We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email  (Read 83784 times)

Offline TC1

Re: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2015, 06:23:41 pm »
I actually thought the logo stuff up was something unique to me.   ???

Thinking out aloud, would proper Forum software be a step forward?
Simple machines are OK to start with but have limitations.

+1 on THAT.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2015, 06:42:54 pm »
I actually thought the logo stuff up was something unique to me.   ???

Thinking out aloud, would proper Forum software be a step forward?
Simple machines are OK to start with but have limitations.

+1 on THAT.

You guys sure that's not like the VERA icons? They only work when on the local server? LOL

Offline chixxi

« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2015, 08:47:14 am »
You guys sure that's not like the VERA icons? They only work when on the local server? LOL

Haha LOL, a very good example of how Vera Ltd. keeps ignoring us. I reported this bug over two years ago (to be exact: 807 days ago), hasn't even been assigned so far: http://bugs.micasaverde.com/view.php?id=2674
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:52:35 am by chixxi »
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline konradwalsh

« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2015, 09:24:53 am »
I think the guys are talking about this forum.. the forum software and the forum icon logo which is wayyy off topic

Marc Shenker

« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2015, 11:51:50 am »

By the way it would be nice if you would put in some news in your tread on the top of the forum, the latest is a server overhaul, I think.
We, in the forum, must look for news oll over the net. I vould like to see a link to new products, new updates comming up, "this week we are working on"....(e.g.)thermostats,...in the new update we are working on is expectet to solve...it will be delayed (a few) days.

Marc, Colin,

I was just thinking about this, myself. Community outreach involves reaching out beyond the Beta Testing forum. I stumbled upon this thread by accident and have been very satisfied to see the two of you posting back and forth with the community, so much so that it gave me some hope.

I purchased a VeraEdge back in November and have been tinkering with it. Overall, I've been somewhat satisfied, but before I found the back and forth conversation here, between the community and you two, as representatives of the company that produced the unit. I was *very* close to sending it back as I was still in the Amazon extended holiday return period that ended a few days ago..

Now, that's passed. I'm kind of locked into Vera... It's mostly working. I have a few bugs here and there that pop up from time to time, the iOS app irritates me every time it doesn't work or takes forever to connect, but I still have hope. Please give me some more - please tell me/us what's going on, in a broader posting than some obscure subforum thread. Update the official announcements forum, post a new company blog, and fix the stupid image logo in the upper left corner of this page while you're at it!

Thanks,
-Chris

Chris, we have been using Facebook for corporate announcements, it is a little more dynamic when we are posting pictures and video. facebook.com/veracontrol. But you are right, there is no reason for us not to put it into the announcements area here as well.

I/we are glad that you have decided to stay with us. We are aware of the slow loading time on the iOS app and our developer is working on it.

Thanks for the input, if there are specific issues or bugs that you come across feel free to PM or email me so I can alert the appropriate people.

Marc Shenker

« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2015, 12:00:32 pm »
Regarding communication through the official announcement area, noted.

Regarding the comments about uploading your apps to the store; also noted and I'm forwarding your comments to the appropriate members of our team.

Marc Shenker

« Reply #216 on: February 06, 2015, 06:53:04 pm »
In the spirit of what many of you have been asking; I posted an "official announcement" regarding UI7 7.04 firmware update in the official announcement section of the forum.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30591.0.html

There is a link to the release notes, and specific information regarding the USB fix with certain USB to serial adapters.

Offline cybrmage

• Beta Testers
« Reply #217 on: February 06, 2015, 09:31:32 pm »
In the spirit of what many of you have been asking; I posted an "official announcement" regarding UI7 7.04 firmware update in the official announcement section of the forum.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30591.0.html

There is a link to the release notes, and specific information regarding the USB fix with certain USB to serial adapters.

Would a link to the firmware file(s) be too much to ask for?? It will be hard for plugin developers to debug their plugins on the new UI7 version when their development units haven't been updated... Mine haven't updated and there are users who are already starting to discuss issues/fixes with the new firmware... kinda hard to move forward when i'm stuck in the past...

Offline Colin Burke McClure

• SVP Product & Innovation
« Reply #218 on: February 11, 2015, 12:51:40 pm »

Haha LOL, a very good example of how Vera Ltd. keeps ignoring us. I reported this bug over two years ago (to be exact: 807 days ago), hasn't even been assigned so far: http://bugs.micasaverde.com/view.php?id=2674
CHIXXI - We haven't used this resource in well over 18 months, so if your are struggling with an icon display issues in UI5 please let me know and I would be glad to escalate on your behalf.
Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure
SVP Product & Innovation

MiOS  *  Puts You in Control
www.mios.com  *  colin@mios.com  *  +1 (888) 510-6467

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2015, 01:15:58 pm »
CHIXXI - We haven't used this resource in well over 18 months, so if your are struggling with an icon display issues in UI5 please let me know and I would be glad to escalate on your behalf.

Colin,

This is a well known issue and one that your own team couldn't miss during testing. Custom plugins don't display the icon when accessed remotely vs. locally in the UI.

And Currently UI7 doesn't display icons even locally. Screen Shot attached

EDIT: Found after a forced app update (even if your on the current version) then a browser refresh fixes the problem.... For Local Atleast
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:54:41 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2015, 01:26:44 pm »

Colin,
This is the only Public, Trackable, reporting mechanism that MiOS provides for bugs, issues (etc).

I don't recall any communication that it's not used anymore, and what it's replacement was, but perhaps I missed that announcement/blog post/email...

There are a significant number of issues reported in that system, some dating back many yrs, that are still relevant and need to be addressed... in a manner trackable to filers and interested parties.

For Vera's long-term functional/stability & release regression issues, communication via Email is not going to lead to material progress on these problems.  This is even further worsened by the lack of community engagement in prioritizing them and, of course, have the MiOS Team actually fix them

Transparency in this process is a key part of keeping the community engaged, and working toward making them happier.

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2015, 01:38:37 pm »
Colin,

This is a well known issue and one that your own team couldn't miss during testing. Custom plugins don't display the icon when accessed remotely vs. locally in the UI.

And Currently UI7 doesn't display icons even locally. Screen Shot attached

Actually, I believe UI7 does display icons locally...the issue there is that the JSON must explicitly support UI7 style icons in order to do so.  In other words, if the device JSON was designed with UI5 "flashicon", or "disaply_status" (for variable icons), they are not forward compatible with UI7 (default_icon, state_icons).  To complicate things further, the default local storage location for icons is not the same, so the developer must take extra care when publishing to make sure icons get uploaded to the correct place, and the json points to the correct location.

It's another reason why I'm now a big proponent of separate static json files for UI5 and UI7 devices.

That all being said...the long standing issue of displaying custom icons remotely is indeed still a long standing issue.

Colin, I believe this has been raised before, but developers need one of the following to happen with respect to icons:

1) That somehow when accessing vera remotely, the locally installed / stored icons can be displayed.  this applies to both the default icon, and variable / dynamic icons.

or

2) That when publishing an app, the developer can publish icon files to vera servers, and reference those public icons from the static JSON.

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2015, 01:42:17 pm »
For Vera's long-term functional/stability & release regression issues, communication via Email is not going to lead to material progress on these problems. 

+1

Marc Shenker

« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2015, 06:27:38 pm »
We have all and I mean all, from Lew, Aaron, and Colin to the managers from the Development Team and Technical Support as well as myself have had multiple meetings and are working on finding a way that is both functional for the community  and avoids us duplicating work for members of the team. In the mean time forward them to me and I will make sure that they get to the appropriate people.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:29:34 pm by Marc Shenker »

Offline Stuart

• Beta Testers
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2015, 08:51:34 pm »
If it helps anyone developing a plugin from wasting time on icons ......   the url approach seems to work consistently for both UI5 and UI7.   I tried various approaches with UI7 including uploading the icon files and having my plugin copy them to the correct directory.  Vera complained of a permissions error ..... 

Of course to use the URL method you have to have somewhere to place these icons.  I put them in http://code.mios.com/ (access to which was set up by one of the MCV support folks).  It's also where I source json.lua and other resources.  Rather than include them in the package - 'startup' downloads them if needed.

@Marc - perhaps some formalization of an approach like this may be a more flexible / simpler way ?   BTW I'm not suggesting code.mios.com (as it's rather ugly) but thinking instead of each plugin getting some space on a well known web server for storing and updating resources like this.