We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: 1 in wall relay switch for an entire room?  (Read 699 times)

Offline Ratshovel

1 in wall relay switch for an entire room?
« on: February 20, 2015, 08:05:39 am »
Sorry. New to the game here.

I'm building a house with an off-grid solar system and to make the house energy efficient I thought to use a z-wave system to shut down lights and power points though out the house at the end of the day and back on again in the morning. My thoughts then went to how many in wall relay switches I need. Obviously some power point wont be shut down but the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms and offices could be shut down completely to stop standby power drain over night.

So my question is could i use one switch for an entire room instead of one behind every powerpoint? Is there any need to keep the relay switch close to the GPO?
Could I then do the same for the lighting circuit?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: 1 in wall relay switch for an entire room?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:35:54 am »
The switches are constrained by the load. If the room is 15 or 20 amps, then it can certainly be controlled by a single switch or relay.

I don't know what a "GPO" is.

Offline Ratshovel

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:49:19 am »
GPO is an Australian term for a powerpoint...  I thinks its short for General Power Outlet....

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 02:11:01 pm »
 You would really need to discuss this with your electrician as the wiring run when they rough it in would need to take this into account as you may need multiple runs to achieve your desired outcomes.