and setting up a person to interact with us here. I do have concerns that the person in question hasn't really been here that often, but I could just be missing those posts.

I have received my Stackbox a week or so ago, but it is no where near prime time. Smart things is going to be moving to Local Logic (instead of cloud logic). OpenHAB seems to be coming along and as soon as it has a nicer UI I may try that out. MCV has a long way to come and I hope that things start ramping up soon as I think they had some holiday time off (though I still find it crazy that all the developers were allowed to leave at the same time).

So, basically, for now I'm remaining optimistic. I haven't even plugged in my Edge because I know the issues it has and I'm not willing to deal with them. If I didn't get it for cheaper than normal price I never would have ordered it.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2015, 03:55:45 pm »
I'm wondering if the absence is due to the ramp-up for the CES2015 having taken up a lot of everyone at GetVera's time.

As far as my plan B right now, I'm keeping a close eye on SmartThings and to a lesser extent on OpenHAB. I would really hat having to kill my FreeNAS N40L microserver to install a Linux flavor (which I am far less familiar with) to be able to run it. But it is still an option.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline Mgsmith75

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2015, 04:08:10 pm »
I am keeping mine as well. It was a big step up from vera lite for me. They have been dropping a release monthly as well which have resolved almost all my issues to date, most critical ones for sure. There are some lingering issues, I don't have alarm setup yet so the USB to serial isn't a issue I am dealing with I am sure for those with alarm must be a deal breaker. Most of the plug in work now, I am hoping and expecting within the next 2 months things should be no worse than UI5, if that means anything :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2015, 05:43:06 pm »
I have received my Stackbox a week or so ago, but it is no where near prime time. Smart things is going to be moving to Local Logic (instead of cloud logic). OpenHAB seems to be coming along and as soon as it has a nicer UI I may try that out.

What are your thoughts on HomeSeer? I don't see it on your list and I'm in the trail stage. I would like to get all of its faults pointed out without me going to far.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2015, 08:56:16 pm »
I'll most likely be switching over to OpenHAB. Working on temporary integration of my ISY controller. In other words not a native plugin, but code written in node.js that connects to the ISY controller and posts the events (status) via mqtt and act on commands via mqtt as well. So far looks pretty promising with what I have so far.

- Garrett

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2015, 08:56:47 pm »
I'll most likely be switching over to OpenHAB. Working on temporary integration of my ISY controller. In other words not a native plugin, but code written in node.js that connects to the ISY controller and posts the events (status) via mqtt and act on commands via mqtt as well. So far looks pretty promising with what I have so far.

- Garrett

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2015, 10:33:12 pm »
Garrett, does that mean AuthomationHD development will cease?
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2015, 10:47:54 pm »
Garrett, does that mean AuthomationHD development will cease?

No, we won't let him.  ;D

Offline bigbasec

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2015, 02:21:31 am »
I have officially switched all my zwave gear over to openHAB.. powered down the Veralite tonight.  Also sent the Edge back today.  I'm done.  I've had a support case open w/ them for weeks, nothing, not even a reply to my emails(and I copied Marc and all them).   It's one thing to put out a non-functioning product, it's another to just flat out ignore customers.  Couldn't be happier that things just do what I expect them to do.  I was pretty happy w/ my Lite, it did a ton for me, but this whole mess w/ the Edge has really bugged me. 

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2015, 09:31:32 am »
I have received my Stackbox a week or so ago, but it is no where near prime time. Smart things is going to be moving to Local Logic (instead of cloud logic). OpenHAB seems to be coming along and as soon as it has a nicer UI I may try that out.

What are your thoughts on HomeSeer? I don't see it on your list and I'm in the trail stage. I would like to get all of its faults pointed out without me going to far.

Sorry @integlikewhoa, I just remembered to respond to this. To be honest, I haven't looked into HomeSeer yet. I've been closely following your trial and am curious where you end up. At this point, I'm not sure I could put that amount of money into a new controller. I know, I know, it's a small fraction of the total cost, but we just found out we are expecting another and my Wife (with my support) wants to quit her job and take a year off with the baby then start a new career. So, though I would not say we will be poor, we will be missing about $40k/year in income. For this reason, it would be a very tough sale to go into a costly system like HS. However, if it is where it needs to be, I could probably get the money (do some side jobs).

I'm very interested in the OpenHab/Vera combination. Seems like a great way to use the Vera's Hardware (and antenna hack) with potentially a much more robust system. My only issue currently is that I spend 8-16 hours a day programming, and while I love it, I don't need an overly complicated system to set up as I also value my family time. As odd as it is, Vera is much easier to set up (slowly over time) even when I consider my complex Pleg setup.