We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New UI: A Giant step - In the wrong direction  (Read 16020 times)

Offline Jacobly

Re: New UI: A Giant step - In the wrong direction
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 04:12:50 pm »
Link?
Z-Wave enthusiast

Offline mhn

Offline ryates

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 04:46:05 pm »
Frankly, my biggest concern is that this UI is Flash-based.  Although Flash may have seemed like a compelling choice at first, many UI developers are moving away from Flash as a dependency because of slow performance, buggy implementations on some platforms (Mac and Linux), lack of implementation on iPhone/iTouch/iPad, and finally a shorter shelf-life for code compatibility as compared to HTML/JavaScript.  I'm really shocked to see someone take a fairly sophisticated Ajax interface and go the other way.  There is a war going on against Flash and the first companies to lead the charge are Apple, Google, and Microsoft.  Not a force to be reckoned with.

Say what you will about Apple not supporting Flash on their portable devices, but these devices make perfect remote controls/panels and Vera relying on third-parties to build native interfaces for such devices is a bit short-sighted.  Whether the third-party native interface developers head in an undesirable direction or simply go out of business entirely, the folks that lose out are Vera customers.

Sorry for the rant, but given that almost every device now has an HTML web browser built-in (and not necessarily Flash support), this seems like an odd move.  Note that I'm not trying to be critical of the MCV team.  I know first-hand how frustrating it is to roll out a shiny new product and it isn't received well. 

-Rob

Offline far182

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »
In my opinion, a really strong home automation management server (vera and the like) shouldn't require going into the administrative interface for long long periods of time.  For example, I bought Homevision (like vera) back in 2002.  It has run my house (still does) for years without me having to go into the administrative interface.  And yes, I have a very complex system.  That box is as tiny as Vera and is about 50x faster too (in how it handles automation).  It also never fails me (all scenes and commands ALWAYS work).

My only reason for moving to Vera was Zwave.  The non-flash interface worked just fine.  I see no need for a flash interface.  In my opinion, once you setup your home controller, and if it works right, you shouldn't have to mess with it for a long time.

I complete agree with those people who think that MCV should focus on the core product working and working consistently.  Also, working with more devices.  For example, scenes that involve my schlage door locks are inconsistent.  Also the hawking door sensors.  Another area that drastically needs improvement is the luup coding.  The code chosen there is cumbersome at the least.  This is coming from someone who has coded in basic (visual basic too) for about 20 years. 

Also, my IR device I bought for Vera doesn't even RECEIVE IR to activate scenes in vera.  This I find just completely amazing as my Homevision has been doing this for YEARS.  Sorry, the iPhone is not a replacement for a quality home theater controller like a Home Theater Master (the defacto standard in theater remotes).  Touch screen remotes are not for the average home user.  This is proven time and time again.  Another area that needs deperate attention is X10 TWO WAY.  There is no reason why vera shouldn't remember the last state a X10 device was set too.  There is also no reason why vera can't listen to the X10 network to hear about the status of a X10 device.

Anyway, I really love how the Vera product has been developing.  Though, I was really expecting with the next ROM release that scenes that involve Temperature and Light (like the 3 way motion/light/temp sensor) would be fixed (broken now).  I was also expecting IR and X10 improvements.  Instead we got a flash interface.  I will skip this ROM and hope for better.

The flash interface doesn't do anything to help my home devices run automated.

Thank You

Offline Roger.NET

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 06:58:10 pm »
Maybe there is a misunderstanding of what beta means.  Alpha means, new concept, untested support.  Beta means (logically bug free, most devices supported), Customer Technology Preview (CTP) means minor issues, last test release and Release To Market (RTM) means all major bugs fixed, all devices supported.

UI3 is in Alpha, not Beta.  Beta is suppose to be about finding hidden bugs or device problems.  Alpha is for getting the interface right, not Beta.

I Alpha and Beta test for A LOT of companies.  The point of Alpha is too see what works and what doesn't (in the interface).  Once the interface is approved you move to add support for the most popular/used devices and then you release to Beta.

It seems like we skipped over Alpha OR its actually suppose to be an Alpha release and not a Beta release.  If this is the case, then most of us wouldn't have installed it because we want a functioning unit.  Alpha testing is for people who have TWO units.

On this note, lets pretent its suppose to be an Alpha release.  #1 problem with this release is ease of use and performance.  Its in the Alpha state that we can decided that the path we are taking may not be the best path and we may have to change our plans.

Vera ROCKS.  But it won't if it sacrifices performance for visual appeal.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:09:58 pm by Roger.NET »

Offline wseverino

• Global Moderator
  • Da Man, Da Myth, Da Legend - in his own mind!
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 08:05:59 pm »
Amen Roger....Thats why I was saying the core functions should work before it has been released to beta.
My ZWave Network: Too friggin big to list.....

Offline zmistro

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 09:14:42 pm »
Amen Roger....Thats why I was saying the core functions should work before it has been released to beta.
Or atleast before you sell a unit with a beta installed and sell as retail.

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 11:29:47 am »
Amen again  8)
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline michaelk

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2010, 06:15:12 pm »
although interesting that seems now there's a vera 2 floating around at retail  that comes with the Beta software installed....

Link?

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3127.0

mcvovidiu

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 10:29:32 am »
The official announcement made last week was the first beta for UI3. We will release others during the following weeks until the stable one. Already, the CPU performance is improved and some of the bugs reported by you and we thank you all.

Offline Roger.NET

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 10:42:19 am »
Thank you for the update, But I would still preferr a flash free interface.  If there is no turning around, I will probably stick with the old system, but if I do that, will device support stop?