We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Alternate UI to UI7  (Read 206342 times)

Offline amg0

• Master Member
Re: Alternate UI to UI7
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 05:28:24 pm »
Just added device variable view. ( variables are ordered alphabetaically & timestamp preseted as date ... ) sounds trivial but allways been a grief I had against UI5 & UI7 that variable are not ordered and timestamp are unix timestamp. not really user friendly.

Offline bdevaux

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 08:07:36 pm »
cant wait to try...

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 06:19:08 pm »
I have added some new key features:
- dialog to see device variables
- dialog to run/execute any UPNP action of the devices. but careful with this feature.
- better error display management for jobs & results
- installed plugin screen and button to update them from the list
- slider for the dimmer device + special support for touch screens ( ipad.. )

screen shots & install instruction is in the PDF doc.
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_ipx800/export/171/trunk/AltUI/doc.pdf

code is in the same place http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_ipx800/browser/trunk/AltUI

enjoy

Offline gregl

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 12:09:31 am »
hi amg0, thanks again for this. I got the first version up and running on UI7 and its definitely got promise!

One request please. Could you zip up the files on code.mios.com into a single zip to d/l ? saves time downloading from the site and uploading for each version.

Thanks again

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 02:40:53 am »
For the files, you can use this "link" : http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_ipx800/changeset/182/trunk?old_path=%2F&format=zip
but then please only install the files in the AltUI folder of the archive.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:18:35 pm by amg0 »

Offline gregl

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 05:47:28 am »
Fantastic - thats a lot easier!

Your improvements also are wonderful! This is the UI that Vera should have created!

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 02:01:40 pm »
Still making progress. a little breakthrough today, I am able to offer a UI to modify LUA startup code and use the not so well documented api ModifyUserData "http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ModifyUserData".

tested on UI5 and UI7 and with complex code & characters, so I think it is reliable.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 02:27:18 pm »
Be careful with that call ... A mistake there can brick Vera requiring someone (like support) to rollback to a previous user_data state.
You need to be very defensive about the DATA you pass to this call.

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 06:21:15 pm »
@RichardTSchaefer
Yes indeed, it seems a powerful api but quite dangerous. for now little risk with what I do with it.

I reworked scene display and prepare for next efforts ( scene details display & editor ... ). files & PDF with screen shot here : http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_ipx800/changeset/195/trunk?old_path=%2F&format=zip
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:09:00 pm by amg0 »

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 06:14:00 pm »
Now scene editor in progress.  I have , not yet a scene editor, but at least a scene "decoder". cf screen.  what a messy piece of code ... and some inconsistencies accross device types. Hard to make bug free code when things are changing in the underlying data ( sometime a name, sometime not,  sometime a argumentlist, sometime not etc ... )

files: http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_ipx800/changeset/195/trunk?old_path=%2F&format=zip inside the ALTUI folder.

Offline dmckenna

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 08:43:06 am »
Top banana !!

Looks very clean and fresh, well done, awesome work.

QQ:
1) Are you anticipating any issues with this and the current role out of 7.0.4 firmware ?
2) What are you plans for the future of this long term ? Is it an experiment for now, or would be prepared to commit to development long term and even charge for it ? (like RTS)

You've got my support for the future.

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 09:01:10 am »
Top banana !!

Looks very clean and fresh, well done, awesome work.

QQ:
1) Are you anticipating any issues with this and the current role out of 7.0.4 firmware ?
2) What are you plans for the future of this long term ? Is it an experiment for now, or would be prepared to commit to development long term and even charge for it ? (like RTS)

You've got my support for the future.

I will fix eventual issues for 7.0.4 firmware, hopefully not too dependent on it.

I have a day job so cannot really commit or make a business at it but I want to continue this long term and want to welcome other developpers to help me, I do not think to charge for it, maybe volunteeer donation via paypal at best. But eventually if MCV listen it could be that they want to take / license it and use it instead of UI7 ...  we can dream :-)

otherwise it will remain an alternative UI and I ll welcome others to help / contribute given few rules.
- full responsive design ( bootstrap grid system )
- few js framework : bootstrap jquery jqueryui is enough, maybe one more for a graphic lib
- putting as little strain on the back-end server  ( the vera box ) as possible, all/most is client based, one page, even using CDN to download minified js framework instead of vera
- seperation of HTML & code via CSS
- some simple naming convention for CSS classes etc..
- do not rely on complex JSON files but offer ability for developper of plugin to code in JS to display his plugin . for instance one goal as to seperate dashboard and scene editor ( decision which I believe is at the root of many UI7 mess and UI5 to some extent ) each device is displayed using a pure javascript callback so developper would be quite free to do fancy things in the dashboards. we could also have a different display mode to display devices with more space ( at the click of a button ) and still let the developper do the plugin display.  and the scene editor and the custom panel with drag and drop to position some device exactly how you want and then save the "page" etc ...
- looking for somebody to code the MMS authentication and encapsulate the page into a "PhoneGap" shell and produce directrly a native mobile application for it , thus directly reusing html5 and js code. right now it works great ( local access ) on iphone4s & ipad for instance

the more I do the more I find to do :) :) the scene editor proves to be hard...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:04:14 am by amg0 »

Offline dmckenna

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 09:38:02 am »
amg0

Looks like a solid plan, thanks again for taking the time to develop an alternative future to the clunky UI that Vera have imposed on us, I really, really look forward to seeing this develop with the input of this community at large.

Some feedback on v0.21
*) VERY fast, uncluttered. Scales up/down well on different browsers - UI5 style feel running on UI7 backend
*) It's picking up devices which are (probably) hidden in the native UI7 - something called "_sensor" of which I'm showing around 50 of them in one room, all unknown to me
*) Am assuming that devices with a status showing of "_todo_" are exactly that - ones that you'll get around to doing in the future ? Would you like a list of what they are ?
*) Both 'Variables' and 'Actions' pull down on any device does not do anything (no error, no fails, no UI popup) - is this enabled yet ?

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 10:32:16 am »
amg0

Looks like a solid plan, thanks again for taking the time to develop an alternative future to the clunky UI that Vera have imposed on us, I really, really look forward to seeing this develop with the input of this community at large.

Some feedback on v0.21
*) VERY fast, uncluttered. Scales up/down well on different browsers - UI5 style feel running on UI7 backend
*) It's picking up devices which are (probably) hidden in the native UI7 - something called "_sensor" of which I'm showing around 50 of them in one room, all unknown to me
*) Am assuming that devices with a status showing of "_todo_" are exactly that - ones that you'll get around to doing in the future ? Would you like a list of what they are ?
*) Both 'Variables' and 'Actions' pull down on any device does not do anything (no error, no fails, no UI popup) - is this enabled yet ?

yes i need to filter out hidden device, at the same time it is interesting and useful to see them so maybe a user option

yes please tell me where you see a "todo"

variable & action as well as scene detail should be visible. see screen shots in the document http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_ipx800/browser/trunk/AltUI/doc.docx

and maybe reapply latest version http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_ipx800/changeset/195/trunk?old_path=%2F&format=zip

after install: remember to "refresh browser cache"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:34:39 am by amg0 »

Offline dmckenna

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 07:49:38 am »
Hi,

Just stumbling across what may be a memory issue (I have reloaded, and cleared cache too). This may be related to the pull down menus not appearing at all.

Selecting ALL under Devices only displays first 27 devices, then blanks for the remainder. Furthermore when I select some rooms, these are also blank. BUT after a restart, these then show devices and other rooms then become blank. The pull down menus do not work.

Here's a screenshot of the final few of the 27 (I've got over 100 devices expected).