We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Good news and Bad news  (Read 5582 times)

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: Good news and Bad news
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 03:46:33 pm »
Long standing issue in MiOS...

Here's the RNET version of that issue:
    http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16200.msg124515.html#msg124515

Creating a "one stop fits all" version of these files is also not the answer.  Per UPnP Spec, vendors are permitted to augment these [standard] ServiceId's with their own vendor-specific extensions.... and they do.  If you attempt to create a one-size-fits-all version, then it'll be the Union of all of these extensions... which becomes impractical to maintain, along with not being a clean representation of the Services that each UPnP [Device] actually implements.

Add it to the list of "If only MiOS fixed..." stuff ;)

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 06:21:05 pm »
Thanks, guessed.

I was just thinking that perhaps at least between the Sonos, Squeezebox and DLNA plug-ins we could standardize the service library...but then I suspect most users don't have more than any one of those installed anyway.  (I only had both installed for testing.) 

The real issue is with any other 3rd party media rendering devices...certainly can see the use case of someone having either sonos/dlna/squeezebox plus something like a specific receiver. (Just like the RNET case you referred to.)  As you mentioned...simply impractical to try and maintain.

The only other option would be to use a completely different service.  Forget AVTransport and RenderingControl...create "SqueezboxTransport" and "SqueezeboxControl" control.  I guess the risk there is with 3rd party apps / interfaces?

In the end I suppose I'll just leave it as-is.  so no different than Sonos / DLNA plugins in that respect.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:23:37 pm by JoeyD »

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 06:37:11 pm »
In the end I suppose I'll just leave it as-is.  so no different than Sonos / DLNA plugins in that respect.

Yup, that's what I'd do...   

Changing the serviceId's just to work around a MiOS bug will only cause other ripple effects.

For example, requests to "Please implement support for AV Device Types <A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I...>" x nnn Control Points"

vs...

requests to "Please implement support for Devices with the [std] UPnP ServiceId <X, Y>" x nnn Control Points"

It's both funny and sad to watch that happen when a new Plugin new comes out...  8)

PS: I generate openHAB Item Bindings for the standard UPnP AV ServiceId's, when found on MiOS Devices.  If you tweak them to use non-standard names, then [theoretically] I'd need to change something to accommodate it... which is also impractical...