Author Topic: Home Buddy - Android UI  (Read 87014 times)

Offline denix

• Global Moderator
Re: Home Buddy - Android UI
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 08:36:19 pm »
Why don't we hold on the new UI and other "nice to have" requests, until all the little but annoying bugs are fixed first! Thanks.
Veras (1, 2, 3, Lite), lots of different Z-Wave modules, Luup plugins and theater/security integration.

Offline rakstar

• Home Buddy - Home Automation for Android and BlackBerry Playbook
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 12:20:42 pm »
Hi Guys!  Sorry for the hiatus but I've been very busy with my day job and haven't had the time to update Home Buddy.  I will try to get it working with the latest Vera firmware and add some more functionality.  A couple of things I had in mind are Locale integration and a widget to activate scenes -- if anyone has other suggestions, please post, I'd love to hear them!  Thanks.

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 08:33:44 pm »
Welcome back!

So you want suggestions? Beware of What You Wish For :)

1. Vera API for external and on-LAN access is pretty much the same - you just send the request via findvera.com, or directly with the same parameters. So, it would be priceless of your app could connect from outside of LAN, or even switch between WAN and LAN modes.

2. Access to cameras - they do low resolution static images, so bandwith shouldn't be an issue

More follows...

Offline rakstar

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 09:00:27 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions 325xi.

1. Vera API for external and on-LAN access is pretty much the same - you just send the request via findvera.com, or directly with the same parameters. So, it would be priceless of your app could connect from outside of LAN, or even switch between WAN and LAN modes.

That's what I was planning to do.  Instead of the SSH approach I used before, I'll try to make the requests via http and the URL configurable.

2. Access to cameras - they do low resolution static images, so bandwith shouldn't be an issue

Unfortunately I don't have an IP camera to test with, but once I get everything working I might consider getting one  :)

Thanks again for the suggestions.  Keep em coming!

Offline chairman_bubba

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 01:36:04 am »
I recommend the automatic switch over to wan if lan is not available. I implemented this on my Adobe Air
UI air4vera and it really works well.  The source is available if you want it.

ChairmanBubba

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 09:48:45 am »
Just don't forget to switch back when phone is back home :)

I agree, user's won't like to change URL format every time they go out and back.

BTW, rakstar, are you planning to put your app on the Market?

Offline chairman_bubba

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 02:38:26 pm »
I would think you would not have to go back to the LAN once the WAN is picked
because:

Every time you open the app, you want to check the access and make a determination.
With an android device, I really don't think you want to keep the link to findvera.com
open all the time you are away. I would think you would open the app, do sometihng,
and then go off and do something else. When you do something else, the findvera
connection should close. I have found with air4vera this setup time is not really a problem
and that way you are not sucking up findvera capacity when you don't really care.
every time you open, you check LAN, if not avail, check and get findvera.com. It takes
a couple of seconds to make the connection.

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 02:02:03 pm »
Initial connection over 3G with with 7.2 mbps takes few seconds on my HTC Magic. Large chunk of data can be passed very fast, but connection to the server takes time. If you use mobile app often, it becomes a nuisance, so I would naturally want to reduce amount of required transactions to get to the desired screen with Vera's controls. So when connection to findvera.com is closed, it would be nice to have session authentication token (or whatever it is there) cached, leaving a chance next time I open the app I won't have to wait while it logs in...

Offline rakstar

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 03:57:25 pm »
Thanks so much for the input.

@chairman_bubba: LAN <-> WAN switching might have to be manual initially but I do have a plan in place for automatic switching.  Thanks for offering your source, I'm sure I'll have questions though, hope you don't mind if I ping you one of these days.

@325xi: Yes I'll put it on the Market, just signed up as a developer today :)

Quick update:  In it's current state, it's fairly usable.   I'm able to auto-detect local IPs, activate scenes, and get some basic information about some devices -- currently only thermostats and dimmable light switches because that's all I have, but hopefully with the community's help I can add more.  I'll polish it up a little more and hopefully by this weekend upload it to the Market.  I'll keep you guys posted.

Offline rakstar

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 05:23:44 pm »
I've release the first version of Home Buddy so if you have an android device, please give it a try.  To install, you can search for "Home Buddy" in the Android Market or scan the barcode on my Home Buddy site: http://sites.google.com/site/rakstar/homebuddy.  Feel free to email me with any feedback at homebuddy.android@gmail.com.

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 08:17:39 pm »
Strange - can't find it on market (in Canada)...

I tried the original version I downloaded, it logs in, but in Vera with .616 is just showing nothing (no scenes found), n Vera with .958 is says ash:MessageSend not found, and then the same empty tabs

I'm on Cupcake (1.5)

Offline rakstar

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2009, 10:16:30 pm »
I wonder if it's because you're on Cupcake... I checked right after publishing and was instantly able to download it.  If you want, I could send you the apk, email me at homebuddy.android@gmail.com.

Offline rakstar

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 05:50:39 pm »
@325xi - I just released a new version which supports Android 1.5 - 2.0.   Please check the Market now and let me know whether it appears now or not.  Thanks.

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 09:14:08 am »
It is there, but gives error message that module is not signed properly

Offline rakstar

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 10:07:38 am »
Darn... I wonder if it's because I upgraded my OS and used an existing keystore to sign it.  I upgraded from the Market and it works on my phone running Cyanogen 4.2.3.1... I'm guessing you're running stock firmware?

Sorry about that, I'm new to this.  I'll regenerate the keystore and upload an updated version tonight.