We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: IR Reciever "sensor"  (Read 1531 times)

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
IR Reciever "sensor"
« on: January 15, 2015, 07:00:17 am »
hey guys, i have a short question

would it somewhat possible to have a Arduino Supercharged with a IR Reciever working with Arduino-sensor plugin ?
i simply want to have "some" IR commands to be read in order to trigger switches, scenes or something else ...

my current plan is a phyton application on the raspberry and execute simple Curl's to the vera for the same result.
does anyone have semilar things done with Arduino Sensor ?

it just feels to make more sense to have a Arduino do this instead a fully loaded RPI.
1 VeraLite, 2 RaspberryPI, Harmony Remote, openLuup, 85 Devices, 34Nodes, 63 Triggers, 49 Scenes

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Re: IR Reciever "sensor"
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 08:02:22 am »
I have an Arduino-based IR receiver but it doesn't use the MySensors architecture. I use a direct Wifi connection and the device emulates a KIRA. It was originally intended to test plugins.

The IR part is quite easy. I used Ken Shirriff's IR library - see http://www.righto.com/2009/08/multi-protocol-infrared-remote-library.html.

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 08:26:08 am »
i was told wifi/lan & Arduino's are not so friendly in matters of beeing stable ..

well my goal is simply to be able to "control" the vera via IR.
by just Teach the harmony some non existing commands with a remote i use somewhere else in the house.

my aproach is to use one of the Raspberries i have flying arround everywhere doing other useless things,
connect the IR sensor .. and have a phyton script execute curls.

on the vera just add VMOTION sensors for each "button" i want to use.
the vera then just executes tripped triggers to do what i want the button to do.
the RPI in question has a PiFace and is used for other HA related pourposes ... i'm not sure i can just disable one PiFace-input for this pourpose.

later i had the idea to use this issue as an excuse to give mysensors a shot ...

but seeing Ken's blog now .. gives thins a new prospective ;)

instead of "proxy" i can also just make a curl ..
and everything becomes alot more Hardware'ish .. which i actually prefer for a application like this.

1 VeraLite, 2 RaspberryPI, Harmony Remote, openLuup, 85 Devices, 34Nodes, 63 Triggers, 49 Scenes

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 09:29:30 am »
i was told wifi/lan & Arduino's are not so friendly in matters of beeing stable ..

I take the easy path. I use Wifi UART modules that provide the connection to my LAN. As far as the Arduino is concerned, it just sends and receives via the serial port. I switched to using the USR WIFI232-T modules for the last few devices I've made. They cost me USD 12.00 each from China and work very reliably. They are configured using their in-built web server.

I've attached the basic wiring of an Arduino Pro Mini and USR WIFI232-T as an IR transceiver. There is really not much to it. 

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:31:09 am »
That is VERY interesting indeed!
Thanks alot

but can the Wifi UART then excute curl's to trigger the vera ?

i guess a "RS232 serial UART to Ethernet Module " would do the same job ?
like this one: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/UART-ETH-E001-Cortex-M3-kernel-TCP-UDP-LWIP-protocol-UART-and-Ethernet-converter-connector-communication/1790160937.html

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:40:00 am by nullx8 »