We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email  (Read 83729 times)

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
Re: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2014, 12:21:14 pm »
Looking back, maybe the best thing Colin did was indeed send out the email to the developers as the result of it was that all sides posted their viewpoints and everyone read them all and realized what was right and what needs fixing. All of us I am sure want to see the Vera platform succeed and stay very much alive. Be it GetVera, Developers, end users or integrators. I think the passion shown in this thread made everyone realize we are in this together and communication is the key to keep everyone involved and working together.

@Aaron: As for your WebUI statement. I agree. The only time I use the dashboard is when I have to add/modify devices or scenes. All other control is via my Android devices using the excellent AuthomationHD app.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:26:22 pm by BOFH »
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Marc Shenker

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 05:49:00 pm »
Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself, formally. I?m Marc.

Excited to join the community and getting to know you all. Look forward to being an active member here, and as a direct conduit to MiOS/Vera. As Colin said, we hear you and we are listening! Clearly.

My contact info is in my signature. If I can be of help please don't hesitate to ask.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 06:31:21 pm »
Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself, formally. I?m Marc.

Excited to join the community and getting to know you all. Look forward to being an active member here, and as a direct conduit to MiOS/Vera. As Colin said, we hear you and we are listening! Clearly.

My contact info is in my signature. If I can be of help please don't hesitate to ask.

Marc,

I am glad to see you here and hope that this is a start to a whole new era for MCV.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline bucko

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 07:07:02 pm »
Well, there you go.
 Let me be the first  (slap on the back & handshake) to say you Vera guys are doing the right thing now! Warm welcome to you all and it is VERY nice to read your comments. You have made the important step coming forward starting a dialogue with us users and devs.  I see great benefits ahead for all of us.

It takes a stand-up company to come around to the decisions you've made over the past few days. I'm sure this is heartwarming news for members in here. I am not a coder, but do have an electronics/technical background. If there is anything I can help with, just PM me. I will do my best to pitch in.

And also, Welcome Marc, happy to see you here as well.
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline Chris H.

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 12:09:21 am »
I have been using my VeraLite for 2-3 years now and been in these forums every week since I started. This is the first time in a long time I have actually seen MiOS address the community, so I wanted to applaud MiOS for the change in direction. It was well over due but let's move on in the right diction now. We all want Vera to succeed since we have spent tons of time, energy and money in our systems.

Please keep in mind that happy customers equal new customers. When people see my iPad or iPhone on the Homewave screen where you can view my security cameras thanks to the BlueIris plugin and my alarm system thanks to the DSC plugin and my sprinkler system thanks to the openSprinkler plugin that starts the whole conversation on what it is and were they can get it. I even offer to take my time to help them order it, install it and point them to these forums for support. So with all the new players in the home automation market I really do hope MiOS can read the writing in the wall and listen to is forum members.

My 2 cents: MiOS should develop the hardware and bindings and put the software on github as open source. Your members are more passionate about this product then the people you pay, so let them pour them selves into your product and watch it grow faster then you could have done on your own and redirect your resources to supporting the development community. OpenHAB looks like it is about to take off, if it does many of the members here will be switching unless you allow them to run it on your hardware. Just make sure your hardware is better and people WILL pay for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vera Lite (1), Trane Thermostat (1), Yale Deadbolt (1), Foscam FI9821w (4), GE 45602 (1), GE 45603 (2), Intermatic CA600(11)/CA3000(6)/CA5100(4)/CA3500(3), Aeon Labs MicroSmartSwitch (1), Aeon Door/Window Sensors (3), EnvisaLink 3 on DSC 1616 (1), OpenSprinklerPi

Offline lolodomo

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 01:07:59 pm »
@Marc: is there plans to make the Mios marketplace usable by UI7 developers, I mean with an access with an UI7 account and with the ability to test plugin deployment before releasing it ?

If not, I have to live with UI5 ... until I release all my plugins in the MiOS marketplace.

Offline Colin Burke McClure

• SVP Product & Innovation
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 12:00:19 pm »
@Marc: is there plans to make the Mios marketplace usable by UI7 developers, I mean with an access with an UI7 account and with the ability to test plugin deployment before releasing it ?

If not, I have to live with UI5 ... until I release all my plugins in the MiOS marketplace.

Yes, the "Marketplace" as a whole is scheduled to be overhauled after the first of the year. In addition to cosmetic improvements, devs will have a bunch of new tools at their disposal that should make approving, publishing, and managing/maintaining their applications and plugins much more straightforward. More to follow.
Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure
SVP Product & Innovation

MiOS  *  Puts You in Control
www.mios.com  *  colin@mios.com  *  +1 (888) 510-6467

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 07:00:37 pm »
Great to see some involvement from the MIOS team!

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2014, 10:55:29 am »
Colin, Marc,

Where would be the best place to post a bug report for the latest 1.7.481 release? as I found a simple to fix one.

Under Users & Account info -> User Info

The location of the 'Send me push notification' check box line is very confusing. As it is right below the 'Phone Provider' line and right above the 'My Phone Number is' line. Making it seem like you have to enter a phone number for push notifications. As also indicated by the next line 'YOu have to set up a phone number in order to receive notifications' That phone number field however cannot be entered unless you have text messages enabled and really isn't needed for push notifications as it works fine for me without. (I don't have a text plan so I did not check text messages)

May I suggest to relocate the Push Notifications line to just above the 'Send me an Email' one in the next release? 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:57:02 am by BOFH »
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Marc Shenker

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 12:59:11 pm »
@BOFH, I'll forward your feedback to the right person. In the future if you could email it to me, that would best.

Offline bigbasec

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 11:22:45 pm »
Any chance we can get an update on when to expect another firmware update?   

Things I have noticed that make this really unusable for me are currently :
Settings and Advanced on devices(plugins mostly) are blank.  (GC100 is one of them, you can install the plugins but it's almost like tricking the GUI(Control-F5/Login/Logout,etc) to get it to actually allow you to put in the IP address. 
Speed of the GUI is horrible.  Tons of calls to this proxy.sh call (which I am assuming is hitting your servers) are giving ISE 500 errors, a bunch are throwing 404 and it's really just buggy. 
That stupid "thinking" green wheel thing gets stuck on the screen and forces me to refresh the whole page(which currently takes about 5-10 seconds). 

I've tried to do 2 devices on this Edge and both have failed.  Foscam doesn't let you pick your preset, and the GC100 can't set the IP(I did at one point manage to get it to work, but then I deleted it to try again to see if I could get my other one working, and nothing). 

All in all, it's pretty frustrating.  If it wasn't for having a support ticket open from 9 days ago and getting a response today the Edge would have been back in the box and back to Amazon tomorrow. 

I have to agree w/ what others have said.  Give us the GUI.  We'll do things, big things. 

Thanks again for trying to get involved here, it's nice to see. 

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2014, 01:06:35 am »
Any chance we can get an update on when to expect another firmware update?   

Things I have noticed that make this really unusable for me are currently :
Settings and Advanced on devices(plugins mostly) are blank.  (GC100 is one of them, you can install the plugins but it's almost like tricking the GUI(Control-F5/Login/Logout,etc) to get it to actually allow you to put in the IP address. 
Speed of the GUI is horrible.  Tons of calls to this proxy.sh call (which I am assuming is hitting your servers) are giving ISE 500 errors, a bunch are throwing 404 and it's really just buggy. 
That stupid "thinking" green wheel thing gets stuck on the screen and forces me to refresh the whole page(which currently takes about 5-10 seconds). 

I've tried to do 2 devices on this Edge and both have failed.  Foscam doesn't let you pick your preset, and the GC100 can't set the IP(I did at one point manage to get it to work, but then I deleted it to try again to see if I could get my other one working, and nothing). 

All in all, it's pretty frustrating.  If it wasn't for having a support ticket open from 9 days ago and getting a response today the Edge would have been back in the box and back to Amazon tomorrow. 

I have to agree w/ what others have said.  Give us the GUI.  We'll do things, big things. 

Thanks again for trying to get involved here, it's nice to see.

I heard the main support gurus (develpoment team) are on vacation until 2nd week of the New year and nothing likely to come out for a week after that. So I'm thinking mid Jan. is basically when one (we can all hope for more) of the many bugs might get fixed. Anyone wanna take a bet on what gets fixed and what doesn't? I'm  personally waiting mostly for USB to serial adapter support for my GE Alarm panel. Without that nearly 75% of my inputs (doors, windows, motions, smokes) don't work their for automation don't work. Until then my EDGE is an expensive paper weight. 

Offline d55m14

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2014, 06:24:42 am »
How is it possible in this situation to think about vacation period ? !!

I've a VeraEdge and probably I'll change my controller asking for a refund .

best regards

Donato

Offline akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2014, 06:59:55 am »
I'm getting mixed messages about this app development malarkey...

I'm not sure what it takes to be a bona fide Vera developer, but I am the author of a number of apps which seem to be appreciated (Netatmo, EventWatcher, DataYours), a few other useful code snippets, and I run three VeraLites with UI5.

Colin did mention that:
...all active participatory development partners should have current hardware/software to develop and test on.
...and I was wondering whether I'd qualify as an "participatory development partner".

However, on further inquiry with the Vera team, I got told:
You are up to date in terms of hardware, we don't supply hardware to users who develop apps for the platform...

and also
With regard to UI5, it would be important that the app is developed for the current backbone and I believe that can be done using UI5 but I believe that all new apps have to function in UI7 for them to be added to the app store.

So I'm obviously misinterpreting what I took to be a new wave of enthusiasm for app developers and see no viable development path for me to migrate my apps onto VeraEdge and UI7.   I certainly have no motivation to acquire one just so that I can do this for the benefit of others (much as I like trying to help out here) and am once again thinking that my efforts would be better spent in moving elsewhere (OpenHAB anyone?)

The one thing that the Vera experience has done for me is to introduce me to Lua, and I have to say that I would be very loathe to regress to some lesser language (eg. Java) now!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:37:17 am by akbooer »
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline ServiceXp

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2014, 08:53:29 am »
I'm getting mixed messages about this app development malarkey...

I'm not sure what it takes to be a bona fide Vera developer, but I am the author of a number of apps which seem to be appreciated (Netatmo, EventWatcher, DataYours), a few other useful code snippets, and I run three VeraLites with UI5.

Colin did mention that:
...all active participatory development partners should have current hardware/software to develop and test on.
...and I was wondering whether I'd qualify as an "participatory development partner".

However, on further inquiry with the Vera team, I got told:
You are up to date in terms of hardware, we don't supply hardware to users who develop apps for the platform...

and also
With regard to UI5, it would be important that the app is developed for the current backbone and I believe that can be done using UI5 but I believe that all new apps have to function in UI7 for them to be added to the app store.

So I'm obviously misinterpreting what I took to be a new wave of enthusiasm for app developers and see no viable development path for me to migrate my apps onto VeraEdge and UI7.   I certainly have no enthusiasm to acquire one just so that I can do this for the benefit of others (much as I like trying to help out here) and am once again thinking that my efforts would be better spent in moving elsewhere (OpenHAB anyone?)

The one thing that the Vera experience has done for me is to introduce me to Lua, and I have to say that I would be very loathe to regress to some lesser language (eg. Java) now!

If dev's like you move to OpenHAB (I'm hearing more and more may be...) I'm heading out with you!!

I think it's painfully clear at this point; Vera Control's resource allocation to this segment of their business is not likely to increase. Therefore progress will be slow and painful at best. Colin can call it "venom" etc., but frankly IMO Vera's only reason for success (the reason I choose my Vera 3) is because of plug-in developers like akbooer.

U.S.A Vera 3