We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI7 and the new Geofencing and Mode options in Android  (Read 21678 times)

Offline Jamr

UI7 and the new Geofencing and Mode options in Android
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:38:32 pm »
I was able to get their new Geofencing option to change a Mode when entering and exiting my geofence.
Here's how.

I was able to get the Android App's Geofencing to trigger a mode change when I entered and exited my geo fence.
Install the "House Modes Plugin" as referenced here. http://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=7246
  • Install the "House Modes Plugin" as referenced here. http://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=7246
  • In UI7 Set up a manual scene that triggers the House Modes Plugin for Away
  • Click "Add Scene"
  • Click "Manual"
  • Click Next
  • Click "Select Devices"
  • Scroll down to "House Modes Plugin" and check it. Click Next
  • Select the Mode you want it to run. (Probably Home Mode) Click Validate
  • Name it
  • Finish It
  • Go to Dashboard
  • Click on arrow next to "My Modes"
  • Scroll to bottom
  • Make sure two options are checked in Geofencing section
  • In the Android App, create a geo fence.
  • find the created scene. (it may take a while to show up)
  • Modify it. (Click on pencil)
  • Modify trigger and add your geo fence to the scene as a trigger.
  • Select Exit as the geo fence option.
  • Scroll to bottom and click "Finish"

Test your creation.
Now repeat with an enter scene and tell it to go to home mode. You can enter all of your "enter automation" in this scene.
Let me know if this worked for you.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 01:02:18 am by Jamr »

Offline gwalsh

Re: UI7 and the new Geofencing and Mode options in Android
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 04:22:37 am »
Not having much luck with this so far.  The Vera app on my Android phone IS creating a notification when I leave or enter the small geofence around my house, so that much is working.  However, the mode is not changing from HOME to AWAY or vise versa.  I've double and triple checked the settings and they seem to be good, but no luck so far.

Will keep messing with this.  Thanks for posting your process.  I'm not sure why they gave us the geofencing capability but said nothing about how they expect us to use it.

Gerry

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 09:56:05 am »
We have alot better options already for geofence, so I would just use it for testing and improvement.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 12:59:00 am »
Not having much luck with this so far.  The Vera app on my Android phone IS creating a notification when I leave or enter the small geofence around my house, so that much is working.  However, the mode is not changing from HOME to AWAY or vise versa.  I've double and triple checked the settings and they seem to be good, but no luck so far.

Will keep messing with this.  Thanks for posting your process.  I'm not sure why they gave us the geofencing capability but said nothing about how they expect us to use it.

Gerry

Gwalsh, I forgot to add this instructions.
After creating the scene in UI7, go to the dashboard and click on the right arrow next to My Modes.
Scroll all the way to the bottom in Geofencing and make sure both options are checked.

Set house mode to HOME when at least one user is at home
    Set house mode to AWAY when nobody is at home

I can not remember if they are checked by default.
Let me know if this helps.

Offline gwalsh

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 02:22:08 am »
After creating the scene in UI7, go to the dashboard and click on the right arrow next to My Modes.
Scroll all the way to the bottom in Geofencing and make sure both options are checked.

Hmmm, I am not seeing any Geofencing section in UI7 in the web browser.  I do see Geofencing stuff on the Android Vera app, but no options to check anything.  I wonder if you are referring to the web browser side of things and perhaps I am not seeing what you are because I am still at 1.7.850 on my VeraEdge.  I have not upgraded to 1.7.906 yet.  Saw numerous complaints about problems so was hesitant.  Maybe I need that update to make this work.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Gerry

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 09:47:48 am »

Hmmm, I am not seeing any Geofencing section in UI7 in the web browser.  I do see Geofencing stuff on the Android Vera app, but no options to check anything.  I wonder if you are referring to the web browser side of things and perhaps I am not seeing what you are because I am still at 1.7.850 on my VeraEdge.  I have not upgraded to 1.7.906 yet.  Saw numerous complaints about problems so was hesitant.  Maybe I need that update to make this work.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Gerry

Yes you need to update the EDGE! Not even wifi originally worked without the latest update on the Edge.
I have haven't seen or heard anything with the last update causing problems. What have you read?
The complaints are about things not working on the EDGE got better after the update but alot of things still don't work. I can't use my alarm panel with the EDGE due to no usb to serial adpator support. Before the update there was no usb support at all. Now most USB devices work but usb to serial. So the complaint is not that the last update was bad it's just it didn't fix enough or everything.

Offline gwalsh

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 01:14:50 am »
Yes you need to update the EDGE! Not even wifi originally worked without the latest update on the Edge.
I have haven't seen or heard anything with the last update causing problems. What have you read?
The complaints are about things not working on the EDGE got better after the update but alot of things still don't work. I can't use my alarm panel with the EDGE due to no usb to serial adpator support. Before the update there was no usb support at all. Now most USB devices work but usb to serial. So the complaint is not that the last update was bad it's just it didn't fix enough or everything.

Okay, EDGE is updated and I see the checkboxes.  They are checked and I went away from the house for awhile and checked that the mode DID change.  Works great now, thanks for sticking with me!

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 08:57:27 am »
I've been running UI7 on my spare vera 3 and it's been pretty good at determining when I leave and come back home using the geofencing on the Vera app on my phone. It's not actually switching anything yet though. :-) All my zwave devices are still on my main Vera 3. But it has access to all camera's via the BI plugin and the MyQ plugin works so it can also control the garage door. My current geofdencing setup via DD-WRT now updates a multiswitch on both Vera's to show my home/away status and it tallies with the UI7 home/Away ones. I've been pleasantly surprised by the new UI7 geofencing functionality.

I've ordered some Monoprice PIR sensors and I'll probably try them on UI7 and see how they do.

Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline Jamr

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 01:13:07 am »

Okay, EDGE is updated and I see the checkboxes.  They are checked and I went away from the house for awhile and checked that the mode DID change.  Works great now, thanks for sticking with me!

Awesome! Were they checked by default?

Offline scorp10

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 09:58:19 am »
Great, thank you for sharing!

If i have the app on 2 phones with seperate vera accounts and apps. Should i use a combination switch?

What is weird though is that i cant see the geofences created on one app in the other. So "home" is set for both phones with different names. Anyone with experience of setting this up? I.e. set mode to away when both phones are out of the house.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 07:00:35 pm »
According to Vera at this time it only works on one phone.
This is an email I received pertaining to the geofencing.

Steve Boicu replied:
Hello,

I consulted with our development team and the Geo-fencing is only available for one phone and one unit. You will have to delete all the locations and Geo-fencing scenes from both your phone and try to set them up again on just one phone.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Steve Boicu
Vera Smarter Home Control
Technical Support Team
www.getvera.com
support@getvera.com
+1 (866) 966-2272

Offline eroeberoe

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 03:24:33 pm »
Steve Boicu replied:
Hello,

I consulted with our development team and the Geo-fencing is only available for one phone and one unit. You will have to delete all the locations and Geo-fencing scenes from both your phone and try to set them up again on just one phone.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Steve Boicu
That is a rediculous answer, are they serious?

The vera app itself has these options presented to the user on screen:

GeoFencing

Why would they have those options if it only supports one phone?  Not to mention one phone house is almost unheard of... We need a solution that can detect when multiple phones are away or just one of multiple are home so as not to switch home modes until those conditions are met.  Otherwise my daughter will be dealing with lights and alarms when I leave, or vice versa.

Did they give any indication of when they will support the options they present on the modes screen?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 04:17:21 pm »
I'm still going to say we have alot better geofencing apps already if VERA doesn't work as you want (which it never does) move to better app.

Offline eroeberoe

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 06:59:25 pm »
I'm still going to say we have alot better geofencing apps already if VERA doesn't work as you want (which it never does) move to better app.

Can you elaborate on what those solutions are?  I have read some posts on here on how to do it, but all have been dead ends for me for the following reasons:

1) Iviri ios app - no longer available in the app store
2) VeraMate ios app - dont want to have to use another app to control my vera (i dont mind the ui7 ios app *gasp*)
3) Iphone detector mios plugin - doesn't support multiple phones unless they are all using the same iCloud (but doesnt support the new family cloud).  Also did not work very well.
4) Ping detector plugins - don't work reliably with iphones as when they go to sleep, pinging slows to a crawl if at all, making them useless for "i'm home" scenes and similar.

Can you elaborate on one or more good solutions that support the following:

1) ios
2) multiple phone family
3) ability to create scenes based on entering/exiting a geofence (lua okay if needed)

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 07:09:14 pm »
See below thread. Using the multiswitch app you can set scenes to your delight. It actually works pretty good. I've been using thsi technique for almost a year now.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,24084.0.html
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W