We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Honeywell Tuxedo as primary? Schlage lock programing?  (Read 3630 times)

Offline a55vc

Honeywell Tuxedo as primary? Schlage lock programing?
« on: December 10, 2013, 10:59:38 am »
Just moved into a new home.  The alarm company installed Honeywell Tuxedos (2) and I like the simplicity of the interface for my wife to lock everything down.  We put in 4 Schlage Keypads was easily able to add them (i'll come back to this). The alarm company began installing the lights and blinds onto the tuxedo, which all work fine, but there are 20 of them total!    I had a vera lite in my old home with kiwkset locks and was able to program them through that system.

Now the question: I've realized I can't program entry pins (codes) to the Schlage locks with the Tuxedo.  I have read the forms, and it looks like there is a special setup for Schlage and Vera, which is easy to follow.   With so many devices on the Tuxedo at this point, I don't want to have to put in a vera as the primary and move everything over.  Can I setup the vera as a secondary to the tuxedo and still use it to program the locks? Or is all lost and I need reset the tuxedo, make the vera primary, and simply reprogram the tuxedo as secondary?

I'm pretty good technically, but I'm a relative newbie to z-wave.  1 controller and 3 locks was pretty easy compared to this.

At the end of the day I need to keep it easy for my wife, but I don't want to have to be programing pins manually on each of the doors (we have people come in and out of the house temporarily).

Offline 7rdr7

Re: Honeywell Tuxedo as primary? Schlage lock programing?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 12:41:22 pm »
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issues as you are describing.

Offline cybrmage

• Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:31:36 am »
I installed a system this spring with three Tuxedo Touch wifi keypads and a VeraLite.

With one of the Tuxedo keypads as the Primary controller, the system was very limited and the Tuxedo was very frustrating. The Z-Wave radio in the units are not very powerful and seem to have about half the range of the Veralite. The Tuxedo Z-Wave implementation has some major flaws... Devices at the edge of the Z-Wave range of the primary Tuxedo will loose connectivity often, even if there is a repeater device between it and the Tuxedo... A device that does not respond immediately will stall the Tuxedo for an extended period of time and prevent use of other devices. It can't display temperature in Celsius (BAD for us up here in Canada)... It has bugs that cause the Keypads to reboot (Add all similar items into groups.. then select a group with more than 6 controls in it... use navigation buttons to more forward one page, then use the navigation button to move back two pages... BOOM!!! Tuxedo reboot!)... The Tuxedo units that are secondary do not update with device state properly... Unless you are using TotalConnect2, you are limited to 20 "scenes"... and the scenes are limited...

I recommend using the VeraLite as a primary and the Tuxedo(s) as secondary. All the Z-Wave devices will update properly on the Tuxedo keypads, you can customize your scenes on the Vera for all your devices and still use the scene capability on each Tuxedo as well. Routing to distant devices works properly and slow devices don't prevent control of other devices. With Vera as the primary controller, you eliminate a myriad of issues that makes the Tuxedo a pain to use.

Offline hbarreda

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:13:24 pm »
If I install the Tuxedo as a secondary control and my vera as primary. Can I  see the zwave devices  in my totalconnect2 ACC?

Offline radiationcowboy

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 01:37:06 pm »
Not with the original Tuxedo (TUXW, TUXS).
Should work with the TUXWIFI. It may act wierd with it not being the primary.