We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: OFF-TOPIC! Looking for a new router...  (Read 9838 times)

Offline Aaron

Re: OFF-TOPIC! Looking for a new router...
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 10:01:04 am »
Why do you guys have such complex home networks?
I work from home, I VPN my work system to the office (VPN app provided by my company)  and my home network is one subnet, wlan and LAN together.
Why add vlans and such? I don't see any benefit for performance and, if security is what you want a good firewall is all you need...  My Asus is fine,  I'm not Bill Gates, I'm not worried about someone hacking my system.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Offline TC1

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 10:55:53 am »
I work from home, I VPN my work system to the office (VPN app provided by my company)  and my home network is one subnet, wlan and LAN together.
Why add vlans and such? I don't see any benefit for performance and, if security is what you want a good firewall is all you need...  My Asus is fine,  I'm not Bill Gates, I'm not worried about someone hacking my system.

There are many reasons. One of them is to isolate Layer 2 collision domains, this ensures that a rogue device on your network doesn't take down every other device on your network. By isolating your HA/Security and your VPN, if you had a defective network device that was flooding the network, you'd still be able to get alerts and be able to connect remotely to troubleshoot. Many of us here are networking and technology engineers, these are the types of situations we've seen in our careers, and hence, we plan for them.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 11:05:51 am »

• I don't VPN (I think that my company should made me, but they don't). Even then, I would not always be on the VPN when I'm not working. As it is, when I leave my office i LOCK my computer (and no one in my house knows my password to that machine or is even allowed to touch it). I even have a scene when I turn off the light in that room, it locks the computer (if it is not already) using event ghost. HIPAA and HI-TECH are very serious standards that even though my company doesn't always necessarily follow them exactly, I do my best to follow them to the best of my ability according to my understanding. After all, we are talking protected health information (PHI) here. I treat the information as if it were my own. Luckily most of the information is stored on a server in CA in a HIPAA/HiTech certified datacenter, but one does have access to that server via my machine.
  • I have a server with 18TB of storage currently (only using less than half my server drive bays). I keep 1080p blu ray rips (own all the discs) and I plan on adding a raspberry pi in each room with a TV (currently 3, soon to be 4, ultimately 6). Because of this I want to make sure that if all TVs are watching content, that there is no slow down (Link aggregation to the server will help with this). I got a quad nic with my order to put in my server that support Link Aggregation. that will give me 4gbps to the switch and then  will Link aggregate the rack switch to the main house switch to feed all the devices.
  • I went with just a normal wifi-router, then the wifi freaked out and I went with just a wireless AP since it allowed me to centrally locate the wifi inconspicuously. Much better than having my router (and all the wires) running from the central location. Now the router is dead and the ERL allows me to do everything I was doing before for less ($100) than buying a new consumer grade router
  • I user Vlans to split out my network. I have Work (my work machine), Household (everything else that people in the house own), and Guest. I even have a vlan for my teenage step-daugher that is completely separate from everyone else so that she can have friends over and they can use the wifi without me worrying about them accessing anything on my normal network. Not that they would be malicious, but I would rather not take the chance and this way, I can just change the pass phrase at will and let her know the new on if I choose.
  • I kinda love to mess with this stuff. It's fun to me to try new stuff like this. I do little projects like this all the time around the house. Ranging from completely wiring the house (Cat6, RG6, HDMI, etc) to Home Automation to landscaping, etc. I love DIY home improvement stuff and in my twisted little mind, networking the house falls under that umbrella.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline tomgru

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 05:30:02 pm »
seems like a good place to ask this question.  Any recommendations to good forums for networking newbies.  I love this forum... looking for similar.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 08:01:36 am »
seems like a good place to ask this question.  Any recommendations to good forums for networking newbies.  I love this forum... looking for similar.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/

Would be a good start.

- Garrett

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 09:21:42 am »
One of the reasons why I have such a complex network (e.g. using vlans) is one that TC1 pointed out. I try to keep my devices separate from each other. A good example is my Home Automation and Security devices. I want this separate from my main network and more restricted on outside and inside access. An issue I ran into a few months ago can be seen here:

Plex and Vera LuaUPnP restarts

If it were not for my segmentation of my network, it would have been more difficult to figure out what this issue. My home automation / security vlan has far less devices than my main network. It also does not help that I have a background in Network Engineering, Computer Programming, and  Super Computer field. I like to tinker, learn and go the extreme out. :)

- Garrett
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:28:56 am by garrettwp »

Offline TC1

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 10:22:07 am »

If it were not for my segmentation of my network, it would have been more difficult to figure out what this issue. My home automation / security vlan has far less devices than my main network. It also does not help that I have a background in Network Engineering, Computer Programming, and  Super Computer field. I like to tinker, learn and go the extreme out. :)

- Garrett

:)

I feel like I found a long lost brother....

Offline mvader

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 07:12:10 pm »

There are many reasons. One of them is to isolate Layer 2 collision domains, this ensures that a rogue device on your network doesn't take down every other device on your network. By isolating your HA/Security and your VPN, if you had a defective network device that was flooding the network, you'd still be able to get alerts and be able to connect remotely to troubleshoot. Many of us here are networking and technology engineers, these are the types of situations we've seen in our careers, and hence, we plan for them.

I also am a network engineer & am running vlans. I had this exact issue. i had some oregon scientific weather station the little module that connected to the internet spazzed out and took down my network. i never could figure it out. finally had to go to my switch and start disconnecting things 1 by one until i figured it out. as soon as i hooked that device up, network froze.. and it was working.
so after that experience, i started separating things out.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 11:16:54 am »
So, I have the new NIC for the server, switch and router in. I've only had time to run the lines for the server to the switch and set up the LAG. It's a great feeling of accomplishment saying I had never done it before and it was quite fun to work through it.

I've only had a few minutes to look at the ERL. @GarrettWP, I know this might be a peculiar request, but is there a way I could see your config for the ERL? It seems like it will be very close to how I want mine setup and seeing a config for this exact setup would be helpful. I've been researching it as well, I just thought this might give me a little boost. We could set up to transfer it over email. If you don't mind, I could give you my email over PM here on the forums.

That said, today I'm gonna try and run the trunk between the rack and the SMC and then test it out. Not sure I'll have it finished as I had to order some stuff to complete it.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)

Offline gtallan

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 10:51:50 am »
I'm also playing at switching out my home router, after about 10 years of using m0n0wall - which I'm happy with, but would like to use more of an embedded device (less power consumption).

After looking at the Edgerouter carefully (and it does seem a nice device), I'm instead using a little Mikrotik box. After all of 1 day it seems pretty impressive  -  take that as you will for a recommendation :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-Routerboard-RB2011UiAS-2HnD--Port-Ethernet

Obviously I don't expect too much routing performance out of this but it's more than a match for my home cable connection.

I've never believed in combined router/wireless devices (to date was using some surplus Proxim APs at home) but the wireless on this also seems very good (and plenty sophisticated, with ability for multiple SSIDs, captive portal, etc, if wanted)

Overall configuration is a bit bizarre compared to what I've used before, in particular the firewall feels cumbersome compared to pf, but full featured nonetheless.

Worth a look.

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 11:38:37 am »
Mikrotik! Cheap and "works"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 VeraLite, 2 RaspberryPI, Harmony Remote, openLuup, 85 Devices, 34Nodes, 63 Triggers, 49 Scenes

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 08:24:29 pm »
Well, I got the trunk between the two switches up. IT's a "static" LAG, but the switch in the SMC only support static and I have yet to find another smart switch of that size, so it will have to do for now.

I also got the ERL in today. I have to say, that my old router (after it's last crash) was only doing 25mbps on my 50mbps line..I since upgraded to 105mbps service and it was just as bad (25mbps). I put the ERL in and now I'm pulling 125mbps!!! A strong 14MB download speed on files. It's not google fiber, but I live in a small town and I think it'll be good for now :)

Still learning the ins and outs of the ERL, but so far so good. My only concern is to make sure I have the firewall setup correct. I think it by default though is to block everything, which should suffice.