We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New CT-less whole home circuit level monitoring  (Read 2712 times)

Offline niharmehta

New CT-less whole home circuit level monitoring
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:58:49 am »
I had an opportunity to attend a utility trade show this week.  Quite a few vendors displaying their newest connected thermostats, energy monitors,  intelligent power strips, and some HA systems.

A new company called "Energy Box" was showing off their unreleased whole home energy monitoring system.  What made this one interesting vs.  Ted Spyder and Brultech GEM was that it required NO CT's . They apparently have a system where you just stick on sensors to your actual circuit breakers and it will measure current to within 5%.  The data is visualized on an in-home display,  web interface, and they specifically talked about having an API available as well. They said that they plan on releasing in the July time frame and have not yet determined pricing but said it will be < $1000 .

Since a picture is far better than my explanation, here are some I procured from their twitter feed. For some reason I neglected to take my own shots.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:16:39 am by niharmehta »
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline ServiceXp

Re: New CT-less whole home circuit level monitoring
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 06:45:06 am »
No double pole breakers?
U.S.A Vera 3

Offline TC1

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:17:34 am »
That is indeed interesting, I haven't read up on them yet, but my guess would be Hall sensors to detect induced current flow. Thanks for posting this.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 08:33:33 am »
It's a cool idea. I like it and hope that it works as well as they state.

@TC1 - I'm sure it's the individual LED lights on each of the sensors that makes it work.  ;)

Offline TC1

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 10:21:28 am »
@Z-waver, no doubt. I bet the fact they chose green LEDs is what saves the electricity!

@niharmehta, my google-fu must be bad today because I can't find any info on this particular product name. Do you know the name of the company?

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:32:24 am »

Offline TC1

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 11:12:32 am »
Wow.... i feel stupid  :P
They should hire better marketing, they don't come up in a Google search.

Thanks @guessed!

Offline TC1

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:13:48 pm »
FYI, I emailed these folks last week asking for availability and have yet to get a response. Could be more vaporware.

Anyone have better luck finding out more info?

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 03:01:23 am »
They said that the plan is for a release around july.  They had a decently sized booth at the show, so at least there is some money behind it. THey seem to be a sister company to this company  www.gdcworld.com.
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline TC1

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 10:42:26 am »
Well, not responding to sales inquiries is never a good sign. Best of luck to them.

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 02:56:51 pm »
Agreed.. I will believe it when I see it as well.  Looks like an interesting solution if they can back up their claims .  I have the contact of the VP that spoke with regarding the product. I will follow up with him in a month or two to see where they are on the product.  I will let you know what I find out.

Offline TC1

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 05:45:11 pm »
Agreed.. I will believe it when I see it as well.  Looks like an interesting solution if they can back up their claims .  I have the contact of the VP that spoke with regarding the product. I will follow up with him in a month or two to see where they are on the product.  I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks, appreciate it. It always amazes me when people come up with great ideas/products, that other people are saying "take my money, please!" and the company somehow can't deliver.