We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email  (Read 87086 times)

Offline chixxi

Re: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2015, 06:30:25 am »
I have experienced the exactly same mess when the change from UI4 to UI5 was happening, it's all documented in this forum. The greatest achievement Vera Control Ltd. has made during 2014 is to change their name, everything else was a mess. When UI5 was arriving they made the exact same promises as in this thread, they did not keep a single one.

I just can't not believe how ignorant and incompetent the cooperation with the (free working) developpers is handled by Vera Control Ltd.

I am basically gone, I just can't handle this anymore, especially not for free. But I have not decided for an alternative yet. There will be no more updates to my plugins.

I am downright ashamed for having recommended Vera to my dad and friends.  :-[

This is sad  :'(
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:43:31 am by chixxi »
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline TC1

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2015, 11:03:57 am »
I have experienced the exactly same mess when the change from UI4 to UI5 was happening, it's all documented in this forum. The greatest achievement Vera Control Ltd. has made during 2014 is to change their name, everything else was a mess. When UI5 was arriving they made the exact same promises as in this thread, they did not keep a single one.

I just can't not believe how ignorant and incompetent the cooperation with the (free working) developpers is handled by Vera Control Ltd.

I am basically gone, I just can't handle this anymore, especially not for free. But I have not decided for an alternative yet. There will be no more updates to my plugins.

I am downright ashamed for having recommended Vera to my dad and friends.  :-[

This is sad  :'(

Im sorry to see you go @chixxi.

But your post reminded me of something the wise people in my life have always said: Actions speak louder than words. Talk is cheap.

From what I've seen in the forums since I've been here, MCV management always talks a good game, but they rarely deliver. As chixxi said, all the evidence one needs is in these forums.

Offline akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2015, 11:04:48 am »
@chixxi

Sad indeed. 

I agree that the hard decision is what next.  I'm looking at a Beaglebone Black running Lua so that I can continue using that language and port some of my applications.  OpenHab seems to be a tough learning curve and Java a step backwards.

Good luck and thanks for all your contributions here.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Marc Shenker

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2015, 12:20:08 pm »
I am tasked with keeping up with what is going on here in forums especially amongst the developer community and I haven't been doing a good enough job lately. I lost a family member last month and as a result I took my eye off the ball. I am back 100% and am refocusing on what is being said in the forums and what you need.

Prior to CES we had a company strategy meeting that I was a part of. It was reiterated to all of us in that meeting that the development community is very important to us. That is why Colin has made part of my job to help you cut through the ether but I need you to help me help you, I can't read every post. If you have a problem and you don't feel that we are being responsive, email, call me, message me... my job is to help you.

With that said, there is a senior management meeting next week; tell me what is causing you pain and frustration and what you need from us to fix it and will present it to them and get it prioritized.

I am here to help you. I will jump in in the forums but if you are getting aggravated by something and I don't pick up on it, please contact me and I will figure out who has or can provide you what you need and get it for you.

Again, please forgive my absence, I wish the circumstances had been different.

Offline Vodden

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2015, 01:22:56 pm »
@Marc Shenker

I've been following this post from the start but haven't bothered to chime in until I read a few other posts regarding OpenHAB and how it seems that the 'power users' of Vera are starting to focus their attention towards this other HA platform. 

Frankly, it scares me to see that members like @RichardTSchaefer, @guessed, @RexBeckett and @garretwp are in essence throwing in the towel on Vera and looking elsewhere.  Between these 4 users, they have a combined total of nearly 20,000 posts on MCV forums.  They are also the authors of countless apps that have made Vera an unbelievably versatile HA platform, all the while facilitating countless hours of support. 

I also understand that these users are likely the upper 5% of the users that have Vera today and may not represent the masses when it comes to what people are looking for out of your controller, but they are the trailblazers of the community, and because of what they have brought to the table in terms of knowledge, experience, etc., the bar is being raised every day as to what is being expected out of Vera.  If you were to ask me a year ago what I intended for my final build, it is a speck compared to what I am currently building, and it is because of people like this that have sunk heart and soul into this and made it easier for the lay person to follow suit, and provide countless hours of selfless support to help us out with our problems.  It would be tragic to lose this as a user and as a vendor.

Speaking entirely from my perspective, I think what the community here really wants is for Vera to align with their wants and needs.  I think that Vera falls short on many facets; one of which is communication, which seems to be now better addressed with you coming into the fold.  But what about more powerful hardware?  That need seems to resonate throughout the forum, and it seems that nobody is listening.  The same goes with Vera support and a thorough UI development and deployment strategy.  Here are users with a completely maxed out Vera 3 that is so well set up it walks the dog for them, all of which are running the only truly stable UI for Vera that isn't even supported any longer ???.  All to find out that the newest hardware offering is only slightly more powerful than a VeraLite and cannot run UI5.   

I sincerely hope that management at Vera understands what is at stake here by ignoring members who are quite frankly integral to the strength of the community and the success of your product.  Lets hope that their voices are heard...
Vera 3 v1.5.622, Sharp Aquos, DSC 1864, EVL-3, (2) iPhone 6, Kwikset 912, Kwikset 910, (2) Linear WT00Z-1, (2) Linear WS15Z-1, (2) Linear WD500Z-1, (2) Evolve LTM-5, (8.) Aeotec micro-dimmer,  (3) Aeotec micro-switch, (1) Cooper Aspire RF9500

Offline Colin Burke McClure

• SVP Product & Innovation
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2015, 03:20:06 pm »
I sincerely hope that management at Vera understands what is at stake here by ignoring members who are quite frankly integral to the strength of the community and the success of your product.  Lets hope that their voices are heard...

@Vodden Rest assured that the gravity surrounding our level of community participation is quite clear. This was a major point of discussion at our strat planning meetings at CES this past week. We'll be making some more formal announcements this month surrounding the additions, changes, and improvements that are the outcome of those meetings. This is being addressed, at all levels.
Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure
SVP Product & Innovation

MiOS  *  Puts You in Control
www.mios.com  *  colin@mios.com  *  +1 (888) 510-6467

Offline infromatica

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2015, 06:09:09 pm »
Has a newcomer to this platform i really hope you put your money where your mouth is.
I head great things about Vera but I've since nothing until now on my new Vera Edge With Forced UI5 :-\

Offline kkl

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2015, 07:03:47 pm »
In addition, all active participatory development partners should have current hardware/software to develop and test on. I?ve made the offer privately to various devs over the past couple years but I?ll make it a little more formal since this seems to still be a sticking point based on this thread. I?ll send out and email to the group this afternoon. Respond with your ship to addresses and phone number and I?ll get a VeraEdge dispatched to you early next week.

This would be an indicator of Vera's seriousness, or lack thereof.  Has any developer received the VeraEdge promised one month ago?

Offline Colin Burke McClure

• SVP Product & Innovation
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2015, 08:05:11 pm »
In addition, all active participatory development partners should have current hardware/software to develop and test on. I?ve made the offer privately to various devs over the past couple years but I?ll make it a little more formal since this seems to still be a sticking point based on this thread. I?ll send out and email to the group this afternoon. Respond with your ship to addresses and phone number and I?ll get a VeraEdge dispatched to you early next week.

This would be an indicator of Vera's seriousness, or lack thereof.  Has any developer received the VeraEdge promised one month ago?

Sadly, I've yet to receive one single response to that email thus far. Offer stands (in the interim), but we're going to wrap that into a more formal program this month. More to follow.
Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure
SVP Product & Innovation

MiOS  *  Puts You in Control
www.mios.com  *  colin@mios.com  *  +1 (888) 510-6467

Offline gregl

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2015, 08:56:30 pm »
The fact that no developers have taken up the offer could well be an indication that you have already lost the developers....too little too late... ???

If i was Vera , i would have ( on the day you made the offer..actually i would have done this well before releasing the VeraEdge under an NDA) contacted directly all the key developers asking them to directly for their permission to Fedex them a VeraEdge overnight.

I would also have organised with these key developers an urgent Webex session/s where they can talk directly to you ,Marc, Lew etc.
You could have shown them what's coming - roadmaps etc.
You could have discussed with them what issue tracking system they would prefer to use
You could have discussed their immediate needs - documentation, direct contact channels etc.
You could have offered them preproduction versions of VeraPro/Secure ( assuming they actually exist)
You could have directly spoken to them....

You could have shown them more love than a few posts in this forum....saying what your going to do and "watch this space/more to follow".....

I think you need to act a whole lot faster than this month!

To be honest i thought all of this WAS going on over the past month...just us "non developer" users not being informed..seems not  :'(

I too am looking into OpenHab for my future needs...it will take me some months to move over, so I hope Vera gets its sh*t together and i dont need to move.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2015, 09:28:08 pm »
The fact that no developers have taken up the offer could well be an indication that you have already lost the developers....too little too late... ???

Your might be correct or just assuming to much. Details of that email may show that the 150.00 Vera EDGE (if that was what was really offered) required to much ink to sign on the dotted line for it. I don't believe what was really involved (full details) were posted. 

Offline Stuart

• Beta Testers
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2015, 09:28:22 pm »

Sadly, I've yet to receive one single response to that email thus far. Offer stands (in the interim), but we're going to wrap that into a more formal program this month. More to follow.

@ Colin

1.  No email received from you to respond to.
2. My email to Marc asking about a dev box  - responded to on 1/5 by Marc  basically said:  'I'll ask Colin'
3. No follow up as of today.

So what's the story ?

Offline amg0

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2015, 02:17:53 am »

I moved my veralite to UI7 because that was the only way for me to test my plugin to UI7 and thus :
- I cannot test anymore on UI5. 
- I cannot test the deployment from the store because the account/credential is not the same & the store is not UI7 compatible,
- I cannot control the look & feel of plugin becasue UI7 json positioning code is not final and specifications inexistant on dashboard control placement, 
- I cannot  test code because the test code box in UI7 "returns true" fails ( and memory situation prevent me from adding new plugin or luatest page ) ,
- I cannot control my house remotely, the UI7 mobile app does not work well at all - it takes ages to connect and when I close some window covers it closes them but does not reflect status properly etc....   

in fact , becasue I am a plugin developper, I get an even worse experience in my day to day use of the solution, just because I am a developper and had  to move to UI7 to dev & test my plugin to help this solution be more marketable & competitive.   I would not have all these problems if I had stayed on UI5 but I would not have been able to update my plugin otherwise.

simply not a fair deal.

I would like to go back to UI5 and have a UI7 DEV box (EU version please ! ) for the time until UI7 becomes industrial & useable on a long term fashion.

I should say that some great individual in MCV (like andrei ) gave me good individual support so thx to them

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2015, 06:49:56 am »

As a developer, veteran of this forum and a long time Vera user I never received such an email. Maybe I don't meet the requirements of this list and how you guys picked to email, but I have a feeling it not covered the right people.

I've known from past experience that I'll believe it when I see it too many broken promises, beta testers not being used to their full potential, and bugs / issues left being not fixed for a long period of time.

With quite a few of the long time developers / supporters in this community looking else where, you have a lot to loose.  You lost one in the past for these very same reasons and it has showed and still does from time to time. I wonder if anyone can guess who that may be.

- Garrett

Offline ServiceXp

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2015, 07:02:20 am »
All,

This is an incredibly, incredibly off-putting thread to read. The general level of animosity, discontent, and negativism expressed here is beyond disheartening.

futzle & garrettwp you are spot on? This should be fun! If it isn?t, something is quite obviously wrong.

Again, I?m not sure how, or where, this overwhelmingly venomous sentiment comes from here. Quite honestly, it?s part of reason I?ve spent as little time as I have in the forums over the last 3 years, as most of what I read here is contentious at best.

bucko, it?s not about having ?balls,? I?m just not interested in participating in the drama. No one on the MiOS/Vera side is looking to engage in a ?public argument,? as futzle proffers. Quite the opposite really. We love this stuff! Just like you guys do.

SNIP.

I think this pretty much say's it all in my opinion.

It's an example IMHO, of just how out of touch this company is with it's user base.  If you can't understand the reasons why many are mad, even furious then you have taken your eye off the ball loooong loooong ago.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:25:48 am by ServiceXp »
U.S.A Vera 3