32 (34%)
Danfoss RA Plus-w
3 (3.2%)
Other Z-Wave
10 (10.6%)
Non Z-Wave
15 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Thermostats - which one you use?  (Read 14422 times)

Offline Anthony420

Re: Thermostats - which one you use?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 10:56:43 am »
I have two WDTC20 thermostats, and find the hysteresis to be spot on at about Plus / minus 1 degree.  That is both for heating and cooling.  I suspect something else is going on.  I'm basing my statement on remote viewing of the setpoint Vs the current temperature.  I have not compared the displayed current temperature with a calibrated instrument, but that error would not be related to hysteresis, but rather to accuracy, so that should not apply here.

Great use of the word hysteresis.  I have always called this thermostat function by that name, and most people have no idea what I'm talking about.  I hear it called "anticipator", "proportional band" and a number of other things.  Hysteresis is the correct engineering term.

Anthony

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 03:44:27 pm »
From what I have heard the 1 Degree difference +/- is due to a rounding discrepancy between the thermostat and Vera.  One is rounding up while the other isn't.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline ChrisMack

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 04:12:54 pm »
I use the WDTC-20's and got them for 75.00 each. I like many here, had problems closing them. However, by removing the unused connection terminals, it closes much easier. Process: Remove unused screw, then with needle nose pliars - pinch the terminal connector to drop out of plastic housing.

Offline kristinaw

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 01:42:28 pm »
Be interested in people's view of real benefit beyond what a standard programmable thermostat offers for a typical homeowner that the ZWave alternative gives.  I want to buy the Trane, but can't get myself to spend the money just to gain limited access through Vera, and my home would require 3.

Personally, I always found "programmable" thermostats to be a real pain in the @ss to set. Once set, they're not terribly easy to modify. Setting up scenes to program the thermostats with vera is a snap, they're easily modifiable, and you can monitor/change it from anywhere that has a network connection.

Offline wotipka

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 01:30:06 am »
I am using the WD-20.

Pros:
Cheap
Already had the "C" so that was not a problem
Easy for the family to understand / control at the unit.

Cons:
Fan On/Auto does not work with Vera
No "AUTO" setting to automatically switch from heat to cool
Plastic case feels like it is going to break when you take it apart.

Moving soon and will need an additional thermostat.  Will most likely go with the Trane after reading the posts.
Vera 1.0.979 HA02 Appliance Module, HA04 Outdoor Appliance, 3 HA05 Screw-in Lamp Modules, HA03 Lamp Module, WDTC20 Thermostat, Schlage i-Link Lock, Panasonic DC30 camera.

Offline Chimpware

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 07:49:41 am »
Be interested in people's view of real benefit beyond what a standard programmable thermostat offers for a typical homeowner that the ZWave alternative gives.  I want to buy the Trane, but can't get myself to spend the money just to gain limited access through Vera, and my home would require 3.

Personally, I always found "programmable" thermostats to be a real pain in the @ss to set. Once set, they're not terribly easy to modify. Setting up scenes to program the thermostats with vera is a snap, they're easily modifiable, and you can monitor/change it from anywhere that has a network connection.

Really?  There is no way someone who cannot program a thermostat can get Vera to work, it is just not possible at all.

I agree they are a bit of a PITA to set, and with 3, when I decide to make a change I have to replicate the change 3 times over, but once done for Hot/Cold they are set for quite a while, until I decide I will get clever to reduce my bills and make some minor changes.

I guess for me the main benefit would be if I forget to set them in Vacation mode when we are away I could remotely shut down the system and turn it on before returning.

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 09:43:06 am »
I find the built in scheduling to be very limiting. In the ones I have looked at you can pick 3-4 times a day when the set points will change, but you have to use the same times for both heat and cool. My heating and cooling schedules are very different, so I would have reprogram such a device every 6 months.

Offline Keeper

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 06:12:31 pm »
Which thermostat should be used for a het pump?  Does VERA work with a heat pump thermostt?

Trane does work with heat pumps

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 06:39:35 pm »
Love my tranes... except not being able to set multiple setpoints in a scene, although I haven't tried it with luup... or with a delay between setpoints...

The choice to have schedules or not is nice.
Vera1 (1.1142), Vera2 (1.1182), VRI06 (12), VRS15 (3), VRS05 (2), VRF01 (2), VRCS4 (2), ZRW113, ZRF113 (2), 45602, 45603, TZMT400 (2), FE599 (2), 99100, Thinkstick, Harmony 890Pro (2), Harmony RF Extender, Nevo S70, Nevo NC-50, Minimote, SQ Remote, SQ Blaster, EtherRain-8, Cliste ActiveRFID, TED5002

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 07:36:07 pm »
except not being able to set multiple setpoints in a scene
I submitted a bug regarding the inability of setting both set points in the same scene. Aaron responded that it is in fact a bug in Vera and they he was working on a fix. That was 2/20/2010, I have not been able to get any status from him on the progress.

Offline Chimpware

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 01:59:37 pm »
I find the built in scheduling to be very limiting. In the ones I have looked at you can pick 3-4 times a day when the set points will change, but you have to use the same times for both heat and cool. My heating and cooling schedules are very different, so I would have reprogram such a device every 6 months.

Good point regarding summer / winter times. I have always used occupation times assuming that this is the same during both seasons, which for  most people it probably is, but I could see making adjustments to this.

Offline Sleeve

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 07:12:13 pm »
I submitted a bug regarding the inability of setting both set points in the same scene. Aaron responded that it is in fact a bug in Vera and they he was working on a fix. That was 2/20/2010, I have not been able to get any status from him on the progress.

Good.  I'm glad to know I'm not delirious or incompetent.  This week I crossed the line from lurker to owner and one of my first obstacles was setting both setpoints on the thermostats.  Fortunately, the cooling setpoint is the one that's working and I live where we need cooling during the day and nothing at night right now.  Two scenes with different timers I guess would make a low tech workaround until I learn Lua and luup, but MCV has until December to fix the bug until I need to lift a finger on this.

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 07:48:05 pm »

Good.  I'm glad to know I'm not delirious or incompetent.  This week I crossed the line from lurker to owner and one of my first obstacles was setting both setpoints on the thermostats.  Fortunately, the cooling setpoint is the one that's working and I live where we need cooling during the day and nothing at night right now.  Two scenes with different timers I guess would make a low tech workaround until I learn Lua and luup, but MCV has until December to fix the bug until I need to lift a finger on this.

According to the following post this is fixed in 1.0.991 and 1.1.304. I have not been able to confirm that though.
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3420.msg16389#msg16389

Offline Sleeve

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 07:20:07 pm »
Confirmed fixed in 319.

Offline PWOA

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 06:03:26 pm »
I ended up using the Trane.  The Wayne Dalton didnot work on a heat pump.  The Trane was veratile and had the necessary wiring to flip the unit from cool to heat.