We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Provide ability to Create/Register IP-based Serial Port directly in Vera UI  (Read 26366 times)

Offline rstrouse

As with everything Vera, it seems like you either have to tinker and get lucky or be part of a special club to be provided with instructions on how to set it up.

Ok if you've done this setup with another application this should be easy.  You should configure the WizNet device using the configuration tool from a PC.  This tool is not a driver, nor does it continue to interact with the Wiznet device after you close it.  You used this configuration tool when you set it up for use with the PC application.  What you may not realize is that this software does nothing after you configure the Wiznet and all you are trying to do here is set the configuration into the device.  You don't need special software or even a plugin on the Vera.

You need to configure the Network and Serial tabs for the Wiznet.  On the network side I would check my router and set a DHCP reservation for the IP of the Wiznet board.  Then set the Wiznet to mixed mode with the Local IP and Server IP on this reserved address.  Set the port to 5000 I won't get into port settings but for now just set it to 5000 unless there is advice for some other port (UDP..etc.)  I know you could leave it in DHCP mode but I just find it easier during the setup to not have the IP jumping around on me and I can do a Direct IP search when I need to see the configuration.  If I set it to an IP I know that is the IP I can use for all the tools.

On the serial side you need to know what the settings are for the device you are connecting to.  If you get unexpected results ie. the port is found and connects but the data seems scrambled then you should double check these settings.  Devices with typically use 8N1 that is 8 databits, no parity and 1 stop bit depending on the UART chip.  If you can't find the information use these settings.  You may need to experiment with the flow control and the baud rate (speed).  I don't know what you are connecting to so look for some documentation to help you out.

After all this is done.  You need to consume this port in the Vera.  All devices seem to have an ip parameter in the Vera.  Simply put the IP:port for the Wiznet in this field and it is connected to the serial port.

I hope this helps.
1xVera3 1.7.619, 4xLinear WT00Z, 3xLinear WS15Z, 1xLeviton VRCZ4, 10xCooper RF9540, 1xLeviton VRFI10, 1xLeviton VP00R, 2xLinear GD00Z-4, 1xGE/Jasco 45612, 1xGE/Jasco 45610,  4xGE/Jasco 45605, 2xYale YRD220-ZW-619, 1xCaddx NX584, Autelis Intellitouch Pool Control, OpenSprinkler

Offline skiz77

So my point was that I actually didn't need help with anything until "consume this on the Vera".  By "driver" on the PC, I was referring to the virtual device that turns the remote TCP port (socket) into a local Serial I/O port which allows me to write .NET code that uses System.IO.Ports.  Not rocket surgery.  ;D

Point is, I don't need help with anything but Vera.  WizNet gives me directions, and I've used my WizNet for 2 years with no issues.  Vera on the other hand hasn't updated their documentation since, well, ever.

Vera UI7 doesn't let me configure anything until it "detects" something.  How is it supposed to "detect" something that is sitting on a remote TCP port without me configuring something (i.e. IP and port)?  So, since I can't seem to get anywhere with the native UI7, I downloaded IPSerial xml files, which seems to be the only way?  A few attempts, wipes, and attempts more (apparently you must create a dummy IPSerial device then restart the engine -- which makes some sense but begs why the restart on upload is default?), and I finally get a (non-virtual?) device to show up under Develop Apps -> USB/Serial Devices that is asking for several bits of information.  I can't figure out if I can put in arbitrary stuff there or what (I mean I put the IP and port number, but that's two of like six fields).  Anyway, eventually I see a status of connecting at the top, and the port is no longer accessible by anyone else.  So it must be working, or so I think. 

I select the built-in "Insteon Network" device (since I'm trying to access a remote PLM), but the built-in Insteon module still won't use the new remote port I just spent 2 days creating.  As best I can tell from the logging, it expects USB or nothing at all.  Furthermore, all I did was restart Vera, and now I can't seem to get it to 'connect' again.  I don't feel any desire to wipe Vera again, since that seems to be the key to getting anything working in UI7.

Offline rstrouse

I too am a .NET programmer and an ex-rocket surgeon of sorts.  I have been kicking around the idea of getting some Insteon stuff too but don't have any yet.  Have you tried configuring the PLM through the USB port then modifying the settings after the configuration? Also, does the PLM use RS232 or native USB? 

Btw. It looks like if you continue to press next through the pairing process for the PLM it will error out and you will finally get to a Port field.  This may be your savior.  No PLM so I can't try it.
1xVera3 1.7.619, 4xLinear WT00Z, 3xLinear WS15Z, 1xLeviton VRCZ4, 10xCooper RF9540, 1xLeviton VRFI10, 1xLeviton VP00R, 2xLinear GD00Z-4, 1xGE/Jasco 45612, 1xGE/Jasco 45610,  4xGE/Jasco 45605, 2xYale YRD220-ZW-619, 1xCaddx NX584, Autelis Intellitouch Pool Control, OpenSprinkler

Offline HansW

So I tried to use a Wiznet SR110 to connect my Caddx alarm. Have set up the wiznet in mixed mode, ip adress 192.168.1.240 for local and server, port 5000 and set the serial port setting on my UI7 vera to this ip address and port. It does not work though.

What am I doing wrong here?

Hans

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
What am I doing wrong here?

You're cross-posting the same question to multiple places in the forum.  Please let's keep the discussion in just one place.