We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Kiddie Smoke & CO Combo  (Read 1506 times)

Offline EZFett

Kiddie Smoke & CO Combo
« on: April 03, 2016, 11:06:16 am »
Hey everyone.
This is my first post. I just received my Vera Plus a yesterday and so far i gotta say I'm much more impressed with the customization and usefulness over my pervious Wink system. With that being said, I have a little problem I'm wondering if it's possible to rectify. My Kiddie Smoke/CO combo works great with my Wink. Seeing that the Vera Plus has all the same radios as my Wink had, Im curious if theres a way to add them to my Vera platform. I'm not sure where to even start since its not a generic device like a light switch or door sensor.

Thank you guys for your help.

Marc Shenker

Re: Kiddie Smoke & CO Combo
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:51:07 am »
EZFett, welcome to Vera!

From what I can find out about the Kiddie S/CO detector is that it is Wi-Fi. There are many Z-Wave devices that are inter-compatible with little to work needing to be done to integrate them onto our platform but when it comes to Wi-Fi connected devices, ZigBee and Bluetooth, they all require that our Dev Team integrate them into the platform, kind of like creating a device driver so it will work on the platform.

In this case, the Kiddie hasn't been integrated into our platform. I understand that you already had these devices from your previous system, in the future you want to check this list to find the products that work best with Vera, http://getvera.com/compatibility/.

In the case of the Kiddie detector, from what I can find it was made specifically for the Wink system. Our approach is different, we try not to limit our users choices or options and we don't have other manufacturers develop propriatary devices for our platform; we don't feel that is in the best interest of our users.

Offline EZFett

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »
Thank you for your quick reply! I kind of figured that, but just wanted to see if I had any options. I do appreciate it though!

Offline cybrmage

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 07:20:57 pm »
Thank you for your quick reply! I kind of figured that, but just wanted to see if I had any options. I do appreciate it though!

The Kidde Smoke/CO combo detector that is supported by the Wink Hub is NOT WiFi... It uses a Kidde proprietary 433MHz radio, that is not available on a Vera unit...

You can use the detector on your Vera, as it is supported by the Wink Connect plugin.

Marc Shenker

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:28:58 am »

The Kidde Smoke/CO combo detector that is supported by the Wink Hub is NOT WiFi... It uses a Kidde proprietary 433MHz radio, that is not available on a Vera unit...

You can use the detector on your Vera, as it is supported by the Wink Connect plugin.

Thanks for clarifying. Couldn't find any details on anything but WiFi on their or HD's site.

Offline EZFett

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 10:15:07 pm »
That's very true. I didn't even know they had this plug-in. Thank you for your help!