We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email  (Read 83737 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2014, 09:47:56 am »
If dev's like you move to OpenHAB (I'm hearing more and more may be...) I'm heading out with you!!

I think it's painfully clear at this point; Vera Control's resource allocation to this segment of their business is not likely to increase. Therefore progress will be slow and painful at best. Colin can call it "venom" etc., but frankly IMO Vera's only reason for success (the reason I choose my Vera 3) is because of plug-in developers like akbooer.

I just think we are all hanging around a product that is not designed for us. What I mean by that is.......

Vera is made to be cheap to purchase not support our heavy needs.
Because of this it's lacking hardware. Multiprotocalls, Ram, CPU, Multi USB ports, Better WIFI.
There are pushing updates and support to built in devices and pushing plugins and such for advanced user to the bottom of the list. They are also not helping out the Dev's like in the above posts.

I see their thinking as 90% of their customer base doesn't end up on here, doesn't end up running plugins or advanced features, and they just figure lets crank out as many cheap 5.00 pizzas that we can, figuring that's what most people want. Cheap and basic.

If that's not their thoughts then they should produce a 300.00 VERA that has alot better hardware specs and start supporting/encouraging dev's to keep producing plugins.   

Offline ServiceXp

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2014, 06:09:31 pm »
If dev's like you move to OpenHAB (I'm hearing more and more may be...) I'm heading out with you!!

I think it's painfully clear at this point; Vera Control's resource allocation to this segment of their business is not likely to increase. Therefore progress will be slow and painful at best. Colin can call it "venom" etc., but frankly IMO Vera's only reason for success (the reason I choose my Vera 3) is because of plug-in developers like akbooer.

I just think we are all hanging around a product that is not designed for us. What I mean by that is.......

Vera is made to be cheap to purchase not support our heavy needs.
Because of this it's lacking hardware. Multiprotocalls, Ram, CPU, Multi USB ports, Better WIFI.
There are pushing updates and support to built in devices and pushing plugins and such for advanced user to the bottom of the list. They are also not helping out the Dev's like in the above posts.

I see their thinking as 90% of their customer base doesn't end up on here, doesn't end up running plugins or advanced features, and they just figure lets crank out as many cheap 5.00 pizzas that we can, figuring that's what most people want. Cheap and basic.

If that's not their thoughts then they should produce a 300.00 VERA that has alot better hardware specs and start supporting/encouraging dev's to keep producing plugins.

I think I paid around 300.00 bucks for my Vera 3......  8)
U.S.A Vera 3

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2014, 06:52:33 pm »
+1 on that . $299 was the price for a Vera3 not to long ago and the Vera3 has multiple USB ports (2) and you could claim it having multiprotocols as it 'supports' insteon. ;)

As far as WiFi is concerned, the existing B/G/N should suffice for WiFi HA devices. I learned a while back that eg. putting my IPcams on Vera's WiFi does add to her CPU load and as such creates a bottle neck. So those are now on their own WiFi router as not to interfere with my normal WiFi network. So I currently barely use Vera3's WiFi but can see it being used for eg a WiFi thermostat or the likes.

I'm holding out for a possible VeraEdge+ with eg  Zigbee support and perhaps 433Mhz support. As well as a faster CPU and a lot more memory. Perhaps and expansion bus so other protocol modules could be added when available or desired. A bit like Zipato. (http://www.zipato.com/) Although that one doesn't seem to gaining much traction as the only US dealer is HomeControls. Also, it seems their rule generator is cloud based and not local to the device. Which means no internet, no HA.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline Aaron

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2015, 08:24:35 pm »
@Marc: is there plans to make the Mios marketplace usable by UI7 developers, I mean with an access with an UI7 account and with the ability to test plugin deployment before releasing it ?

If not, I have to live with UI5 ... until I release all my plugins in the MiOS marketplace.

Yes, the "Marketplace" as a whole is scheduled to be overhauled after the first of the year. In addition to cosmetic improvements, devs will have a bunch of new tools at their disposal that should make approving, publishing, and managing/maintaining their applications and plugins much more straightforward. More to follow.

Colin,
I hope you realize the Marketplace is one of the last things you should be focusing on.  I'll assume that you have not paid attention to the rest of this tread and or the two dozen other threads over the past 2 years that have voice EVEYONEs discontent with MCV / Vera as a WHOLE.

If you guys don't wake up, and do it fast, you are going to lose you entire user base because the ONLY DECENT CODE is developed by YOUR COMMUNITY ... NOT VERA.  I'm not sorry if you take this as an insult but as a current product manager for a Fortune 20 company, someone who has coded in the past, managed developers, loves home automation and ran at least 10 systems over the past decade... I can tell you what you guys are releasing to the community provides zero value... actually... it provides negative value (UI7)

If you guys are making money, congrats, I have no clue how... but I can tell you UI6, UI7, and the complete lack of respect you give your community will drive them away quickly as Google, Samsung, and everyone and their mother is now creating systems for HA.

Clock is ticking... if you don't want to sell the Vera to end users keep doing what you are doing and in a year or so you'll get your wish.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member

Offline ServiceXp

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2015, 07:47:26 am »
What's coming?
http://www.asmag.com/SMAhome/index_m.aspx?id=3245

I think the subscription based services are a good move, one that I hope brings more attention/revenue to the development division....
U.S.A Vera 3

Offline TC1

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2015, 10:23:42 am »
What's coming?
http://www.asmag.com/SMAhome/index_m.aspx?id=3245

See? This just gives me heartburn. We've complaining for years about the lack of multiple radio support. About having fine grained user control access to devices (I'm assuming that's what the "Secure" model will address, but I could be wrong). We've been complaining and pleading for years about stuff. And the company doesn't even throw us *any* information.

Oh, and when they say shipping 2nd quarter of 2015... you can pretty much guess that means 2016, based on past performance of delivering *anything* on their promised dates.  ;)

You can only lie/break promises to your users so many times before you lose all credibility.

Offline airedale

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2015, 10:42:13 am »
@TC1

I work for a company that develops IT infrastructure hardware and know we typically will keep stuff close to the vest until it is close to being ready to ship. Typically, I would think that is common practice for a company to do something like that. It helps them keep somewhat of a competitive advantage.

After I say all of that, I then realize I am in a tough spot here where I am pretty frustrated with having just purchased a VeraEdge because I needed something that could handle all of the devices I have added over the years. I would have happily purchased the most expensive feature-rich model. Along with that, seeing the statements like multiple radio support for different technologies, etc... has me concerned as I see how poor the Insteon Fanlinc support is at this point. In the same vein as everyone has been complaining, Altsteon really made Vera work with Insteon, not the native implementation, which really speaks to the community boosting Vera's capabilities.

I am a member of DBStalk.com, and DirecTV is rather involved with the community there. They even have a beta tester group that will do a "first-look" write-up on new technology coming out from DirecTV. This really allows the community that is passionate about their technology to be closely involved with the company and provide very good feedback.

I think something like that would be a good idea for this forum, where a group that is part of the beta-testing works with Getvera and works on these first-looks and they get released in conjunction with Getvera's timelines to release info. It would seem like a win-win for everyone. I'll volunteer to be part of that group if this is something that Marc & Colin would be interested in implementing.

Offline TC1

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2015, 11:15:55 am »
@TC1

I think something like that would be a good idea for this forum, where a group that is part of the beta-testing works with Getvera and works on these first-looks and they get released in conjunction with Getvera's timelines to release info. It would seem like a win-win for everyone. I'll volunteer to be part of that group if this is something that Marc & Colin would be interested in implementing.

This has been brought up before (search the forums), they're not interested. They think they know better. I'm also a veteran of the Technology/IT industry and know how to bring products to market on time and within budget. MCV clearly does not, not because I say so, but based on the hard evidence and their past performance. All of this is documentable.

Offline airedale

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2015, 12:07:18 pm »
It's a new year... maybe a new resolution for Getvera?  ;D

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2015, 02:21:55 pm »
It's a new year... maybe a new resolution for Getvera?  ;D

Yea but with the normal time frame of things...... Let just call it a 2016 resolution.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2015, 03:47:40 pm »
My intent is not degrade this subject as It off the subject but has relevance to developers when the business model changes or was it to pass judgement either.  However, it should start here with the 2013 announcement. http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13184.0.html

Offline TC1

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2015, 03:58:47 pm »
My intent is not degrade this subject as It off the subject but has relevance to developers when the business model changes or was it to pass judgement either.  However, it should start here with the 2013 announcement. http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13184.0.html

That thread is pretty damaging to MCV, it's more documentation/evidence that these folks can't keep to any type of reasonable schedule, even ones they themselves submit.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2015, 08:12:21 am »
How is it possible in this situation to think about vacation period ? !!

Developers need vacation time or they burn out. That means more bugs and less quality. Or worse, they leave and cause brain drain.

Of all the valid complaints there are, this is not one.