Author Topic: Plugin Version 2.0 Beta  (Read 1722 times)

Offline JoeyD

Plugin Version 2.0 Beta
« on: February 06, 2015, 06:44:44 pm »
Howdy folks,

Version 2.0 (beta) is ready for consumption.  If you followed the other thread, you'll know my ultimate purpose here is to get native Text To Speech capability worked in to Squeezebox.  In preparation for that, I wanted to review and slightly tweak the most recent code base (version 1.3) that had been made available by garrettwp.  My intent is to release this version (2.0) to the app store.  I wanted the initial "public" release to be minimally changed from the current version.

This specific release will be more of a benefit to UI7 users than UI5, since the previous version didn't specifically support UI7.  The rest of the changes are mostly cosmetic.

Here are the changes:

Code Structure:
  • Broke out the majority of the code from the implementation file, and put it in a separate lua file.  (Makes for easier development / debugging)
  • The S_MediaNavigation.xml file will no longer be included in the distribution, since it is part of the core files of Vera.
  • There is a separate SqueezboxPlayer JSON for UI7 users
  • Added  a service file for the SqueezeboxControl, to support the UI in entering the IP and Port.

Usability / Cosmetic Enhancements:
  • Implemented "friendlier" start-up.  There are now task messages (those blue messages near the top of the screen) alerting the user for the need to enter IP or Port settings, and a separate task message if you entered an IP, but it cannot connect to a valid media server.
  • The Media Server device now displays IP, Port, and connection status on the dashboard view.
  • The Media Server device now has text boxes to enter in the IP address / port for one-click "update and reload" (instead of having to go to the advanced tab, update variables, manually reload...)
  • Updated icon for the media server
  • Mute button on the UI is now a toggle.  (This is not a change to the underlying action itself, just a change iin how the UI works).
  • Custom UI7 user interface.  There is currently one unresolved issue here.  The "flash tab" (the tab you get when you click on the ">" icon on the device) does not have a working volume slider.  The volume slider works properly on the main dashboard view, but there's apparently a UI7 bug preventing it from working on the inner tab.  To compensate for now, I included volume +/- buttons on this tab

To install the beta, (pn either UI5 or UI7):

• download the attached zip, and upload all of the included files to Vera. ( Apps-->Develop Apps-->luup files). You should be fine if you have a previous version installed, or if this is a fresh install.  Make sure the check-box for "restart..." has a check mark in it.
  • If you are upgrading from version 1.3, then there's nothing much else to do except refresh your browser a few times.   If you're on UI7, vera will need to restart a couple times in order to utilize the UI7 specific JSON file.
  • If this is a new install, after Step 1, go to Apps-->Develop Apps-->Create Device.  Enter in "D_SqueezeboxControl1.xml" (no quotes) into the UPnP Device filename field.  Enter in any Description you want (such as Logitech Multimedia Server).  And click on Create Device
  • Reload the luup engine
  • Go to the device control tab, and enter in the IP address of your LMS (Squeezebox Server)
  • If all goes well, a couple reboots and browser refreshes later, you'll see your Squeezebox radios on your device list.

All feedback welcome of course!

(Edit: The Beta attachment has been removed from this post.  The official 2.0 version is now available to install directly from the app store.)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:27:28 am by JoeyD »

Offline sota

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Plugin Version 2.0 Beta
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:40:44 am »
Great to see some progress with this plugin, thanks! It installed no problem over the existing plugin on UI5, and seem to run fine. One small cosmetic problem is the controller IP address extends beyond it's frame - see attached.

Offline JoeyD

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 12:30:09 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, sota.

I'll tweak that prior to publishing it to the app store.  It's definitely a pain to try and get visually pleasing results using the same JSON file for both UI5 and UI7.  It's not worth having separate JSON files for the server device since the UI is simple though.

FYI, I also now have beta support for Text To Speech.    I want to have 2.0 publicly available from the app store first though before I make the beta with TTS available for download.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:36:58 pm by JoeyD »

Offline sota

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:38:18 am »
Great, I'm looking forward to getting the TTS up and running.