Author Topic: This can't be true ... no local security on UI7/Vera Edge???  (Read 8974 times)

Offline Tillsy

Re: This can't be true ... no local security on UI7/Vera Edge???
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 06:46:15 pm »
I've just noticed the "tick" for "Secure My Vera" is GREY... I'm thinking that might mean something is not quite right, as I'm sure Vera ticks are normally GREEN.

My gut tells me clicking it will turn it off, as tick boxes are normally empty if off and ticked if on.  However, on the other hand Vera does some incredibly stupid things... so it wouldn't surprise me if a ticked tick box is not actually a ticked tick box, but rather the colour of it is what matters.

I won't touch it yet until I hear some feedback, but hopefully it might mean I have no security on at the moment and thus this is easily fixable...

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 07:49:37 pm »
My router provides for a separate "guest" connection with no access to my local network including printers, servers, cameras, and Vera.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 08:13:38 pm »
My router provides for a separate "guest" connection with no access to my local network including printers, servers, cameras, and Vera.

That's true, I've got them on an isolated network, but still... not like there haven't been an immense number of flaws with WiFi over the years, I don't consider my WiFi network (at either home) to be secure.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 05:45:52 am »
@Tillsy

Secure My Vera box will has a green mark if checked and will disable local access to your Vera unit.

This box will be enabled by default with the upcoming firmware.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 06:20:00 am »
@Tillsy

Secure My Vera box will has a green mark if checked and will disable local access to your Vera unit.

This box will be enabled by default with the upcoming firmware.
Great news thanks Sorin, that explains it then.  Bit confusing that an unticked option actually has a tick there, maybe can be fixed in a future release?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 12:41:37 pm »
Great news thanks Sorin, that explains it then.  Bit confusing that an unticked option actually has a tick there, maybe can be fixed in a future release?

Not sure what part needs to be fixed? Says secure my vera....... You put a check and it locks out local use, which means it secures it with a check. It should not be backwards.

Also it should be noted that checking the secure my vera box, blocks local access and requires you to sign in threw vera's server to check your credentials. If your internet or vera's servers are down you are locked out since there is no longer local access and no web access. This makes your vera full dependent on veras servers and internet. 

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 04:37:08 pm »
Not sure what part needs to be fixed? Says secure my vera....... You put a check and it locks out local use, which means it secures it with a check. It should not be backwards.

Let me reword that for you :)

"Says secure my vera....... There is already a check there, but that does not mean it is checked.  You must check it again, even though it is already checked, so the check is a different colour check."

On any other operating system/GUI a grey check means it is already on but you can't change it - an empty check means it if off and a black or coloured check means it is on.

For Vera a grey check instead means it isn't even checked, even though it is, AND you CAN click it - talk about bad GUI design.  Clicking that already checked check, even though it is greyed out, then becomes a green check and that means on.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 06:20:47 pm »
Let me reword that for you :)

"Says secure my vera....... There is already a check there, but that does not mean it is checked.  You must check it again, even though it is already checked, so the check is a different colour check."

Got it. Attached an image to give Vera an Idea of how it should look in that case.