We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Flash UI Orientation  (Read 16762 times)

Offline micasaverde

Flash UI Orientation
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:27:40 pm »
As announced in the Official announcements board, the new flash-based UI we demonstrated at CES is available for preview by interested beta testers.

Our goals with the new UI were: 1) Make it look prettier and more polished, 2) Make it simpler and more intuitive, 3) Make it extensible so third party developers of Luup plugins can create their own user interfaces for their own device types.  For example, a developer can make a Yahoo Weather plugin which shows up as an icon on your desktop which shows an icon for the weather prediction (cloudy, rainy, etc.) and the forecasted high and low, and when you click the icon, it gives you options and controls for the plugin.

The first major change is there is no longer a dashboard and a setup mode.  Now it's just one mode which shows all your devices graphically in a layout similar to google maps, which you can pan and zoom.  The setup options are in a toolbar on the right side of the screen, and each option is an icon which brings up a popup control.

There is also a universal 'Add' button in the upper left, to add anything: Room, Scene, Device (ZWave, Insteon, IR, etc).  You no longer have separate places to add different types of devices.  Also, 'Remove' a device/scene/plugin is now standardized too.  Click the icon for whatever you want to remove and click the delete button.

The Luup plugins are now called MIOS Market, and each plugin is an icon in the panel at the bottom, and each plugin can have it's own UI, though, at the moment, most don't.

The concept of 'unassigned devices' is now gone.  You no longer have to create rooms and put devices in them.  If you don't have any rooms, all your devices appear in a window in the middle of the desktop marked 'devices'.  If you do add rooms, the rooms appear in the middle of the desktop, and the devices window turns into a collapsible popout in the upper, right corner of the screen.  Just drag the devices from that popout and position them in the room you want.  You can now position devices in the room where you want so it looks more like a floorplan.  If you've got too many rooms on the screen, choose Add, Section, so you can divide your home into sections.  Choose 'In' from the upper left to choose the active section, and then Add, room to add rooms to it.  You can move a device between rooms on different sections by selecting the first section with the device, dragging the device (or scene) back into the devices panel in the upper right, then selecting the new section, and dragging the device where it belongs.

Note that in the new UI everything is an icon, and every icon has a popup window with it's controls or settings.  Every popup window has a help button.  To quickly turn on or off device with opening the popup window, or to quickly run a scene without opening the popup window, click the little 'on/off' button next to the device or scene icon.  There's an online user's manual available here: http://micasaverde.com/vera2docs  and the help icons throughout the UI take you to the appropriate section in the user's manual.

If you have any feedback, questions or suggestions with the new UI, please create a topic in this "UI Discussion" forum.  Note that we aware the UI is a CPU hog and is sluggish on slow machines; we're working to improve the performance.  Also, we're updating the icons so that they better show the current status without having to open the icon's popup window; for example the thermostat icon will have the current temperature and setting built into the icon.

Offline Mark H.

• Global Moderator
Re: Flash UI Orientation
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:02:25 pm »
A GIANT step in the right direction. Good job.
Vera 2
Firmware: 1.5.101 Zwave: 3.20

Offline denix

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:06:00 pm »
Thanks! It is promising, but very unusual...
Veras (1, 2, 3, Lite, Plus), lots of different Z-Wave modules, Luup plugins and theater/security integration.

Offline myhomeserver

• http://www.MyZwave.net
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:08:58 pm »
I like the layout but I do find that visually observing the High Temp, Low Temp, Current Sensor temp and Basement temp on my Fortrezz isnt great.  I do see you plan on adding these into the Icons.  I also really wish that you guys would fix the FindVera Mobile and Basic interface to show these temps, light levels, etc from our devices that have this capability. I really feel that this is critical in moving forward with all the folks going mobile.  

I also have a scene isnt showing the commands when I try to edit it....Yet, when I click RUN SCENE it does what it supposed to.  It has some Luup code in there but that also doesnt show.  Delete it and readd?  

Id also like to make a room BIGGER...can this be done?
MyZWave.net - See Our Z-Wave product Reviews
(formerly MyHomeServer)

Offline TheGadgetGuy

• Technology Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:22:09 pm »
I have been trying to figure out how to add another Panasonic IP camera to the new interface.  The camera is on my Ethernet network already. I just need to tell MIOS (Vera) about it. 

I already have 3 cameras installed and working, which were carried over from the previous version of the interface.

How exactly do I add another camera? I see no logical way to accomplish this.

Thanks.
"Lots of Z wave switches by various companies", 8 Panasonic IP cameras, 4 Schlage locks, 2 Kwikset locks, 3 Z-wave thermometers, 2 5 button Cooper scene controllers, etc.

Offline myhomeserver

• http://www.MyZwave.net
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:23:43 pm »
When I add one on my Vera .979 firmware (pre MIOS) I had to "delete" the plugin and install it again.  it said it would delete all instances made by the plugin but didnt.  I just did it today to add a 7th cam
MyZWave.net - See Our Z-Wave product Reviews
(formerly MyHomeServer)

mcvovidiu

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 07:39:23 am »
Hello all,

@myhomeserver: You can resize the room from the right and bottom side of the room. If you want to see the commands, you have to choose the room the device is in. For the mobile part, we have the native iPhone application, one for Blackberry/java capable phones and we will have one for Android. Also, the mobile web interface will still remain a plugin for Vera, but not sure how much development we will put into that. That doesn't mean there won't be improvements. As the first post said, we will modify the Icons for some of the devices to show the actual state and infos in the Icon. Soon.

@TheGadgetGuy: Click the Mios Marketplace, then click on the ip camera plugin and "Create another". This will create another instance of the plugin which you can configure.

Any other question, suggestion, complain are welcomed, will help us improve. We already are on the right path for the CPU load.

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:22:37 am »
...For the mobile part, we have the native iPhone application...
Is there any update on when the native iPhone app will be submitted to Apple for review?

mcvovidiu

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 09:47:20 am »
I think it was already. The guys from SQ knows for sure.

Offline jgc94131

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 01:44:28 pm »
Just attempted an upgrade from 0.979

Updated firmware, Shift-reloaded, and now vera is
stuck in "Loading local database..."

Going back to 0.979
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:46:01 pm by jgc94131 »

mcvovidiu

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 02:58:57 pm »
Instructions to clear the browser's cache http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Clear_Browser_Cache

Offline Gwumm

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:19 pm »
Any other question, suggestion, complain are welcomed, will help us improve. We already are on the right path for the CPU load.

This UI is a great step forward. I'm loving the concept and can't wait to see what's to come :)

Some suggestions/questions/problems:
a) Are the device ICONS changable? I can't seem to find a way to change the picture of them, for example; A Light Bulb icon, is my TV.

b) In my opinion, the single click/touch method for turning on devices should be the entire icon, rather then the little on/off button, so to support touch screens/fat fingers. Properties access to the device could be obtained by an 'overall' properties button from the menu, or a small icon next to it.
In addition to this, you could have press and hold for lighting dimness.

c) Sometimes the icons for on items, are off - i.e. As mentioned in a), my TV is pictured as a Light Bulb... my Sound system is also, and right now when both devices are on, the icons sporadicly off, however not always. The same problem occurs for Lighting Appliances with Dimmable capabilities.
The problem does not occur from the iPhone web access, accessing the same/old Mobile web interface.

d) Also there is often a delay when attempting to power on a device. This doesn't occur from the iPhone Web based version.

e) Please allow for visible labels under the icons, so to simply see which icon is which. In some cases I can imagine people wouldn't want this, so an option to have them or not would be fantastic.

f) The 'refresh' of the screen, which appears to occur every 10 seconds or so is really annoying. If we were using it on a touch screen as a management console, it would look fairly average. In addition to this, if I'm trying to relocate the device icons, and a refresh occurs, it resets the device location.

Overall, it's looking great! - Cheers,
- Gwumm

Offline huwu

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 03:30:34 am »
I'm not that sure if this is really a "giant step forward".

Outlining my house floor by floor ends up with icons that are to small to push the little button on the left side while some rooms are to small to gather all devices and scenes.

After opening Vera's URL I always see just a part of the floor. Resizing it to fullscreen sometimes disarranges some of the devices or scenes. They are than in other rooms.

For my perspective I wished the team would have worked more on the promise "everything works" and brought in the missing device classes instead of creating a new GUI that may looks nicer but does not resolve known issues.

huwu
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:39:39 am by huwu »
My Z-Wave:Vera3, VeraEdge, 4*Dimmer, 14*RollerShutter, 4*PlugIn,9*Binary, 8*SmokeSensor, 2*Remote, 1*Siren, 1*RangeExtender, 1*Sensor, 1*BatterySwitch. Devices from:Duewi, Merten, HomePro, Trickle, Everspring, Fibaro, Aeon, Vision and MiCasa Verde

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 10:50:57 am »
I'll have to ditto Huwu, I love the product and appreciate all the efforts to improve, I'm certainly rooting for the MCV team,  but at the end of the day resources should be put first to making basic functions available and reliable, seems each "upgrade" improves some things and leaves others which previously worked broken, overall an upward trajectory (I hope) but leaves many frustrated users in it's wake
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline twerdahl

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 02:42:46 am »
Our goals with the new UI were: 1) Make it look prettier and more polished, 2) Make it simpler and more intuitive, 3) Make it extensible so third party developers of Luup plugins can create their own user interfaces for their own device types. 

Scorecard
Goal 1: Missed
Goal 2: Missed
Goal 3: Inconclusive