Author Topic: Altsteon working on UI7  (Read 12120 times)

Offline ibrewster

Re: Altsteon working on UI7
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 08:08:14 pm »
I think you figured out the problem!!  I bet I need to link the PLM to the Sensor. The PLM talks to the sensor, but not vice versa.   I have been searching and I can't find any documentation to do that.  How do I perform the PLM>sensor linking?

thanks

Bill
While I can't speak to your device specifically, my impression of insteon in general is that the process is to a) press and hold the set button on the controller (sensor, in your case) device for about three seconds until it beeps (assuming it has a beeper, if not there may be some light flashes or other indicator), then b) press and hold the set button on the responder (PLM in your case) for three seconds or so until *it* beeps. Depending on the device, however, there may be other steps. For example with my KeypadLincs, you also had to hold down the button you wanted to use as the controller. With a simple sensor, I would imagine there would just be the one set button to deal with, but that should be detailed in the documentation.

Offline BillC

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 02:28:29 pm »
 ;D ;D
That did it!!!!
Now I have all three leak sensors working.  It was a pain and a lot of trial and error (ok mostly error) but with all the help from  you guys I got it working

Thanks so much to everyone who helped.  I would have never gotten it running with the help

Bill

Offline BillC

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2016, 06:35:56 pm »
Ok, got the sensors and lamp modules working.  I have one more question (for now  ;D).  The keypadlinc's are puzzling me now.  I found the instructions for adding the device to the GUI, but I can't figure how to "reverse link(or whatever you call it)" the keypadlinc to the PLM.  There is no "pairing" button - only the on/off/dim buttons, so how do I link the whole keypadlinc to the PLM?

thanks

Bill

Offline ibrewster

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2016, 08:51:36 pm »
The keypadlinc's are puzzling me now.  I found the instructions for adding the device to the GUI, but I can't figure how to "reverse link(or whatever you call it)" the keypadlinc to the PLM.  There is no "pairing" button - only the on/off/dim buttons, so how do I link the whole keypadlinc to the PLM?

thanks

Bill

Take a look at the keypadLinc Manual (https://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2487s.pdf is one place to find it), specifically the section titled "Add KeypadLinc Button to a Scene as a Controller". You'll need to run through the procedure for each and every button, so it's a bit tedious. Note that it doesn't matter if the button is already a controller for something else, like a light - the procedure is the same. Also, you can skip step 3, since the responder is the PLM and doesn't have any state to worry about.

Offline Scoutmedic

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 12:45:58 pm »
Hey Tank, I have a few Insteon fanlincs and KPLs I'd like to add to my system, but have no experience with programming/setting up RPis/etc. A few questions...

Can I just load Alsteon on my Vera Edge with UI7 as it was done in the sticky post? Will it still work?

The ISY994i is A LOT more expensive than the PLM/RPi route, but is it worth it?

How would I set up the RPi to get it ready for Alsteon? Is it pretty straight forward? I've done some PC builds/Windows installs. Is it pretty much the same?

Offline hax0rmort

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 01:29:19 am »
Hey Tank, I have a few Insteon fanlincs and KPLs I'd like to add to my system, but have no experience with programming/setting up RPis/etc. A few questions...

Can I just load Alsteon on my Vera Edge with UI7 as it was done in the sticky post? Will it still work?

The ISY994i is A LOT more expensive than the PLM/RPi route, but is it worth it?

How would I set up the RPi to get it ready for Alsteon? Is it pretty straight forward? I've done some PC builds/Windows installs. Is it pretty much the same?

Yes,  Altsteon will work on UI7.  Confirmed on Lite/Edge/Plus.   altsteon0.08 binary.      I cannot answer your other questions, I just know there is support in altsteon for the devices you have.  Good luck.   Post back a new thread if you need to get started.

Offline hax0rmort

firmware 1.7.1975
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 05:32:04 am »
Successfully got altsteon up and working fully with the latest version: 1.7.1975

Offline agoldsto

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2016, 07:57:23 pm »
I finally got altsteon successfully running on my RPI and I can control my FanLinc using commands on the RPI.  I'm having trouble integrating this into Vera/UI7. 

I've uploaded all the files from sourceforge and created the devices for my PLM and FanLinc as instructed. 

I see the newly created devices in my device list, but theres no options to control my fan. What am I missing?

Offline slodrew

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2016, 02:50:19 pm »

I see the newly created devices in my device list, but theres no options to control my fan. What am I missing?

I have the same issue. I can control the fanlinc from ssh, but the control section of the fanlinc in the Vera GUI is blank. There is a placeholder, but no controls.

I am running this on a Veralite.

Offline topher1086

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2017, 10:55:44 pm »
I've been using Altsteon on my Vera Lite for a few years now.  I'm trying to move it to a Ubuntu VM (16.04 Xenial) running on my Windows 7 PC with VMware Workstation.  I've followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread and I'm having trouble.  I can telnet to the IP of the VM via port 9805 and it connects.  However, if I try to type anything after that, the telnet session closes.  I used tcptrack and can see the connection pop up, but immediately closes.  The Vera connection pops up the same way.  The firewall is disabled on both the VM and the Win 7 machine.

I'm running the daemon with "sudo altsteon-code/altsteon-daemon/src/altsteon -r"
It appears to be starting up fine.  This is logged after starting it. (I replaced the XXs). "PLM is devcat 3, subcat 21, address XX.XX.XX running software rev. 158."

I feel like this is a simple fix, but I'm missing something.

Offline topher1086

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2017, 04:28:04 pm »
I figured this out.  There must be something with the newer version of Ubuntu and the Altsteon code, or it's an issue compiling and running everything under a user other than root.  I ended up downloading the 12.04.5 32-bit server version of Ubuntu.  I enabled the root account and ran everything under it.  Then everything worked as intended.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2017, 10:46:33 pm »
Would it be possible to get binaries and/or instructions to build the daemon for a VeraEdge?

Thanks!

I found what I think is the binaries here but I'm not sure how to compile them. I don't have an rPi nor a Linux VM. I'm using a VeraPlus with UI7, BTW.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2017, 03:22:27 pm »
OK, thanks - that clears that up, but where is the best place for the best instructions and code?
 I have found several places with old code with conflicting instructions   and dead/outdated links

Bill
As far as install instructions, I always just turn to the instructions included with the distribution in the "Vera Files" folder - the altsteon_instructions.txt file. They are (to my mind at least) well written, and fairly comprehensive. Of course, I've done the install several times, so generally I just have to look for a quick refresher, but I don't recall any major problems following those instructions the first time.

As far as links/code, there are two places that I look. The first is https://sourceforge.net/projects/altsteon/, just click the green "download" button to get the code/binaries/directions. This gives the original "0.08" release, which is what I run. Then there is https://sourceforge.net/projects/altsteon2/, where the green download button just gets you the Vera Files directory, not the binaries. That's fine, though, since for me at least all I used from that distribution was the FanLink files from that directory. Either download will get you the instructions.txt file.

If you do want to try just running altsteon2, you can get the binaries from that project by going over to the code tab of that second link, where you can also get source code for building the binaries yourself. Personally, I wouldn't bother :-)

Are better instructions on compiling this from source to use in the Vera available someplace for those not using Linux ?