We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Home Buddy - Android UI  (Read 123322 times)

Offline mikeholczer

Re: Home Buddy - Android UI
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2010, 12:14:09 pm »
Have you configured Vera to require a password to access the web UI locally? By default a password is not needed for access from the local network.

Offline michaelk

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2010, 01:08:48 pm »

I don't have a Droid but I think I read somewhere that it has problems with SSL, not sure if that's been fixed... I'll do some research.  Ok, let me preface this by saying ...

For anyone else with a Droid (and I guess potentially the nexus one or anything else that gets 2.x) there's a bug report here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3334 - they had originally closed it (because I'm not sure everything on that thread is related and I think they resolved the issues on 1.x)- but a few other people posted about SSL problems on the droid. I gave a 'me too' and then I gave them the example of findvera.com yesterday -> they confirmed it and reopened the bug and gave it a medium priority. So looks like at least now google is aware and maybe in a release or 2 they will fix it.

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2010, 01:39:18 pm »
I saw the video on you tube, looks good...good work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6KLCRhs8qM

Now I just have to hope for a good price on Dell's new Android slate

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15369/dells_slate_is_the_ipod_touch_for_googles_android_platform

so I can try it out

EDIT:  Actually now I know what I'll be trying later tonight, puting Android on my Eee PC 701 w/ touchscreen
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:28:08 pm by shady »
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline markbannister

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2010, 01:43:52 pm »
Have you configured Vera to require a password to access the web UI locally? By default a password is not needed for access from the local network.
Yes, password required.  Just double checked.
Home Buddy seems to have access to all the Global scenes (only ones programed at this time).  I can't see devices, but then I only have the one thermostat programed so far.

Offline michaelk

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2010, 10:54:57 pm »
any chance next time you fiddle with the code that you could add some on/off icons for lights? Or maybe just change the color of the font for status so it stands out. Like red is off and green for on?

sometimes I like to scan down the list to see what is on and what is off. So some kind of visual clue would be helpfull if it's not too much effort.

thanks

Offline rakstar

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2010, 10:42:30 am »
any chance next time you fiddle with the code that you could add some on/off icons for lights? Or maybe just change the color of the font for status so it stands out. Like red is off and green for on?

sometimes I like to scan down the list to see what is on and what is off. So some kind of visual clue would be helpfull if it's not too much effort.

thanks

That's a great suggestion, I'll add that in the next release.  Thanks!

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2010, 11:40:58 am »
Have you heard anything from MCV on that user_data vs. user_data2 problem?

Offline BigConsumer

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2010, 07:12:09 pm »
Good work rakstar... if only I could get my Vera working - your app works great!  Any plans to release an Ad free version?
Vera (UI7) - RF9534-N (2), RF9501 (2), HA01 (4), HA06 (3), HA-03WD, WDHA-12, WDRR-372, 3973CR, Phillips Hue (3 A19's)
 http://www.whydidibuythisthing.com

Offline stoney

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2010, 09:25:39 pm »
rakstar,

Really nice app. It shows all my Scenes and Devices along with their current status (ON / OFF).

My Wayne Dalton stat display works perfectly with Home Buddy as well and it's kind of cool
that I can warm up the house on a cold winter's day from 30 miles from home with my Droid!

Keep up your great work...it is much appreciated!!

Offline reiserx

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2010, 12:44:07 am »
I sent him the data file to hopefully make the schlage locks work also. That would make this app perfect. It's such a simple layout and easy to understand like it should be.

Offline michaelk

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2010, 02:04:21 pm »
rakstar-

I'm guessing you haven't played with UI3 yet- so...

are you aware that newer versions of the vera software have inadvertently killed homebuddy?

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3099.0

Sounds like future versions of both UI2, UI3, (and now there's a UI4 in the works!)- will have these change that needs to be addressed.

sounds like a mess for you and you'll need to have 2 versions available for download.

While it sounds like they are working on updating UI3 I'm pretty much going to sit on 979 until there's an android app that works.

Offline jeffy1021

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2010, 06:31:30 pm »
I will probably order a Vera soon and also have a Droid.  It looks like I'll have to use the mobile web interface with UI3 or downgrade my firmware to use Home Buddy.  Is this correct?
Vera2 (.988), Schlage BE369 & FE599, Trane Thermostat, 2x VRS15-1LZ, VRCS4-1LZ, VRP15-1LW, HA02WD
Panasonic BB-HCM511A BB-HCM515A BL-C160A Cameras

Offline michaelk

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2010, 01:56:56 pm »
you can't use the mobile interface remotely with a droid due to a bug in android that wont allow you to load the https pages from findvera.com   (also effects schlage's ilink and other secure websites)- so you are SOL if you aren't on your home network without home buddy.

(google achnowledges the bug and says it's fixed in a coming build of the OS- BUT it's not clear if that's the 2.1 update that is impending for the droid or some later build down the road)

it's also not clear if the 1.0.985 has the 'fixed' code in it that breaks home buddy so you might not even have an option....

hopefully mcv responds here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3173.new

or here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3099.0

to let us know our options with android
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 01:59:13 pm by michaelk »

Offline jeffy1021

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2010, 02:07:06 pm »
Would I be able to manually open a port to the Vera and connect to it directly rather than using findvera.com?  (Yes, I know that it is not as secure)  I may also look into setting up a VPN as I know the Droid is able to use certain tunneling protocols natively.
Vera2 (.988), Schlage BE369 & FE599, Trane Thermostat, 2x VRS15-1LZ, VRCS4-1LZ, VRP15-1LW, HA02WD
Panasonic BB-HCM511A BB-HCM515A BL-C160A Cameras

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2010, 02:14:43 pm »
Don't open that port, or you will get some nasty surprises.

It's amazing what you can do to a Vera unit over that port, and likely use those same techniques to get access to your wider network...