We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: VeraEdge Bridging Together  (Read 20788 times)

Offline Vreo

Re: VeraEdge Bridging Together
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 12:19:01 pm »
I found a Solution! ???

Well, I THINK I found a workaround. I have being doing so much testing that I don't even know if this is the setting that finally worked, but I managed to bridge my VeraLite UI6 with my VeraEdge UI7. What I did is that in my VeraLite, which is the only one that allows changing IP address of the LAN parte (which is senseless because it only has one port), I changed the IP from 192.168.81.1 to 192.168.81.2. The VeraEdge comes also with 192.168.81.1, but it is unchangeable. The LANs IP I have set them to my own network, wich are 192.168.1.63 for VeraLite and 192.168.1.64 for the VeraEdge. And suddenly, both Veras found each other.

I THINK this was the solution because if you go to the properties of the device created in Vera, the name is MIOS_XXXXXX and the IP address is 192.168.81.2 and 192.168.81.1 respectively and not the IP of my network.

I don't want to touch any setting in my setup, maybe it was a coincidence or not, but maybe someone wants to try and let us all know if this really works or it was just me being lucky.

Regards.
I have mine bridged successfully since then.

Offline tiaanv

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 11:37:06 am »
So is it at all possible to bridge two vera edge units?  since you cant set the LAN ip?
Vera Edge 1.7.961 - Follow me. I know exactly where I'm not going.
**CBUS Vera Interface plugin (creator),SmartSwitch (unofficial dev with permission)**

Offline tiaanv

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 10:29:54 am »
Ok. After putting some unrelated info together I have managed to bridge two Vera edge units together...  and yes... it works!

Based on info in this thread we could establish that the main issue is that the Vera uses the "LAN"  interface to discover other Vera devices via uPnP.  The only issue is that the LAN interface IP addresses for all Vera edge devices are statically set at the factory to 192.168.81.1.  In the older devices you could change this..... On the new Vera Edge you can't...... Well, maybe you can! ;)

SO I started digging around an came upon another unrelated post in a random thread about how to do some weird stuff with the wireless on a Vera 3.... I put on and one together, and presto...

The Steps:

1. You need to SSH into your vera (
either of them will suffice.  Only do this on ONE of them), using putty or something similar.  You'll also need your vera's root password, or temporarily enable remote support, and use those details.  there is enough info available on this... Google is your friend...
2.  You need to run a couple of commands:
  • uci set network.lan.ifaddr="192.168.81.2"  (this sets the LAN interface's IP address)
  • uci commit (this saves the changed settings)
  • cat /etc/config/network  (just to review that you changed the setting correctly....)
  • ifconfig eth0.1 down  (this will "down" the LAN interface.  We do this to re-load the settings in a moment)
  • rm /var/state/network (this clears the network cached settings)
  • /etc/init.d/network restart (restart the network)
3.  After doing the above, You need to restart BOTH your Veras so that the uPnP service restarts it's discovery.

That's it.... Fully functioning Bridging......!!!!

Warning!!!  I have NO IDEA if this will leave anything broken... So far, for me, it's working perfectly, but don't blame me if this has any negative after effects... at OWN Risk!

**CBUS Vera Interface plugin (creator),SmartSwitch (unofficial dev with permission)**

guest20975

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 02:58:10 pm »
Tried your method on both my veralite and Vera edge, no success at all on Vera lite no eth0.1
On Vera edge more successful until last command which was refused  as being incorrect. Both Vera's are on latest firmware.

Offline tiaanv

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 03:07:40 pm »
Tried your method on both my veralite and Vera edge, no success at all on Vera lite no eth0.1
On Vera edge more successful until last command which was refused  as being incorrect. Both Vera's are on latest firmware.

I suggest you change this on the Edge, but it should be possible on the Lite also.... maybe run cat /etc/config/network 

The last command is not really important... as long as you reboot or power cycle the Vera, however it MUST work... are you sure you copied it correctly?
If you did it correctly, then if you go to settings->Net & Wifi... You should see the updated LAN IP 192.168.81.2.

guest20975

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 06:30:16 am »
tried originally with Terminal on Macbook Air, then PUTTy on a windows VM this am (UK). No success then used WinSCP to get to the /etc/config/network file, altered the LAN IP address to 192.168.82.2 saved then rebooted my Vera Edge and the Veralite. Success altered the LAN address on Vera Edge the added UPNP device and found VeraLite. The two are now bridged!! Thanks for the info to start with, I am more confident dealing direct with files than with the command prompt these days.

Offline tiaanv

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 10:57:05 am »
Awesome stuff... Sometimes it's about the information you gather from someone else, rather that how they did it.....
Glad you got it working also!!

Offline slajgaj

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 07:23:52 am »
Tiaanv!

Can this IP change method working vith Vera Edge UI7 and Vera Edge UI7 ?

Offline tiaanv

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 07:26:56 am »
Tiaanv!

Can this IP change method working vith Vera Edge UI7 and Vera Edge UI7 ?
Yes.   Exactly what it's for.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline filippodei

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 05:41:39 am »
Ok. After putting some unrelated info together I have managed to bridge two Vera edge units together...  and yes... it works!

Based on info in this thread we could establish that the main issue is that the Vera uses the "LAN"  interface to discover other Vera devices via uPnP.  The only issue is that the LAN interface IP addresses for all Vera edge devices are statically set at the factory to 192.168.81.1.  In the older devices you could change this..... On the new Vera Edge you can't...... Well, maybe you can! ;)

SO I started digging around an came upon another unrelated post in a random thread about how to do some weird stuff with the wireless on a Vera 3.... I put on and one together, and presto...

The Steps:

1. You need to SSH into your vera (
either of them will suffice.  Only do this on ONE of them), using putty or something similar.  You'll also need your vera's root password, or temporarily enable remote support, and use those details.  there is enough info available on this... Google is your friend...
2.  You need to run a couple of commands:
  • uci set network.lan.ifaddr="192.168.81.2"  (this sets the LAN interface's IP address)
  • uci commit (this saves the changed settings)
  • cat /etc/config/network  (just to review that you changed the setting correctly....)
  • ifconfig eth0.1 down  (this will "down" the LAN interface.  We do this to re-load the settings in a moment)
  • rm /var/state/network (this clears the network cached settings)
  • /etc/init.d/network restart (restart the network)
3.  After doing the above, You need to restart BOTH your Veras so that the uPnP service restarts it's discovery.

That's it.... Fully functioning Bridging......!!!!

Warning!!!  I have NO IDEA if this will leave anything broken... So far, for me, it's working perfectly, but don't blame me if this has any negative after effects... at OWN Risk!
Hello. i tried with Putty from Windows but i received this error:
uci: Parse error (unterminated ') at line 17, byte 31

so, i tried with rbrowser by mac editing the file /etc/config/network file, altered the LAN IP address to 192.168.82.2 saved then rebooted my two Vera Edge but now in the net setting inside the web panel of the edited vera edge i have the field always in dhcp (??? not setted it anytime) and the other important field like 192.168.81.1...empty....!

See the image:https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3xek7llpzkxqif/Vera%E2%84%A2_%E2%96%BE_Smarter_Home_Control.png?dl=0

Rebooted it and try to control with rbrowser. the file is the corrected, i think, modified before:

config interface 'loopback'
   option ifname 'lo'
   option proto 'static'
   option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
   option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
   option ula_prefix 'auto'

config interface 'lan'
   option ifname 'eth0.1'
   option type 'bridge'
   option proto 'static'
   option netmask '255.255.255.0'
   option ip6assign '60'
   option ipaddr '192.168.81.1?
   option macaddr '94:4a:0c:08:4b:ba'

config switch_vlan
   option device 'eth0'
   option vlan '1'
   option ports '4 5t'

config interface 'wan'
   option ifname 'br-lan'
   option macaddr '94:4a:0c:08:4b:ba'
   option proto 'static'
   option ipaddr '192.168.101.101'
   option netmask '255.255.255.0'
   option gateway '192.168.101.1'
   option dns '192.168.101.1'

Naturally...or better to use unfortunatly the two vera aren't bridged.  The problems could be that the second vera is in other subnet? I must forwarding any other ports for this? upnp ports (i dont know what are the upnp ports)
thanks
Can anyone help me?

Offline konradwalsh

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 07:36:24 am »

Naturally...or better to use unfortunatly the two vera aren't bridged.  The problems could be that the second vera is in other subnet? I must forwarding any other ports for this? upnp ports (i dont know what are the upnp ports)
thanks
Can anyone help me?

Open up the subnet to allow it..

Change 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline tiaanv

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 07:46:15 am »
No need to change the subnet. The screenshot attached.  Shows the normal net settings.  Further down you will find the "LAN"  settings.   This ip is on a different subnet.   As long as both veras are on the same subnet it will be fine.

Offline konradwalsh

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 07:59:27 am »
No need to change the subnet. The screenshot attached.  Shows the normal net settings.  Further down you will find the "LAN"  settings.   This ip is on a different subnet.   As long as both veras are on the same subnet it will be fine.

Ya but he may have a reason he's on a different subnet

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline filippodei

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 08:16:02 am »
i have the second vera on different subnet because i have located in a different building near my home connected to my primary lan with point to point by nanostation ubnt. for better use all other equipment that i have installed there, i need to use subnet. so for see for example the webserver page of the second vera, i have port forwarded her port because my first lan is like a "internet world" for the subnet connected by wan.

But about the error and the page of second vera that now are with the empty field? always if i rewrite inside them, after save...same situation.
any chance to fix:
?

thanks for all

I must procede to reset the vera?

Offline tiaanv

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 10:49:04 am »
i have the second vera on different subnet because i have located in a different building near my home connected to my primary lan with point to point by nanostation ubnt. for better use all other equipment that i have installed there, i need to use subnet. so for see for example the webserver page of the second vera, i have port forwarded her port because my first lan is like a "internet world" for the subnet connected by wan.

But about the error and the page of second vera that now are with the empty field? always if i rewrite inside them, after save...same situation.
any chance to fix:
?

thanks for all

I must procede to reset the vera?
In your script you have a?  After the ip?   That should be a '