We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: 3-way switches replacment and wiring help  (Read 8372 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: 3-way switches replacment and wiring help
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 05:26:35 pm »
I forgot to mention, there are multiple recessed lights in each room, not one light switch in the middle where I believe the light source is going to. I assume then I wouldn't know exactly where the source is going to without taking everything apart.

Well when you have no idea where anything goes, I think it's fair to say we also have no idea where it goes.

At this point its no good for any of us to threw guesses at you. If you have no neutrals in any of the boxes it's almost 99% you won't get a 3 way z-wave setup going. A single dimmer yes and even then it will have to be a 2 wire dimmer and it will need a min. load and might not work right with LED bulbs.

Your options are to get a netural in the box or add the z-wave device where the neutral is. This will require some work on your part or an electricians. You need to find the can where the power is coming in and hopefully it's also where the switch is also coming in. Basically really find out whats going on and not guess. 

Offline Remnkemi

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 11:05:31 pm »
I took apart my ceiling and found the junction box and all the wires. I'm planning on getting the Aeon DSC26103-ZWUS microswitch and put it in the junction box. I'm not sure how I would wire the Aeon micro switch in this configuration. Can someone guide me to a diagram that would help?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 11:14:17 pm »
I took apart my ceiling and found the junction box and all the wires. I'm planning on getting the Aeon DSC26103-ZWUS microswitch and put it in the junction box. I'm not sure how I would wire the Aeon micro switch in this configuration. Can someone guide me to a diagram that would help?

Well done, we can work with that!

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 07:56:28 am »
The attached diagram is what you need for your drawn circuit.

Offline Remnkemi

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 03:19:36 pm »
I setup the micro switch like the diagram. Wink hub was able to connect and I got the light to work through Zwave. However, the Maestro 3 way switches don't do anything. Is there a way to get both the manual light switches and Zwave to work?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 04:07:24 pm »
I setup the micro switch like the diagram. Wink hub was able to connect and I got the light to work through Zwave. However, the Maestro 3 way switches don't do anything. Is there a way to get both the manual light switches and Zwave to work?

They should work, something is not right in the wiring.

EDIT:
Also why would you z-wave to the wink hub and not vera?

Offline Remnkemi

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 10:17:36 am »
It wasn't the wiring. I checked and rechecked. It was the Maestro dimming switches. They need power to them to work. I added a microswitch to another room that was wired the same way as in the diagram. I wired the microswitch exactly the same way and it everything worked fine. The only difference is the other room doesn't have Maestro switches. I then added another wire to give power to the Maestro switches alongside the microswitch and the microswitch blew out. I guess the only solution is to switch the Maestro switches for traditional 3 way switches. Is this correct?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 12:13:40 pm »
I then added another wire to give power to the Maestro switches alongside the microswitch and the microswitch blew out. I guess the only solution is to switch the Maestro switches for traditional 3 way switches. Is this correct?
Only two kinds of switches can be used to activate in-wall micro switches. They are standard bistable(flip flop) switches and momentary(normally open) switches.

You cannot use a dimmer of any kind to control in-wall micro switches.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:18:58 pm by Z-Waver »