We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email  (Read 88179 times)

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: UI7 - "Dear MiOS Development Partner" email
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2015, 11:15:31 pm »
Stuart, Marc, ...
     A more appropriate way is to all us to specify a URL via the LuaUPnP engine to download the file ... that way it will get forwarded via the Tunnel and we can leave the Icons on Vera ... where it will work in ALL contexts (Local with and without internet connection, and remote).
     An alternate approach is for the APP store developer interface to FLAG icons that get uploaded to the REMOTE access server staging servers. The APP store interface already enforces unique naming of files ... so this should not be a problem ... clearly the have a few 10s of megabyte of diskspace on their servers for these. Then the relative URLs will work in all contexts (This is the way the MCV supported ICONS are handled!).

Offline Colin Burke McClure

• SVP Product & Innovation
« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2015, 07:08:49 am »
Stuart, Marc, ...
     A more appropriate way is to all us to specify a URL via the LuaUPnP engine to download the file ... that way it will get forwarded via the Tunnel and we can leave the Icons on Vera ... where it will work in ALL contexts (Local with and without internet connection, and remote).
     An alternate approach is for the APP store developer interface to FLAG icons that get uploaded to the REMOTE access server staging servers. The APP store interface already enforces unique naming of files ... so this should not be a problem ... clearly the have a few 10s of megabyte of diskspace on their servers for these. Then the relative URLs will work in all contexts (This is the way the MCV supported ICONS are handled!).

RichardTSchaefer - Just as when you and I talked about this on the phone (late last year), I agree 100%. I'm actually in Iasi w/ Dev Team as we speak and this (long overdue) topic is already on the agenda for this week. I'll round back with you on an update midweek next week (as I'll have 12 hours on a plane to catch up a bit). We may reach out to you over the next few days to discuss (time zones and schedules permitting, of course).
Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure
SVP Product & Innovation

MiOS  *  Puts You in Control
www.mios.com  *  colin@mios.com  *  +1 (888) 510-6467

Offline chixxi

« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2015, 09:08:44 am »
You guys sure that's not like the VERA icons? They only work when on the local server? LOL

Haha LOL, a very good example of how Vera Ltd. keeps ignoring us. I reported this bug over two years ago (to be exact: 807 days ago), hasn't even been assigned so far: http://bugs.micasaverde.com/view.php?id=2674
CHIXXI - We haven't used this resource in well over 18 months, so if your are struggling with an icon display issues in UI5 please let me know and I would be glad to escalate on your behalf.

I didn't want to start a discussion about the icons, this basically is no urgent bug which influences functionality. I wanted to show that you ignore our messages and reports. And as described by richard the aproach to fix this is pretty basic.

Years ago we were urged to post our bugs in the mantis, beeing told that messages sent by email or reports in the forum will not be fixed. Now you tell me the other way arround. There was no official communication that bugs.micasaverde.com is no longer beeing used, and it also is still online and accessible. This is just ridiculous, you decided to no longer use the only way of properly reporting bugs, even before having setup or even thought about another solution. Not only that, it seems like you also decided to ignore all the bugs that have already been reported.

What do you mean by "please let me know and I would be glad to escalate on your behalf"?! You already know now, fix it! Or do you expect be to copy the bug report and forward it in a personal message so that you get it?!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:15:29 am by chixxi »
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline Otje

« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2015, 09:45:04 am »
Dear Chixxi and All

I feel your arguments are very clear and it must be frustrating to have experienced this over the years. i also use the Vera for quite some time now and honestly i do not expect anthing anymore from MCV, i did not even try to upgrade to UI6 or 7, considering the earlier experiences.

Still, i feel that MCV is at least trying now and they become more visible on the forum. eventhough the approach to report bugs in a different way is maybe not the best way, but i feel MCV is making an attempt to come closer.

I would suggest we take this momentum and use this alternative and at the same time give some more time to MCV to get "stable"

i welcome the efforts from MCV and i am looking forward to migrate to UI7 sometime this year  ;)
VERA Plus, VERA 3 Lite , couple of PIR's, several switch units, wall mounted tablet, Sonos integration with TTS, Temperature sensors, Imperihome, Zwave LED bulbs

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2015, 06:46:26 pm »
it must be frustrating to have experienced this over the years.

6 years or so for me as I was a lurker before signing up.

Vera is my oldest child.  I remember that time when she brought home UI3 and I said "Over my dead body, my daughter is not dating a Floorplan UI!"

6 years is a long time in technology.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:50:19 pm by shady »
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline TC1

« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2015, 10:14:57 pm »
it must be frustrating to have experienced this over the years.

Vera is my oldest child.  I remember that time when she brought home UI3 and I said "Over my dead body, my daughter is not dating a Floorplan UI!"

I guess we can call UI7 "white-space trash".  ;D

Offline Aaron

« Reply #231 on: February 13, 2015, 05:56:43 pm »
Dear Chixxi and All

I feel your arguments are very clear and it must be frustrating to have experienced this over the years. i also use the Vera for quite some time now and honestly i do not expect anthing anymore from MCV, i did not even try to upgrade to UI6 or 7, considering the earlier experiences.

Most of us feel this way... 100% give up on Vera as a company and a product. Why people install UI6 or 7 is beyond me. UI5 needs to be stable and bug fixed first. They need to stop UI'ing and start FIX'ing.

Still, i feel that MCV is at least trying now and they become more visible on the forum. eventhough the approach to report bugs in a different way is maybe not the best way, but i feel MCV is making an attempt to come closer.
I remember a famous phrase... "Trying is for losers". I live by this as I find it is true. If Vera has been trying they should give up - they suck at it. If they admit they have not been trying and finally start DOING I'd respect that a whole lot more.

DOING = a fully thought out plan which documents the specifics around a "Get Well Plan" - then post this to the forum for feedback. ONLY this will garner respect from the community to which they now have zero respect from.

Fairly sure they have no idea where to start on creating such a plan. I'll give them some guidance... do a SWOT analysis, then a gap analysis.

There, I did my philanthropic chore for the day and can write off my $150/hr consulting fee.

... and at the same time give some more time to MCV to get "stable"
Everyone here has given MCV time to get stable... a few years. Exactly when do you suggest has enough time been provided?

Offline Vodden

« Reply #232 on: February 13, 2015, 08:59:21 pm »
I think that it has been made very clear to Vera what problems need to be addressed and they have provided the community with a timeline to formulate a plan and resolve the issues which have been brought forward.

I think we need to give them that time they said they needed to come to the table with (or without, we shall see) resolutions and plans.  Colin has also stated that if there are other concerns that he can be messaged privately or emailed and they will address them. Let's try not to turn this thread into a rant about Vera's shortcomings and continue to judge them by past mistakes.

I think we've already seen that there is an elevated level of corporate commitment toward resolution of the issues brought forward within this thread.  I think the community needs to give them a chance to turn this around.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:18:37 pm by Vodden »
Vera 3 v1.5.622, Sharp Aquos, DSC 1864, EVL-3, (2) iPhone 6, Kwikset 912, Kwikset 910, (2) Linear WT00Z-1, (2) Linear WS15Z-1, (2) Linear WD500Z-1, (2) Evolve LTM-5, (8.) Aeotec micro-dimmer,  (3) Aeotec micro-switch, (1) Cooper Aspire RF9500

Offline Colin Burke McClure

• SVP Product & Innovation
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2015, 05:44:41 am »
Dear Chixxi and All

Most of us feel this way... 100% give up on Vera as a company and a product. Why people install UI6 or 7 is beyond me. UI5 needs to be stable and bug fixed first. They need to stop UI'ing and start FIX'ing.

I remember a famous phrase... "Trying is for losers". I live by this as I find it is true. If Vera has been trying they should give up - they suck at it. If they admit they have not been trying and finally start DOING I'd respect that a whole lot more.

DOING = a fully thought out plan which documents the specifics around a "Get Well Plan" - then post this to the forum for feedback. ONLY this will garner respect from the community to which they now have zero respect from.

Fairly sure they have no idea where to start on creating such a plan. I'll give them some guidance... do a SWOT analysis, then a gap analysis.

There, I did my philanthropic chore for the day and can write off my $150/hr consulting fee.

... and at the same time give some more time to MCV to get "stable"
Everyone here has given MCV time to get stable... a few years. Exactly when do you suggest has enough time been provided?
AARON - With all due respect, there is a clear line between a frank and open dialog and being disrespectful and insulting.
Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure
SVP Product & Innovation

MiOS  *  Puts You in Control
www.mios.com  *  colin@mios.com  *  +1 (888) 510-6467

Offline bucko

« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2015, 12:20:58 pm »
+1 @ Vodden
However I will continue to wait before I purchase and install Vera Edge for the 2 properties I need HA on. Until MCV can indeed make UI7 correct and stable, I am watching and looking at alternatives. If by May Vera remains unstable, I will move to another platform for my clients home. My hardware installations will be complete by then.
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline Aaron

« Reply #235 on: February 17, 2015, 05:35:11 pm »
AARON - With all due respect, there is a clear line between a frank and open dialog and being disrespectful and insulting.

I was not really trying to insult anyone - my goal is 100% accurate factual information. I did post an opinion or two but it is based on historical evidence, or lack of. If there is a plan real 'get well', publish it and we'll all be happier for it. If you don't have one, and want to put one together... ask for help. I never look down upon people who don't know how to do something, just those who don't seek to learn.

If you took my comments of the prior 2 years efforts as insulting then you are now starting to comprehend how the community feels about how we have been treated and/or ignored. There has been open dialog of discontent in numerous (dozens at least) threads over the past year or two. What users consider the 'core development team' (Richard, Garrett, Chixxi, futzle, etc) are frustrated, leaving and/or exploring OpenHAB & other platforms... others like cjackson, left a long time ago.

I'm really not a jerk, though you may think so... I've often offered my time, no charge, to help. My offer still stands if I see Vera being serious, organized, and methodical about healing the community and the product... or wants help do do those things too.

macrho

« Reply #236 on: February 17, 2015, 07:09:37 pm »
I'm just hoping to see something come of this thread (other than some dev boxes which seems to not be the horsepower people want). So far, it seems further alienation and more developers suspending their development efforts. I didn't find your comments insulting, Aaron, after spending so much time with a product, passion is what vera needs to hear. Granted they can't make a course correction in weeks but something more is needed. hopefully they don't simply just reboot their forum

Marc Shenker

« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2015, 11:02:29 am »
Our Dev Team and especially Andrei have been working very hard to create tools for you to make developing plugins easier. These new positioning Rules and the Device Simulator will be part of the 7.05 firmware release.

Lets start with positioning rules:
The controls for generic devices are placed inside the device container based on the order in which are found in device .json file and so, each control is drawn to the right of the previous one. If a control doesn?t fit in the remaining space it will be drawn on the following line. This rule will guarantee that the look of a device will be the same on the Web, but also on the mobile apps.
In order to achieve this, but also to maintain backward compatibility with UI5, the developer can add new properties to the device .json, but doesn?t have to change the existing ones.

The new proprieties are:
- line_break : will force the next items to be displayed on the next line;
- spacer : add space between controls;
- HorizontalMultiplier : used for changing size of controls;
Regarding the compatibility with mobile apps, it is still a work in progress and will be available in a future release.

Also attached are three screenshots for Device Simulator. It will be found on "Apps/Develop Apps"
The other two screenshots are from the actual device simulator, one form the JSON tab where developers can paste the JSON code for their device and see how it will look on Dashboard, and the other is from State tab where you can assign values for variables that will also affect the simulated device. In this case, setting "LoadLevelStatus" variable value to 45 is reflected on simulated device by changing the state of the "on/off" button to ON, slider is set at 45% and the icon is also changed.

Currently these changes will only be reflected in web UI. We are working on the mobile apps implementation but I do not have an ETA at this time.

There are more tools in the works, I will share more details as we get closer to them being available.

I have crossed posted this at http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,30931.0.html which would be best to use for comments and questions regarding these rules and tools.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:14:25 am by Marc Shenker »

Offline vosmont

• Beta Testers
« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2015, 11:19:07 am »
Great news !

Offline amg0

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2015, 11:45:22 am »
Yes! Looks very good