Author Topic: [VeraEdge] Nodes don't repeat the signal. Routing issue?  (Read 5179 times)

Offline 3Deye

[VeraEdge] Nodes don't repeat the signal. Routing issue?
« on: December 25, 2014, 04:30:33 am »
Hi,

I am new to home automation and Z-wave, just received my Vera Edge, a couple of switch sockets and a motion sensor 2 days ago. The Initial setup was easy and the inclusion of the 2 sockets was smooth.

I am now testing the coverage, but unfortunately, i can't get the two sockets to see each other. For convenience, I will name the two sockets S1 and S2. The two are communicating with the VeraEdge with no issues when they are in range, then I tried to put S1 in the range of VeraEdge and S2 out of its range, but still close to S1. In this case I can control S1 but can not control S2.

I know that Z-wave uses a mesh network topology and each node should repeat the signal (up to 4 repeaters), so VeraEdge can communicate with S2 through S1. I don't know why it isn't working.

These are the switches I am using:
http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-tkb-on-off-switch-socket

They support beaming.

Added:

- I did perform a network heal after adding the devices and also after making every single move to them.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:22:16 pm by 3Deye »

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: [VeraEdge] Nodes don't repeat the signal. Routing issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 02:17:55 pm »
Did you perform a network heal after relocating the devices. The network heal operation, among other things, recalculates routing information so that Vera will know that it can no longer reach S2 directly and must now go through S1 to reach S2.

When using Mios routing, a heal is performed each night automatically. When you don;t wish to wait that long, you can initiate a manual heal. A heal should be performed whenever you add, remove or relocate Z-Wave devices.

Offline 3Deye

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »
I did perform a network heal after adding the devices and also after making every single move to them. Then after the communication failed with S2, I tried using the "Update Neighbor Nodes" option, but I received "Receive Empty Response".

Is there an option to view/modify the routing table?

Also I don't understand what are these two options used for:
Use Vera routing instead of Z-Wave (requires 4.5)
Limit neighbors to Z-Wave discovery (requries Vera routing)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:21:02 pm by 3Deye »

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 03:45:19 pm »
I did perform a network heal after adding the devices and also after making every single move to them. Then after the communication failed with S2, I tried using the "Update Neighbor Nodes" option, but I received "Receive Empty Response".
It's always possible that S2 is simply too far away or is having its signal blocked so that S1 cannot reach it.

Is there an option to view/modify the routing table?
I think there was some old code on this forum that would "print" a routing table to a text file for viewing, but it is unlikely to be helpful. You cannot directly modify the routing table. You can however stipulate a manual route on a device's configuration page. I would warn you against this.

Manual routing is valuable in very specific cases and a two node network is not such a case. I'd recommend reducing obstacles or distance between S1 and S2 or add intermediate nodes.

Also I don't understand what are these two options used for:
Use Vera routing instead of Z-Wave (requires 4.5)
Limit neighbors to Z-Wave discovery (requries Vera routing)
These options are discussed in the forums.

Use Vera(Mios) routing allows Vera to calculate the routing using Vera's own algorithm rather than the Z-Wave nodes calculating their own routing tables. It's not always the best option but in most cases it is. The advent of Z-Wave Plus device may change that, but I have yet to test it.

Limit neighbors to Z-Wave discovery (requries Vera routing) has Vera calculate the routes but takes neighbor information from the Z-Wave nodes, rather than its algorithm. It forces Vera to conform its routing calculations to possible environmental influences like interference that may prevent a node form seeing another that Vera would normally assume it should.

Both options are better left checked in the vast majority of cases.

It's always tempting to tinker but your issue is almost certainly due to too sparse a network. Adding intermediate nodes is the answer. Until then, you'll need to shorten the distance between nodes.

Note also that battery operated devices like motion sensors are note routing nodes.

Offline 3Deye

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 04:50:59 am »
Thanks for your help.

Now I placed both devices at about 2.5 meters from VeraEdge with no obstacles in between.

I tried the repair option and waited till it said: SUCCESS! Z-Wave network heal successful, but when I viewed the heal report the result says that both devices were not configured.

Then I checked my devices from the "Devices" menu and found this note written in red under each switch:
"Node 5 Device 3 SW1 neighbor nodes updated 0 times (incomplete 0 in a row 0), woke up 0 times configured: NO ERROR: Unable to get any information on node".

I tried to switch both switches ON/OFF but I keep getting this error:
"ERROR: Unable to get any information on node".

What's weird is that sometimes I get this error but the switch is physically switched. Does that mean that the controller successfully sent the switch command, but the switch couldn't reply with an acknowledgment? How to solve this issue?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:53:50 am by 3Deye »

Offline 3Deye

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 12:18:30 pm »
Do I have to include the switches to Vera Edge after installing them at their final location?

What I did is that I brought both switches close (about 0.5 meters) to the controller, then included them and moved them at 2.5 meters from Vera Edge. I don't know if this can cause an issue in the routing table or not.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 02:20:18 pm »
It is better to include the device in its final location, so that it is aware or its neighbors.

In theory, you can include anywhere and then heals are supposed to fix the routing issues. It doesn't always work well.