We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email  (Read 84463 times)

Offline mikewooduk

Re: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2015, 04:47:30 am »
It will not be a quick fix. It will not be without significant effort. At all levels within the organization. But it will happen.
Yes yes, heard the same thing many time during the last few years, but you haven't achieved anything you promised.

If you can email me your ship to address in the next 90 min our so, I'll have your controller ship out today. It's a small step, but it's a start towards reestablishing trust.
What am I supposed to do with another pocket-calculator? Continue to work for free for you?! Contact me once you have a software which is stable on a device which actually brings some performance.

I have unpublished my plugins today.
This is most unfortunate news. We're truly sorry to see you go chixxi. You and your contributions will be sorely missed.

We'd love to keep your plugins in play for the community in your absence. I'll just emailed you privately to discuss.

We hope we'll see you again one day, as we continue to make the platform, product, and process improvements discussed over the coming weeks and months.

In the interim, best of luck to you in your future endeavors and look forward to your return.

@Colin

Here in the UK, there is a statutory Sales of Goods Act which states that the item must be fit for purpose and free from defects for upto 6 years otherwise a refund should be offered to the customer.

I know you are working hard to try and resolve this, but to lose a valued developer is a serious blow to GetVera/MIOS.  I know you have been offering some Vera Edge Units out, I have signed up for one as I am trying to develop a System for Home Care Monitoring for elderly people, yet there is no way to track any requests for these units.

As previously stated, I have two of Vera Units in a residential setting, one in a small server room for monitoring and about to install one for an elderly grand parent for monitoring purposes.

Back at CES 2013 there was serveral units mentioned that would be available early 2014, then all of a sudden we end up with the Vera Edge.

Your designs are improving, but what we would ideally like is a little bit more power under the hood.  It doesn't take a genius in the finance department to realise that if they up the power under the bonnet for the CPU and upped the Memory and made a couple of different options available i.e. like a Vera Edge Pro with say a faster processor and maybe dare I say 2-4GB of on board memory and maybe a smaller 1GB section of memory for logging instead of USB sticks.  I think you could be onto a winner.

I have lots of potential people in my part of the world here over in the UK that would like to have a Vera Solution, but they don't want the hassle of having to reboot or having bricked units when firmware goes bad.

I am heavily invested into the Vera Ecosystem and browse these forums all the time.  So please listen and do some action, even if you have a wish list area where suggestions are listed and it come have under review, being reviewed and implemented.  At least it would give some idea of what is happening.

One final thing, please try and win back the hearts and minds of all developers past and present otherwise I can see this ecosystem going down the plug hole.

Would love to see a response to all points raised above.

Many thanks,

Mike

Offline airedale

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2015, 09:28:41 am »
So, just to add to everything that is going on here, I thought I would add a real world example of how far reaching the community unrest is at...

I have the VeraMate iOS app (which BTW, your developers could definitely benefit from checking out), and just started playing around with their geofencing options. In their instructions, they specifically mention utilizing a Virtual Switch to help build logic for multiple phones. I have been utilizing the iPhone locator app for awhile, but was thinking I'd start to see how this could play out with geofencing. So I went to download the virtual switch. I do a search and get back nothing. At that point, I realized I had seen something about Virtual Switch in this thread. Sure enough... Chixxi wrote that app.

While I have written my own apps and believe a virtual switch isn't too hard to reimplement, Chixxi went through the effort of creating this app and it was out there to utilize!

Thoughts and questions:

• Chixxi - Is this a temporary measure, or is this permanent? What's the end game here?
  • This is a good example of the development community working together to utilize each others resources to make it a stronger platform - take note Mark & Colin!
  • With the ability to unpublish an app, this puts other apps at risk that have dependencies, should something be adjusted here to account for that?
  • While I would like to see Vera be held accountable for their lack of follow up and poor support of the development community, it seems unfair to take away your apps because you are upset.
  • I don't have time to deal with opensource projects more often than not. I don't want to go to OpenHab, or any other platform. I want to see this one improve and am here to help support that effort. Hopefully I don't become as jaded as others have become.
  • PLEASE follow through on supporting the development community!

Offline chixxi

« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2015, 11:41:32 am »
As mentioned correctly the virtual switch has not been invented by me.  But it was still me who cleaned everything up,  it was me who created the seperate icon,  it was me who added variables, actions an events on it. I was also the one to upload this on apps.mios.com and therefore make it available to the not advanced user. I also wrote hundreds of mails to make sure this plugin will be supported in third party mobile apps. So I think I may call this my plugin.

I can not invest more time into theses plugins, as you have read above. But I still like this community a lot and I definitely want to get the plugins back up and running as soon as possible. I am negotiating with Vera Ltd.
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

macrho

« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2015, 11:55:36 am »
@chixxi: why not just post your source? or has that been done? someone else could run with it

Offline racarter

« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2015, 01:05:44 pm »
I didn't receive the developer e-mail either, possibly because I don't publish my plug-ins in the app store, but if Chixxi wasn't on the list I certainly wouldn't expect to be!

If people want to use my plug-ins they ask on the forum, then I send them the files and instructions.  I've written 5 plug-ins, all for UK/EU hardware and applications, so I only have about 60 users at present, but my two Vera Lites are working well and doing all kinds of things around the house and garden, and I have no intention of disrupting this by "upgrading" to UI7.  As a result, if any of my users upgrade and find issues I have no way of supporting them.

I hate putting users in this situation, even though my apps are free, but why should developers have to risk major disruption to their own systems when they are doing everything they need, just to support users who make the jump to UI7 (or buy UI7 boxes) without having as much to risk?

The idea of a UI7 development box is attractive, but since I have no current plans to "upgrade" from UI5 I'm not prepared to spend $225 (the UK cost of Vera Edge) just in case any of my users wants to use UI7.

If things don't improve on this platform I can envisage a time when I'll have no choice but to move to another, like Chixxi and several others, despite the hundreds of hours of effort I've expended.
Indigo, Vera Edge (for Datamine only), Everspring and TKBHOME socket switches, SM103 door detectors, Homepro ZRP210 appliance modules, Fibaro relay switches, EZMotion, Heatmiser thermostats, Netatmo Weather, Camera and Healthy Home, Hikvision DVR/CCTV, Sonos, Texecom, Diax motorised deadlock.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2015, 01:07:32 pm »
I can not invest more time into theses plugins, as you have read above. But I still like this community a lot and I definitely want to get the plugins back up and running as soon as possible. I am negotiating with Vera Ltd.
@chixxi: why not just post your source? or has that been done? someone else could run with it

People that leave or no longer want to support or keep with with a plugin hand it over all the time, but in this case it seems to be different.

He says "I can not invest more time into it", but then it says hes "negotiating with VERA".......

Offline fouclo62

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2015, 01:15:33 pm »
Hello

I didn't read this whole thread so please accept my apologies if I'm on the wrong track but there seems to be frustrations with UI7 and not being able to test plugins????

So I am not sure if I can help but I do have a VeraEdge (with UI7) beside me that is not being used right now

(I bought it a few months ago to do just that... to play with, to test devices etc...  but I haven't got around to that)

Can I somehow make it available to you so you can test your plugins????

Claude

Offline akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2015, 01:30:51 pm »
Regarding hardware/software to test things on, I have to say that I received today an Edge with UI7, courtesy of the Vera folks and Colin Burke McClure 's offer.

Whilst I am already using this to good effect, in being able to see first-hand the effects this has on my plugins, I also do have to support one theme of this thread: that a more reliable software platform on which to run the system would help enormously (not to mention more memory and a better App store!)
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline bigzippy

« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2015, 01:39:18 pm »
Regarding hardware/software to test things on, I have to say that I received today an Edge with UI7, courtesy of the Vera folks and Colin Burke McClure 's offer.

Whilst I am already using this to good effect, in being able to see first-hand the effects this has on my plugins, I also do have to support one theme of this thread: that a more reliable software platform on which to run the system would help enormously (not to mention more memory and a better App store!)

Something positive at last :P

Offline airedale

« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2015, 03:03:25 pm »

Something positive at last :P

Fully agree!

Marc Shenker

« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2015, 03:58:31 pm »
I didn't receive the developer e-mail either, possibly because I don't publish my plug-ins in the app store, but if Chixxi wasn't on the list I certainly wouldn't expect to be!

If people want to use my plug-ins they ask on the forum, then I send them the files and instructions.  I've written 5 plug-ins, all for UK/EU hardware and applications, so I only have about 60 users at present, but my two Vera Lites are working well and doing all kinds of things around the house and garden, and I have no intention of disrupting this by "upgrading" to UI7.  As a result, if any of my users upgrade and find issues I have no way of supporting them.

I hate putting users in this situation, even though my apps are free, but why should developers have to risk major disruption to their own systems when they are doing everything they need, just to support users who make the jump to UI7 (or buy UI7 boxes) without having as much to risk?

The idea of a UI7 development box is attractive, but since I have no current plans to "upgrade" from UI5 I'm not prepared to spend $225 (the UK cost of Vera Edge) just in case any of my users wants to use UI7.

@racarter We don't have you on our developer list because you don't offer your plugins through the store. Lets talk offline.

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2015, 04:03:10 pm »

I am in the opposite situation compared to most developers:  I purchased my first vera only about a month ago, so all I've ever had was a UI7 unit.  I then created a few plugins and now desire compatibility with UI5 for those users who have not migrated yet.  Colin & co. at vera have sent me a hardware unit with UI5 installed so I can use that as a test development platform.  (It would have been here by now if not for the nor'easter we're getting right now, so delivery won't be for a couple days yet.)  So I am appreciative to Vera for that!

As a new developer I cannot really appreciate chixxi's frustrations...since I have not truly lived with the "transition" from UI5 to 7...I'm more a witness to the tail end of it.  It does sadden me to see the "I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude, but not being in his shoes, I can't really judge.   UI5 appears to have been a "relatively mature, power user" kind of interface, while UI7 is more tailored to the "mass market"  simplicity  over functionality approach.  I can appreciate the move from a business standpoint, but I can also understand devs frustrations at having a loss of stability, lack of documentation for UI7, and a clear methodology to "write once, run everywhere".

I at least see Vera taking some important steps: development units is a start.  Formal and responsive development support would be next.  We need to get away from personal emails and forum posts, and on to a bug / enhancement request platform where items can be logged and tracked.  Development issues are different than end-user issues (I did not say more or less important...just different) and should be handled in an appropriately different manner.

Perhaps most important need though, is for a semi-annual all-expenses-paid Vera developers conference in say, oh, I don't know...Las Vegas or maybe Amsterdam...

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2015, 04:18:45 pm »
Trust me, Amsterdam is greatly overrated. Coffee shop visits kill your brain cells and we can't have that as it would affect the stability of your plugins. Las Vegas is all party, meaning no work would get done. ;) Unless of course that's your definition of a developer's conference...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:20:20 pm by BOFH »
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Marc Shenker

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2015, 04:39:32 pm »
I at least see Vera taking some important steps: development units is a start.  Formal and responsive development support would be next.  We need to get away from personal emails and forum posts, and on to a bug / enhancement request platform where items can be logged and tracked.  Development issues are different than end-user issues (I did not say more or less important...just different) and should be handled in an appropriately different manner.

Perhaps most important need though, is for a semi-annual all-expenses-paid Vera developers conference in say, oh, I don't know...Las Vegas or maybe Amsterdam...

So on bug tracking. We are working on it and a number suggested a different tracking tools. We have a tool that we use internally and we are working on modifying it so we can have a branch that is external so we don't have to duplicate our efforts on two different platforms.

Joe, what a difference 90 miles south on the NJTPK makes, have only had a dusting of snow down here.

Trust me, Amsterdam is greatly overrated. Coffee shop visits kill your brain cells and we can't have that as it would affect the stability of your plugins. Las Vegas is all party, meaning no work would get done. ;) Unless of course that's your definition of a developer's conference...

I learned many years ago, if you are going somewhere and you are going to work and learn, don't take me someplace nice. Take me to a hotel in the middle of the fields in Kansas. I was once taken on a Royal Caribbean cruise and they gave us very little free time and all we wanted to do was play. It wasn't fun, it was cruel.

Offline ServiceXp

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2015, 06:02:45 pm »
This is encouraging, really hoping real and continuous steps follow.
U.S.A Vera 3