We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Provide ability to Create/Register IP-based Serial Port directly in Vera UI  (Read 26581 times)

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
Re: Provide ability to Create/Register IP-based Serial Port directly in Vera UI
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 04:47:04 pm »
Thanks guessed,

The energy device is currently connected to a NAS running Linux, so I would need something that wors with that? Checking online I say this http://cboard.cprogramming.com/linux-programming/99853-ip-mapped-tty-port.html & http://www.sans.org/security-resources/sec560/netcat_cheat_sheet_v1.pdf

Have you seen/heard or tested any of these?

Cheers

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 04:55:52 pm »
I haven't worked with that tool, but there's probably a dozen out there for Linux, you'd just need to find one for your distro/arch combo.

ser2net is the one inside Vera that's performing the bridging work for IP <-> Serial, then they just use standard USB drivers to get the serPorts recognized.

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 04:25:37 pm »
Hi guessed

All bets are off once the protocol goes Binary though, since you'll have all sorts of non-printables in there.

I've attached a screenshot of the manual for a matrix switcher I'm looking at, that Vera might control. Working with you a while back on building a plugin for my Kira Ir transmitter and then another for the SkyHD remote codes .

Do you or are you aware if anything plugin files out there that would allow me to just update the  xmls with the binary numbers ready to be when e.g. button 1 is sent?

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 12:07:24 am »
http://www.sans.org/security-resources/sec560/netcat_cheat_sheet_v1.pdf

Netcat is great, but it's not aimed at configuring serial ports, so you'd have to set baud rate, parity, etc., using some other tool.  If you want to move data between stdio, files and TCP/UDP connections, netcat is definitely the right tool for the job.

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 03:45:55 am »
Thanks futzle

My goal now is to have everything done via Vera (nothing running on a PC)  and maybe I am thinking too simplistically, but it seems to make this Matrix Switcher work over RS232 I need to be able to send a binary message ideally via a IP to RS232 device.

I'll have a look at the rs232 plugins that exist, but obviously if someone had a set up already and it was just the binary messages that needed to be changed, it could save a lot of time, effort (and potential confusion on my part) ;). Hence I would buy the same Hardware and just modify the values.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 02:01:43 pm »
@parkerc,
Just FYI... but this post is OT with respect to this thread, so I won't answer it...

Hi guessed

All bets are off once the protocol goes Binary though, since you'll have all sorts of non-printables in there.

I've attached a screenshot of the manual for a matrix switcher I'm looking at, that Vera might control. Working with you a while back on building a plugin for my Kira Ir transmitter and then another for the SkyHD remote codes .

Do you or are you aware if anything plugin files out there that would allow me to just update the  xmls with the binary numbers ready to be when e.g. button 1 is sent?

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 05:03:49 pm »
@parkerc,
Just FYI... but this post is OT with respect to this thread, so I won't answer it...

No Problem. Consider the 'Topic' closed.

Offline eddie

• Beta Testers
The IPSerial plugin has disappeared from the App store.  Why?

Offline legend99

Is it gone or am I missing something?

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
It was built as a [very] short-term hack (yrs ago), with the intention of MCV "absorbing" the functionality in the UI.

Everyone now knows how to code plugins to connect to both Serial and IP, so it's no longer needed.  The core functional workaround should be implemented in every Plugin (and is, to my knowledge)

If it's missing from a particular Plugin, then folks should pursue that plugin author to add the work-around, or perhaps MCV to start fixing their aging bug queues.

Offline nileshr

Hi,

I need to add IP serial port to UI5. Is there an updated plugin/luup files for UI5?

Thanks.

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 01:57:43 pm »
Ditto, I also need to add a Global Cache IP to Serial device (single ITach)
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline skiz77

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2014, 03:49:43 pm »
It was built as a [very] short-term hack (yrs ago), with the intention of MCV "absorbing" the functionality in the UI.

Everyone now knows how to code plugins to connect to both Serial and IP, so it's no longer needed.  The core functional workaround should be implemented in every Plugin (and is, to my knowledge)

If it's missing from a particular Plugin, then folks should pursue that plugin author to add the work-around, or perhaps MCV to start fixing their aging bug queues.

Well there are plenty of good reasons why folks need this and here we are at v7 and still can't figure out how to do this any other way.  What am I missing?

Offline rstrouse

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2014, 05:12:40 pm »
I run a Wiznet110SR for my connection to my Networx alarm panel.  It just works and shows up on my network.  I tapped a nearby USB port for power, reserved an IP for it in DHCP and voila no serial connection needed at the alarm panel.  Btw I configured the port in the UI7 interface.
1xVera3 1.7.619, 4xLinear WT00Z, 3xLinear WS15Z, 1xLeviton VRCZ4, 10xCooper RF9540, 1xLeviton VRFI10, 1xLeviton VP00R, 2xLinear GD00Z-4, 1xGE/Jasco 45612, 1xGE/Jasco 45610,  4xGE/Jasco 45605, 2xYale YRD220-ZW-619, 1xCaddx NX584, Autelis Intellitouch Pool Control, OpenSprinkler

Offline skiz77

As with everything Vera, it seems like you either have to tinker and get lucky or be part of a special club to be provided with instructions on how to set it up.  Support hasn't been any help, and hours of looking through posts and wikis aren't helpful either.  There's so much garbage from prior UIs that don't work the same in the current version.

I have had the WizNet setup for years with a PC application and no issues.  It took installing a driver and opening the port.  In Vera, I'm on 3 factory resets and the closest I have managed to come is I have gotten it to display "port successfully open" although I wasn't able to do anything afterwards.  Now I can't even get that back even though I'm following the exact same steps as what I did before.