We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Simple way of implementing "AND" in Scenes  (Read 2098 times)

Offline nickrwym

Simple way of implementing "AND" in Scenes
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:04:36 pm »
Hi

Having used Vera for a couple of weeks now and got some sense out of her I have thought of a way that an "and" function could be implemented in the "scenes" interface in a natural way to use.

At the moment you have an events tab and a timers tab, in this case the events and the timers are an "or" function.

Scrap this, make timers just "another sort of event" and get them to come up on the events tab the way any other event does.

Have at least 3, preferably 4 event tabs, called Event 1, Event 2, Event 3, Event 4. These have an "and" relationship between them.

For a simple "or" event or a "1 action event" just use event 1. Set your actions in the normal way

If it's to trigger on "motion sensor" or "time" just set 2 events under event 1 the way you can now.

If you want something to happen on motion sensor but only at a certain time then put motion sensor as event 1 and time as event 2, instant "and function" in a natural to use way.

While playing with the timer another option is needed of "between 2 times". You can then say event 1 is motion sensor and event 2 "between 9am and 5pm".

Using multiple event tabs in this way will make a very easy to understand interface, moving the timers onto the event tab as "just another sort of event" will free up the space and make things more logical.

MCV, please give this some thought, it would make what I want to do a LOT easier.

Nick

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
Re: Simple way of implementing "AND" in Scenes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:12:12 am »
Hi nickrwym,

This is a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. AND between events/timer is a feature that has been requested for a long time, so adding it is a matter of when rather than if. However, I don't think that this feature will be added before a stable, rock-solid UI5 firmware will be released.

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 01:26:46 pm »
And between tabs and or within tabs makes it very intuitive, it would be good if someone implemented it.

A "between" option for timers would be excellent too.

I have now got some Luup code running successfully that is achieving the heating control I wanted to get going, I'll refine it a bit and then see if I can work out how to post it to the code wiki.

Nick

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:12:22 pm »
Indigo's latest is the most flexible I've seen, without being overly complex from a UI standpoint (and without imposing arbitrary OR, AND combinations):

http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/wiki/doku.php?id=indigo_5_documentation:overview#conditions

There are several screenshots going from simple expressions to compound ones, mostly with DnD.