We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Provide ability to Create/Register IP-based Serial Port directly in Vera UI  (Read 25779 times)

Offline deraaij

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Provide ability to Create/Register IP-based Serial Port directly in Vera UI
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 02:28:23 pm »
When creating the device, fill in the fields per this:
    http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_ipserial/wiki/Installation-UI4

or the generic version of it:
    http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Install_LUUP_Plugins

No other fields need to be entered, other than described in the above links.

That said, given the error message you're getting, I'd suspect that there was an issue in the way the Plugin files were downloaded and that you may not have the XML version of them.  Please re-download the ZIP version, and then expand.  I updated the plugin over the weekend, and converted the install instructions to use a ZIP-file link instead, which should give you a clean set of files.

Sorry maybe a stupid question but how can I setup multiple IP-serial devices? Is the only way to install the files under a different name?

Regards,

Mark

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 04:29:18 pm »
It should work fine with the same name. You just need to create new instances of the device using the device file names D_IPSerial.xml and I_IPSerial.xml as detailed here:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Install_LUUP_Plugins (UI4)

You will not need to do step 2 if you already created one instance! In the description field just name it something unique to help you identify each one.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:40:31 pm by strangely »
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline deraaij

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 05:28:48 am »
It should work fine with the same name. You just need to create new instances of the device using the device file names D_IPSerial.xml and I_IPSerial.xml as detailed here:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Install_LUUP_Plugins (UI4)

You will not need to do step 2 if you already created one instance! In the description field just name it something unique to help you identify each one.

Ai of course, sorry..... Thnx!!

Offline dgdev

• Sr. Newbie
Has anyone tested the IPSerial plugin with a Digi PortServer? Does it work with it?

Thanks!

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
Cant see why not so long as you match the baud rate, data bits and stop bits! I have 3 different devices connected to IP serial devices and they all work fine.
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline dgdev

• Sr. Newbie
The reason I asked is Digi PortServers use Digi's proprietary RealPort, which according to the manual:

The RealPort Profile allows you to map a COM or TTY port to the serial port of your Digi device server. The COM/TTY port appears and behaves as a local port to the PC or server. RealPort is also known as COM Port Redirection
This requires Digi provided software to be loaded on to the OS (Windows, Mac, Linux), which obvious can't be done here.

Digging deeper in the manual, I can setup a port using TCP Sockets:
The TCP Sockets Profile allows serial devices to communicate over a TCP network. The TCP Server configuration allows other network devices to initiate a TCP connection to the serial device attached to a serial port of the Digi device server. This is also referred to as Reverse Telnet.

I'm assuming this would be the correct mode to use with the IPSerial plugin.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:09:36 am by dgdev »

Offline dgdev

• Sr. Newbie
I'm assuming this would be the correct mode to use with the IPSerial plugin.

I've confirmed that the Digi PortServer does work with the IPSerial plugin by setting it to TCP Sockets. Just wanted to update this in case anyone else had the same question.

Offline huib

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 11:57:58 am »
Can you advise me how go set up for testing

At the moment i do not have (yet) an ip to rs232 adapter but would like to use an pc as test adaptef
I presume that it must be done by hyperterminal  but can you give some guidance

Further can i use this two way ie sending command and receiving commands?

Last qjestion for now how to sent hex codes

Rgds
Huib
- veralite UI5 - veralite UI7 - 9 fibaro dimmers - 7 fibaro switches - 2 eminent movement sensors - remote control - opentherm gateway - remote powermeter reading - control of whr930 unit - control of washing machine -

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 05:17:04 pm »
@Huib,
If the device under test is transmitting in plaintext, then you can use HyperTerminal (or similar) on your machine to talk to it (with a suitable USB-RS232 Adapter cable).  You'll be able to send commands, and see the responses printed directly to the terminal.

If the device is transmitting in Binary, things will definitely be trickier.

You can sometimes use Ctrl-characters to send a limited set of Binary, but it's generally not worth it.  For these cases it's often easier to write a plugin and place Vera near the device-under-test so you can test it.  Vera will emit Hex versions of the data being sent, and received, which makes it a lot easier to see what's going on.

Most of the Binary protocols I've seen tend to add Checksums (etc) which make it far too awkward to deal with via a standard terminal.

Offline huib

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 02:31:37 am »
@guessed

so i must be able to sent it from the vera to the pc by using the terminal
Which ip  and port i use
Is it correct to take the ip from the pc and i can take any port ; i see different port setting in different files
Rgds huib
- veralite UI5 - veralite UI7 - 9 fibaro dimmers - 7 fibaro switches - 2 eminent movement sensors - remote control - opentherm gateway - remote powermeter reading - control of whr930 unit - control of washing machine -

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 05:52:33 am »
Ok, looks like I'm not clear on what you're trying to do.

If you want your PC to act as an IP enabled Serial port that bridges Vera and the device-under-control, then you'll need the PC to run a COM redirector program.

I don't think that functionality is built into hyper terminal.

Offline huib

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 03:38:10 pm »
@guessed,
I would like to simulate the ip to rs232 adapter

So if the vera will sent an message, i want to see the message on the hyperterminal
Further i want to sent from the hyperterminal the message in to the vera

If the in and output are as required than i can go to the next step in my project

So with the hyperterminal i want to see the datastream sent to the adapter to verify the plugin i am trying to make

So i am looking how to set up the hyperterminal and the settings

I hope that i made it more clear to you
Rgds huib

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 04:47:31 pm »
If you want Hyperterminal to be the client to Vera you can use two USB-RS232 cables, with an appropriate F-F cross-over device between, and you'll see everything [printable] that Vera sends over.  Similarly, everything you type will be echo'd back to Vera. 

All bets are off once the protocol goes Binary though, since you'll have all sorts of non-printables in there.

From Vera's standpoint it works the same whether it's IP or Serial, so that part really doesn't matter.  I don't think Hyperterminal can be configured to do the required TCP listen to receive connections from Vera, so it's a little hard to do without intermediate hardware of some form... 

You probably could write a little free-standing Lua program to run on the Windows box, and do the TCP Server component, if you wanted to test that component.

Anything more than that, and you might as well buy the real IP-Serial device (they're under $30 in the US)

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 05:25:50 pm »
Hi @ guessed

Quick question, I have a serial to USB device connected to another machine which is recieving power usage information (http://www.currentcost.com/cc128/xml.htm). Will your plugin allow me to see this information and process it in Vera ?

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 12:08:29 pm »
If you ran COM port redirector (software) on the PC then the COM port would be exposed via TCP on your LAN.  Then, using the IP Serial plugin [hack] it could further be exposed to Vera for use in any plugin that can handle its data.