We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Looking for a better thermostat than Honeywell  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Scoutmedic

Looking for a better thermostat than Honeywell
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:47:25 am »
Over the past two months, Honeywell seems to be revolting against control of their thermostats via their website from Vera. Several other people I've talked to said that they've had connectivity issues and now Honeywell has blocked me twice from updating my thermostat settings from Vera. Their customer service department stated that they won't discuss any third party control of their thermostats and limit those who ping the website too much. I guess updates of 10-15 minutes is too much.

So I'm looking for a better alternative than my Honeywell Wifi thermostat. Any suggestions without breaking the bank? Nest is at the upper end of my budget and I've considered it, but I really don't need their learning features and would rather not pay for something I'm not going to use. My schedule is too erratic for that to work anyways.

Offline hsmaier

Re: Looking for a better thermostat than Honeywell
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 05:47:53 pm »
I've been very happy with both of my Trane thermostats

Howard
Vera 2 U14, Vera 2 U15, Two Trane TZEMT400AB32 Thermostats. Insteon Light Switches, Insteon Outlets, Power Linc Modem.

Offline RHINESEL

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 12:33:00 am »
I have two Radio Thermostats Ct-50. The control via the thermostat touchscreen is a nightmare but they work perfectly with Vera.

They aren't super modern pretty touchscreen stats, but for $100 each I can't complain. Just make sure you get the model with the z-wave module.

Offline MSW

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 07:02:26 am »
I just use a Qubino Z-Wave thermostat.  Walls stay clean and much cheaper than the fancy 'smart' thermostats. 

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 10:15:44 am »
I also use TRANE z-wave only thermostats I picked up on ebay for around 50-70 bucks. I have 7 total between 2 houses.

They are not wifi, work anytime vera is working and don't have any crazy features. Just turn on the a/c or heater in the 3/2 stages with fan control.
The model I have are also not fancy touch screen and with a zoned system I never go around the house adjusting all the thermostats in different rooms. I wasn't looking for that. So my control is 99% from vera or my phone actually using IMPERIHOME to control them.

Offline Scoutmedic

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 11:55:39 am »
That Qubino idea looks interesting, but sadly, no local control. I think the lady wouldn't be so pleased since it would be a little more difficult to control.

I'll have to look around for a used CT-50 with Zwave.

As far as the Trane Tstats, which models are used? Will the Nexia/Schlage bridges like in the 524/624 play well with UI7?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 04:05:47 pm »
That Qubino idea looks interesting, but sadly, no local control. I think the lady wouldn't be so pleased since it would be a little more difficult to control.

As far as the Trane Tstats, which models are used? Will the Nexia/Schlage bridges like in the 524/624 play well with UI7?

I don't use the touchscreen ones due to price and no extra functions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRANE-Z-Wave-Remote-ENERGY-Management-Thermostat-Digital-24VAC-/231723898739?hash=item35f3d21773:g:rWAAAOSwuTxWCbCC

I have both the TZEMT400 and TZEMT500. Doesn't matter if the box said for NEXIA/Schalge as long as they are z-wave they work. I have paid around 50.00 for mine and have 7 total.

Offline Scoutmedic

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 12:44:55 pm »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRANE-Z-Wave-Remote-ENERGY-Management-Thermostat-Digital-24VAC-/231723898739?hash=item35f3d21773:g:rWAAAOSwuTxWCbCC

I have both the TZEMT400 and TZEMT500. Doesn't matter if the box said for NEXIA/Schalge as long as they are z-wave they work. I have paid around 50.00 for mine and have 7 total.

Ive read in some other posts that people are having issues with these and UI7 on Vera Edge. Before I go pulling the trigger on a purchase, have you had trouble with updating temps, etc through the mobile app?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 12:52:57 pm »

Ive read in some other posts that people are having issues with these and UI7 on Vera Edge. Before I go pulling the trigger on a purchase, have you had trouble with updating temps, etc through the mobile app?

No I haven't but I did just read and comment on a thread yesterday on someone that was new that is having this issue. I haven't heard anything outside of that, unsure if it is really a common issue. I'm running 7.09 which is not the latest 7.11. Due to z-combo problems after the update. I'm not sure if these issues are related to the current vera firmware or not.

Offline jmedemar

• Vera 3
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 01:53:01 pm »
So I'm looking for a better alternative than my Honeywell Wifi thermostat. Any suggestions without breaking the bank? Nest is at the upper end of my budget and I've considered it, but I really don't need their learning features and would rather not pay for something I'm not going to use. My schedule is too erratic for that to work anyways.
Lol, I've got a Nest Gen 2 laying around (I just upgraded to the Gen 3). Any interest?

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 02:19:52 pm »
I have the Honeywell Z-Wave which is the YTH8320Z model, with the wire-saver that lets you use 4 wires to create a 5 wire hook up (needed for this model as it requires a common wire if you have an older house that only has a 4 wire hook up).  This means this is a fully powered thermostat (doesn't run on batteries, only has a battery backup to save the programming and time etc). Usually you buy it in a bundle.

The trick to making this thermostat work well with z-wave controllers is to disable the 7-day programming with is Setup function 0160 which needs to be set to 0. 
The downside is if your vera goes down the thermostat will not run its own schedule, If you want that functionality, than you need to be clever with your programmed times on the Thermostat and your programmed times on the Vera or you get into a world of crazy.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 04:22:10 pm »

The only other post I know with this issue has just been fixed and it was a simple issue. Check post #25

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,34329.15/topicseen.html

Offline gurujeff03

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 09:41:44 am »
That sucks Honeywell is blocking you.  I'm looking for a replacement for my 3 proliphix thermostats and I was looking at Honeywell.  I would like something that has a wireless outdoor sensor as well.

Have you looked at venstar?