We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: NX-8e & Global Cache  (Read 1476 times)

Offline rockstar0215

NX-8e & Global Cache
« on: January 03, 2015, 09:30:07 pm »
Before I pull the trigger on this system, I want to confirm compatibility. Has anyone had any luck with the Global Cache IP2SL? The point is to use the vera to control this system, and also integrate iRule into the mix. iRule supports GC hardware only.

Offline futzle

• Master Member
Re: NX-8e & Global Cache
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 03:50:09 pm »
I don't think that's going to work, but not for the reason you think.  If you use an IP-to-serial gateway, which the IP2SL is, then Vera gains exclusive control over the gateway, and no other host (such as your mobile running iRule) can intervene.  The gateway becomes unavailable to iRule.

Even without Vera, it'd only work assuming that iRule has support for the Caddx serial protocol.  IP-to-serial gateways are dumb and just pass bytes back and forth, so you'd still need something that can speak the protocol.  That's what the Vera plugin does.

What you'd need is for iRule to be able to talk to Vera, and then have Vera proxy commands and state on to the alarm on iRule's behalf.  This is how the other mobile remotes like HomeWave and AutHomation HD do it.

Offline rockstar0215

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:59:18 pm »
Interesting, is there a reason why it takes over the GC unit? I know that the Ip to serial support multiple connections. Is there a way to share this?

iRule has a Vera remote module. Anyone have experience with this module and how it can integrate with the security system?

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:20:33 pm »

I know that the Ip to serial support multiple connections.

Multiple sequential connections, maybe. Not multiple concurrent ones.

The IP-to-serial gateway could only do that if it understood the Caddx serial protocol enough to break the stream of bytes coming from the alarm system into individual message packets, and decide which connection to forward it to.  It doesn't. No amount of modifying the Vera plugin can change that; it's too far downstream.

It's analogous to the way your router does NAT to let all of your LAN devices appear to your ISP as a single IP address. Routers do this with deep packet inspection, because they understand IPv4. IP-to-serial gateways do not do deep packet inspection on the serial link.

I know absolutely nothing about iRule's support for Vera. But there is a separate topic on the forum if I recall, so they might know over there. You need to ask them if they support the Vera standard "Partition2" service.