We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Z-wave bulbs  (Read 9016 times)

Offline tomgru

Re: Z-wave bulbs
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 09:56:20 am »
I also vote for the z-wave switch vs. a bulb. But maybe a single table lamp that has no switch might be ok. I actually have only one table lamp in the house and I put a 35.00 z-wave outlet there and PLEG so when the ceiling fan it turned on/off/on it turns on the table lamp.

My ceiling fans also have 4 blubs in each one. The rest of the rooms have can lights witch have 4-6 bulbs in each. The garage or outside lights all are atleast 2 pairs. With Lowe's GE switches at 35.00 plus 10.00 off 50.00 coupon your getting them around 30.00 a switch. 2 bulbs gonna cost that. 

Ah... your situation makes sense then.  funny, i hate can lights, and use mostly lamps in my house... i like the ambience better.  So much so that i rarely replace wall switches with Zwave versions ... I've only really done this for hallways, etc.

So... with lamps.. i need a dimmer module for each lamp.  So, for example, in my family room, i have 4 lamps... at $40+ each.. i'm looking at $160 or more.  With the bulbs, could do it for $60.

Here in California I would bet all new houses have Can lights, expect for maybe some bedrooms. Lamps here go with curtains and popcorn ceilings.

:)

Offline NickTheGreat

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 11:41:15 am »
I also vote for the z-wave switch vs. a bulb. But maybe a single table lamp that has no switch might be ok. I actually have only one table lamp in the house and I put a 35.00 z-wave outlet there and PLEG so when the ceiling fan it turned on/off/on it turns on the table lamp.

My ceiling fans also have 4 blubs in each one. The rest of the rooms have can lights witch have 4-6 bulbs in each. The garage or outside lights all are atleast 2 pairs. With Lowe's GE switches at 35.00 plus 10.00 off 50.00 coupon your getting them around 30.00 a switch. 2 bulbs gonna cost that. 

Ah... your situation makes sense then.  funny, i hate can lights, and use mostly lamps in my house... i like the ambience better.  So much so that i rarely replace wall switches with Zwave versions ... I've only really done this for hallways, etc.

So... with lamps.. i need a dimmer module for each lamp.  So, for example, in my family room, i have 4 lamps... at $40+ each.. i'm looking at $160 or more.  With the bulbs, could do it for $60.

Same here.  Our living room has 3 or 4 lamps, and using the bulbs is cheaper than using 3 or 4 lamp mods.

Other rooms I have a switch hitting multiple lights, and "smart bulbs" would be a terrible idea. 

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 02:12:41 pm »
Here in California I would bet all new houses have Can lights, expect for maybe some bedrooms. Lamps here go with curtains and popcorn ceilings.
What replaced curtains?

Offline aa6vh

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 03:42:15 pm »
Exhibitionism.

Offline TC1

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 03:43:00 pm »
What replaced curtains?

In my recently renovated house (beachside in NY) it's wood blinds.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 05:03:35 pm »
What replaced curtains?

Shutters and blinds mostly

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 05:25:24 pm »
What replaced curtains?

Exhibitionism.
Well, Ok. Sure.  8)

Shutters and blinds mostly
I do see a lot of shutters, now that you mention it.

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 05:51:21 pm »

Spoil your view, do they?  ;)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 07:43:33 pm »

Spoil your view, do they?  ;)

Ahahaha here in the big city your view is about 3ft of property, a wall that's to short, 3 more feet of property and the window of the house next to you..... LOL

Offline tomgru

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 11:38:42 pm »
I'm still stuck on "beachside in NY".   (stuck = jealous)  :o

Offline TC1

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 10:44:22 am »
I'm still stuck on "beachside in NY".   (stuck = jealous)  :o

Don't be, especially after a superstorm puts the entire barrier island underwater and destroys your living conditions. The price one pays for living in paradise. Many folks here still haven't recovered, more than two years later. The episode that was on CBS 60 Minutes this past Sunday featured my town.

Offline NickTheGreat

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 11:04:30 am »
What replaced curtains?

My house (1994) was all the oak and brass.  A lot of wood blinds too.  I thought that it was dated.  Maybe i'll leave the blinds  ;D

Offline TC1

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 11:18:22 am »
What replaced curtains?

My house (1994) was all the oak and brass.  A lot of wood blinds too.  I thought that it was dated.  Maybe i'll leave the blinds  ;D

Have you priced "real" wood blinds lately? very expensive. We got the faux wood white ones.

Just get rid of the brass  ;D

Offline NickTheGreat

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 11:53:35 am »
What replaced curtains?

Have you priced "real" wood blinds lately? very expensive. We got the faux wood white ones.

Just get rid of the brass  ;D

Oh I have.  AND the wallpaper  :-X

I actually don't mind the wood ones, and they're just in a few rooms  :(

Offline goethesf

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 10:57:01 am »
Hi ...

I just bought a LinearLinc Z-Wave bulb on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/LinearLinc-LB60Z-1-Z-Wave-Light-Bulb/dp/B00PJH16UC/.

One comment on the discussion from an in-wall controllable outlet vs a smart bulb. I'm probably going to go for both. I like having control over all outlets in my house, but for the bulb I like being able to dim the bulb. What I don't know are how the logistics will work out. I'm inclined to control the outlets for my "away' mode, ensuring no voltage is flowing to appliances when I'm out. When I'm in, I turn on all outlets and just control the bulbs as desired.

That's how I'm thinking this will workout and to be honest, the most fun part is not knowing and playing!

Cheers,
goethesf