We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: NEW GUI seen at CES  (Read 30932 times)

Offline blapoint

Re: NEW GUI seen at CES
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 06:58:25 am »
MCV - With the week coming to an end is there any change we might see a release of the new GUI today?

Offline Gwumm

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 05:13:53 pm »
MCV - With the week coming to an end is there any change we might see a release of the new GUI today?

This would make my weekend ;) Any chances MCV?

Offline B0SST0N

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 12:52:27 am »
The new UI will be flash based and it will have a floorplan designer, also a lot of improvements have been added to our backend, a few plugins, support for the new door locks and much more.

You realize that flash means that the iphone web browser can't be used. Making squareconnect even that much more important. What are the iphone options if we don't want to buy the app?

The app will be free!

squareconnect.com mentions: "Premium functionality available through in-app purchase" any idea what premium functionality would be? My fear is the free app is a shell for controlling systems and we will need to in-app purchase a uPnP module to use it with Vera.

Your fear...? C'mon now... SquareConnect is putting a lot of time and effort into this app and are not financed by MCV. The least you can do is show your support and purchase the app if you are going to make use of it... people need to make a living somehow.

And I will add... the app is definitely of top quality and is deserving of being a paid app... this is not someone's hobby project.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:55:27 am by B0SST0N »

Offline Maartenvt

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 06:51:38 am »
Vera Edge (Firmware rev. 1.7.2406), 1x Düwi INTERACT³ light switch, 1x  ZIR010 Motion Sensor.

Offline Gwumm

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 06:53:15 am »
Here you can read a intervieuw with SC about the iphone app

http://venturebeat.com/2008/12/02/square-connect-turns-your-iphone-into-a-remote-control/
Wow... that's from '08.. this really is a project long in dev. I really hope it's not too much longer :)

Offline Maartenvt

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 07:12:10 am »
so the Premium functionality will be the IR addon. you will need a wifi to IR converter to control your TV, DVD, Audio........
What i can tell from the interview.
Vera Edge (Firmware rev. 1.7.2406), 1x Düwi INTERACT³ light switch, 1x  ZIR010 Motion Sensor.

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 09:14:43 am »
The new UI will be flash based and it will have a floorplan designer, also a lot of improvements have been added to our backend, a few plugins, support for the new door locks and much more.

You realize that flash means that the iphone web browser can't be used. Making squareconnect even that much more important. What are the iphone options if we don't want to buy the app?

The app will be free!

squareconnect.com mentions: "Premium functionality available through in-app purchase" any idea what premium functionality would be? My fear is the free app is a shell for controlling systems and we will need to in-app purchase a uPnP module to use it with Vera.

Your fear...? C'mon now... SquareConnect is putting a lot of time and effort into this app and are not financed by MCV. The least you can do is show your support and purchase the app if you are going to make use of it... people need to make a living somehow.

And I will add... the app is definitely of top quality and is deserving of being a paid app... this is not someone's hobby project.

One of the main selling points for Vera (for me) was controlling it from my iPhone. If the next version goes to Flash, that feature would be missing. Since we already paid MCV for that feature, and they have a partnership with Square Connect, I would expect that the functionally currently available from an iPhone would be in the free version of the app. This isn't me being greedy, this is because I have already paid MCV for that feature set.

Offline mdconnelly

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 12:39:19 pm »
On the www.zwaveworld.com site, there is an ad that links to http://micasaverde.com/promo101509.php

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any real info about that.  Is this what the new Square Connect software is?   What about that IR transmitter/receiver device?    Inquiring minds want to know...  ???

Offline michaelk

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 01:28:22 pm »

The app will be free!

One of the main selling points for Vera (for me) was controlling it from my iPhone. If the next version goes to Flash, that feature would be missing. Since we already paid MCV for that feature, and they have a partnership with Square Connect, I would expect that the functionally currently available from an iPhone would be in the free version of the app. This isn't me being greedy, this is because I have already paid MCV for that feature set.

this link to a post from CJ was posted earlier in this thread:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=2951.msg11901#msg11901

Indeed the new UI will be great, we're working on a flash ui with an integrated floorplan designer and much more options, two new native interfaces for iPhone and Android, a few extra plugins and support for the new Kwikset locks.

I think CJ is a (the?) big kahuna at mcv? and "native" would mean built in as in free- no?

Offline Jacobly

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 02:19:59 pm »
No, Native simply means that the application is developed for the device it is supposed to run on, and utilizes the devices own system resources to communicate with Vera. (ie NOT a Web Application) A Native App would be something that is Downloaded directly on the device. (For an iPhone, that would be through the App store.....for Android, that would be through the Android Market or any website that hosts a download-able copy of the app.)

It does not mean that these will be free. A lot of development time has been spent on getting these native apps to work with Vera, and due to this fact, I believe they will need to recoup some of their expenses by charging a nominal fee. (At least for the iPhone app, not sure what they are going to do about the Android app)

Vera really is a low cost product, and I think they have been more than generous to assist us in getting the dongle bug(s) situation figured out, and even foot the bill for replacements.....

I'm just a user like everyone else on this site, and these statements are only based on the previous discussions made here....
Z-Wave enthusiast

Offline michaelk

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2010, 02:51:59 pm »
ahh, thanks for 'splaining.

I guess time will tell.

My knee-jerk though is the MCV is very affordable for what it does and the hardware that is included.   (home seer software I think is over 200, mcontrol is like 125, neither includes a zwave dongle or a box (even a "limited router" to run it on). So if they need to charge 5 bucks for an android or iphone app then so be it. I get the point that they shouldn't remove something that did work- but honestly it doesn't sound that way to to me- I suspect the smartphone plugin, or the wap interface, or square whatever will have work some way some how. So there will still be a free option IMHO. I guess we'll see when it comes along. (also I'd imagine there's no reason why a user can't just stay on the current firmware until the end of time?)

Not exactly related to the person that posted above (as it's more than not wanting to get something removed) , but I'm amazed at what people feel they are entitled too from app stores. People complain all the time about the qaulity of the free apps. And they make comments like 'how hard should it be to make a quaility app that does that?"- well if they think it's so easy and quick they should do it.  Similarly , more generically, the android market is loaded with huge amounts of free stuff - some if it is ad supported- it's amazing how many reviews in the market are from tools complaining about the ads in the FREE software.  There's even some apps that have a pay version or a free ad supported version and I see people whine about the ads in the ad supported version. So cough up the 3 bucks and but y the pay version.

Offline Gwumm

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 07:46:33 pm »
I agree, as long as this lives up to the expectations (of what the beta testers are saying), it'll definitely be worth paying for :)

Back to MCV, do we have a scheduled release date for the new firmware as yet, last we heard it was either last weekend or this?   8)

Offline mdconnelly

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2010, 10:02:09 am »
If not this weekend, the next week!

Any news you can share? 

Offline michaelk

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 08:27:47 pm »
yeah-

I'm dying waiting.   ;)

I've got all sorts of ideas of little projects : a plugin, and a bunch of luup fiddling , etc. But I'm waiting for the next version to see if it makes my life a bunch easier to do any of it.

Offline blapoint

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 01:24:06 am »
How disappointing. I do not mean the missed commitment that MCV made to the community to release the new UI3 by last week. I am more disappointed that no effort was made to update the community even when direct question related to the new UI were asked at least three time since yesterday in this thread. I know that not every person sits on the edge of their chair waiting for new releases to come out but some do especially when a commitment is communicated and a single update from MCV stating the release had been delay due to XYZ would have gone a long way in my book.

Latly I have caught myself asking what makes MCV any different then other companies. I used to think it was customer service and that the company was focused on its user base. I'm not so sure anymore, I can get the same treatment from Microsoft or Bank of America two companies that have grown to big to care about a single user like me.