We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Primary Vera - Secondary Harmony 890Pro - HowTo  (Read 56667 times)

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
Re: Primary Vera - Secondary Harmony 890Pro - HowTo
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 01:35:49 pm »
@mbairhead. if you follow the instructions at the bottom of the wiki page on the subject, you should be safe to add more devices.  As for scenes, it is as easy as you describe.  Both of these activities (adding devices and scenes) should be safe, meaning you shouldn't lose any of your device mappings.

I update my harmonies every time I add a node to my vera, or anytime I optimize my network.
Vera1 (1.1142), Vera2 (1.1182), VRI06 (12), VRS15 (3), VRS05 (2), VRF01 (2), VRCS4 (2), ZRW113, ZRF113 (2), 45602, 45603, TZMT400 (2), FE599 (2), 99100, Thinkstick, Harmony 890Pro (2), Harmony RF Extender, Nevo S70, Nevo NC-50, Minimote, SQ Remote, SQ Blaster, EtherRain-8, Cliste ActiveRFID, TED5002

Offline mbairhead

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 02:26:35 pm »
Fantastic. I will play with it a little more to get comfortable with it but so far it's great.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR FIGURING THIS OUT!

Two quick questions:
Would you be willing to update the wiki (and possibly editing this post) with verbiage differences between the two remotes? I will send them to you if it helps.

&

Is it possible to get it to use any of my Vera scenes (I know, I'm asking a lot but if you don't ask.....)?

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 02:42:08 pm »
I'd prefer if you could just add to the bottom of the wiki page.  I don't have a Monster, so I can't confirm anything on it.  No problem on the wiki, and post.  I'm glad it finally worked for you.  It is a finicky process, I know - but when it's all done, I think you'll agree, the Harmony/Monster has about a 99% reliability for any devices it can control, and response is usually immediate.
Vera1 (1.1142), Vera2 (1.1182), VRI06 (12), VRS15 (3), VRS05 (2), VRF01 (2), VRCS4 (2), ZRW113, ZRF113 (2), 45602, 45603, TZMT400 (2), FE599 (2), 99100, Thinkstick, Harmony 890Pro (2), Harmony RF Extender, Nevo S70, Nevo NC-50, Minimote, SQ Remote, SQ Blaster, EtherRain-8, Cliste ActiveRFID, TED5002

Offline ruster34

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 11:24:24 am »
I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!

I know, that seems dumb but after trying countless times and accidentally killing almost every switch on my middle floor (causing a series of scene nightmares) I decided to try one more time before tossing my Monster remote out.

It's set up almost exactly like I'd like it except I'd like to update a couple of the scenes and I'd like to add a couple scenes to it. Can I simply open the software, create/modify scenes, plug the remote in and update the software? I also forgot to add two switches that I'd like to have, is that still possible? I'm not brave enough to chance it at this point, without asking first.

I'm at exactly the same point you were.  I have added the avl300 several times and when vera loads back up (or refreshes when adding controller option), the "new device" box displays, then disappears. 

I've added 2 devices (recept and toggle wall switch) successfully, and can control them with the remote.  However, the remote still does NOT appear in Vera's dashboard.

Any clues??

Offline mbairhead

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 07:58:56 am »
I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!!

I know, that seems dumb but after trying countless times and accidentally killing almost every switch on my middle floor (causing a series of scene nightmares) I decided to try one more time before tossing my Monster remote out.

It's set up almost exactly like I'd like it except I'd like to update a couple of the scenes and I'd like to add a couple scenes to it. Can I simply open the software, create/modify scenes, plug the remote in and update the software? I also forgot to add two switches that I'd like to have, is that still possible? I'm not brave enough to chance it at this point, without asking first.

I'm at exactly the same point you were.  I have added the avl300 several times and when vera loads back up (or refreshes when adding controller option), the "new device" box displays, then disappears. 

I've added 2 devices (recept and toggle wall switch) successfully, and can control them with the remote.  However, the remote still does NOT appear in Vera's dashboard.

Any clues??
It still doesn't appear in mine but the remote works fine.

Offline ruster34

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 02:10:25 pm »
Ok, good news then.  Irritating none the less, but good news.

Are we able to have commands on the remote (i.e. watch movie/play/etc) trigger scenes created in Vera?

I don't want to have to duplicate everything I've already set up (and use sometimes with my HTC Incredible or wife's iTouch) just for the AVL300 to trigger them.

if any one has got this figured out, and is so inclined, give me a call to walk me through it....  :-)

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 01:45:43 am »
So I bought an Monster AVL300. It was pretty darn cheap under 70 bucks. I have and owned other Harmony remotes. I use to own the Harmony 880 so I know what to expect for the 890 line of remotes. I finally got the AVL300 setup with vera. I followed the instructions posted (thanks woodsby for the instructions). I did run into an issue that a few others were having. When pairing the remote with Vera (running ui4) I could not for the life of me get the remote to show up on the web page. I thought I was running into issues. The extender showed up fine. But the remote would not. I spent a few wasted hours trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I should have read more into the thread before wasting those hours to just see if I could add the lights I wanted to control with the remote. After Vera would pair with the remote and the remote saying it is now the primary controller, I took the remote and loaded up the pairing mode and paired the one light switch to the remote. Finally some success. I got the remote to now control the light and Vera still being the primary controller. I did notice something weird. I hope others confirm this. When I added the light to the remote, Vera decided to reset the light device on the page. I had to rename the light and put it back into the proper room. Did anyone else have this issue? I also had to re-add the light back to a few scenes. Is this normal for this to happen?

Also a question for other AVL300 owners. Do you find the screen to be washed out and hard to see? I not sure if I had this same issue with the Harmony 880. I know the lcd screens they used with these type of remotes were not greatest in the world. Just wanted to know if I have a defective remote with a bad lcd screen. My dad wanted to be able to control a few lights in his home theater room with out going fully automated like my house. I told him to pick up the remote as he can also control the rest of his AV gear as well. For the price of these remotes now, they can not be beat.

Another question to ask, is there a way to modify the light devices buttons? For example, when I click on to control an individual light from the remote, I see on, off, adjust level, adjust level, bright and dark. Can I modify these buttons? I can not get it to adjust the dimmer switch to the level I want from the remote. Am I doing something wrong? The dimmer switch I am trying to control is a leviton switch.

- Garrett

Offline nwrunner

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 03:40:18 pm »
I recently bought an AVL 300 and had the exact same experience with a few devices losing their name and room associations.  Thank you for posting your experience because I may not have noticed these few in the clutter of other devices and deleted them thinking they were random scenes or old device ghosts.

I have not been able to figure out how to customize the z wave device menus like you are able to do with AV control.  I would also like to be able to reorder the z wave devices and AV devices on the main menu and haven't figured out how, the z wave devices sort by order of the sequence added, so it would be necessary to decide my priority of what I use most often and pair that to the monster LAST for it to appear at the top of the screen.  The AV devices seem to re-order based on when you last modified the programming.

I don't care for the ergonomics of the avl 300 and already have regular harmony 880/890's.  I would like an 890 pro because of the superior design, but I don't know if I can mix them in the same network - I know you can have 2 890P's and I'm sure 2 AVL's, but I don't know about a mix??

Offline raskell

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 04:22:08 pm »
I have the Harmony 1100 for which the box states supports z-wave with the wireless extender.  Anyone out there tried this process with the 1100?  Harmony's documentation is non-existent regarding z-wave instructions and the tech support line was clueless.
Vera2, UI4, Trane/Schlage TStats(6), Schlage LeverLock, GE 3-wayswitches, WD HA14 3-way dimmers, Intermatic Outdoor Module, Hawking door/window sensor(s), VeraLite UI5, Everspring SM-103

Offline iflyM3

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 06:32:35 pm »
@raskell

Logitech dumped all Z Wave support after the 890Pro, that includes the 1100 as well.  Logitech stated that they were going to support Z Wave in the future with the 1100 but never followed through and since then has dumped all support for Z Wave.  The 890Pro is the last of its kind from Logitech and is the only remote from Logitech that fully supports Z Wave.  

Oh, and by supporting Z Wave with the 1100 what logitech means is the Z Wave communication they use to communicate with the RF Extender.  Thats about it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:36:52 pm by iflym3 »
Vera 2 UI5 (1.5.622)... and too many Z-Wave/Ethernet/Wi-Fi devices to list.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 08:33:23 pm »
I have not been able to figure out how to customize the z wave device menus like you are able to do with AV control.  I would also like to be able to reorder the z wave devices
I believe the Z-Wave devices are alphabetized. I prepend the names with a number, to manipulate the order in which they show up. There is no other customization.

I don't care for the ergonomics of the avl 300 and already have regular harmony 880/890's.  I would like an 890 pro because of the superior design, but I don't know if I can mix them in the same network - I know you can have 2 890P's and I'm sure 2 AVL's, but I don't know about a mix??
With Logitech's Z-Wave implementation (and subsequent departure from the Z-Wave scene) I'm not sure if an 890 and an AVL can talk to the same extender and control your A/V. IF everything had been compliant it should have been no issue. If you mean controlling your Z-Wave devices from both an 890 and an AVL, then that should work if you manage to make them both secondary controllers.

You'll have to install both the Harmony and Monster SW and have 2 different accounts.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline iflyM3

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2011, 08:56:59 pm »
quick question if anyone could answer this it sure would be good to know! lol.

What is the point exactly with having the Harmony 890 Pro as a secondary controller in Vera?  I have this setup as well.  In Vera2 I cannot use the 890Pro for anything, it just kind of sits there.  I cant use the 890Pro to trigger scenes or use the 890Pro 'through' Vera to turn any A/V device on.  I just don't see the point or usefulness.  Perhaps, I am missing something. idk.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 09:08:00 pm »
@iflym3

Control Z-Wave devices from both the 890Pro / AVL300 and Vera (and any other secondary controller for that matter).

Like the lighting in your home theater, for example.

Offline iflyM3

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 09:11:17 pm »
hmm, yes that makes sense because only one controller can control a particular Z Wave device. If I hadnt configured the 890Pro as a secondary then only Vera Or the 890Pro would be able to control a particular Z Wave device.  That makes sense.  Thank you. I wish that there was a way that Vera could use the 890Pro or the RF extender to fire of some commands to my A/V equipment.  That would be nice.  lol.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:12:52 pm by iflym3 »

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 09:22:05 pm »
[...]If I hadnt configured the 890Pro as a secondary then only Vera Or the 890Pro would be able to control a particular Z Wave device.
That's exactly it! Any secondary controller gets its network information from the primary. Either controller can then talk to the devices.

I wish that there was a way that Vera could use the 890Pro or the RF extender to fire of some commands to my A/V equipment. That would be nice.  lol.
Yep. That would have been nice.