Author Topic: Ecobee3 control from VeraEdge UI7  (Read 7209 times)

Offline slief

Re: Ecobee3 control from VeraEdge UI7
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 04:51:58 pm »
Thank you very much Watou for your efforts and contributions! I removed the original plugin after the polling issue you posted recently just to insure I was contributing to the Ecobee spamming issue. As such I am looking forward to getting it installed and actually being able to take advantage of my new Ecobee3 in conjunction with my Vera and new Econet vents.

Thanks again for your hard work!

Offline watou

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 04:57:57 pm »
Thank you very much Watou for your efforts and contributions! I removed the original plugin after the polling issue you posted recently just to insure I was contributing to the Ecobee spamming issue. As such I am looking forward to getting it installed and actually being able to take advantage of my new Ecobee3 in conjunction with my Vera and new Econet vents.

You're welcome!  Please let me know if there are plugin problems once you have it installed and running.

Offline slief

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 05:43:17 pm »

You're welcome!  Please let me know if there are plugin problems once you have it installed and running.

Will do. I will be keeping an eye out on the App interface and here for news on the new Apps release. As soon as it's available, I will install it. Thanks again!

Offline Sig

• Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 11:17:06 am »
Bumping this thread...

@watou - through trial and error, I've figured out (I think) that the plugin (or rather Ecobee) will only support one instance of the plugin for a single Ecobee account, meaning, in my case, I have two thermostats (two homes) that I have setup through a single Ecobee account, and when I authorize one Vera to control Ecobee by securing a PIN and putting it into the Ecobee interface, it knocks my other Vera off.  So it seems that in order to control both thermostats through Vera, I would need to have both thermostat controls exist in only one of my Vera instances (i.e. primary home + vacation home both on my primary home's dashboard), because Ecobee is only maintaining one PIN code to allow Vera control.  Not ideal, but doable.

Question: Have I reached the correct conclusion, or is something else going on and should I be able to control each thermostat in each of my two separate Vera instances?  Extending that, do I need to decide if I want to control my Ecobee thermostats in a single Ecobee account, or a single Vera dashboard, but cannot do both?

Also, I'm now contemplating an upgrade to UI7.  Is the plugin working in UI7 these days?

Thank you.

Offline watou

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 11:38:02 am »
Bumping this thread...

@watou - through trial and error, I've figured out (I think) that the plugin (or rather Ecobee) will only support one instance of the plugin for a single Ecobee account, meaning, in my case, I have two thermostats (two homes) that I have setup through a single Ecobee account, and when I authorize one Vera to control Ecobee by securing a PIN and putting it into the Ecobee interface, it knocks my other Vera off.

It's not supposed to work that way.  The OAuth flow is confusing and hidden from users, but a PIN is "exchanged" for a unique auth token, from which are produced refresh and access tokens which are rotated once an hour.  You don't want to copy any of those three tokens to other plugin instances, because one instance will rotate the tokens, pulling the rug out from the other instance.  So pressing "Get PIN" on one Vera, entering the PIN at ecobee.com, and then doing those same steps on the other Vera, should not cause any conflict.

do I need to decide if I want to control my Ecobee thermostats in a single Ecobee account, or a single Vera dashboard, but cannot do both?
No; you should be able to use any number of Veras to control any number of Ecobee thermostats through any number of Ecobee accounts (subject to Ecobee's limits of registering a thermostat with only one ecobee.com account, and whatever limit they have for number of thermostats per account).

Also, I'm now contemplating an upgrade to UI7.  Is the plugin working in UI7 these days?

It works, but the UI is wrong because of the incompatible change to setpoints in UI7, and a lack of documentation on how to update a working UI5 thermostat plugin for UI7 (unless it's quietly appeared in the meantime and I'm not going to go hunt for it).

Offline Sig

• Beta Testers
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 11:42:44 am »
Thanks @watou. 

Clearly I must have something else going on then.  Right now, my weekend home Vera is successfully maintaining a connection to my Ecobee and has been for at least a couple months.  Not the case for my primary home.  And when I go in and get a new PIN for my primary home Vera, it seems to knock out the weekend home.  Odd...

I will try one more time setting a PIN for my primary home and keep a close watch and report back.

Offline kevink619

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 03:28:35 pm »
Hi,

I've installed the latest version (1.6), but when I attempt to create a scene, all options are grayed out. Also, I don't see any option to control the fan. I have added, removed, and re-added and authorized my Ecobee probably 20 times already, but no such like. Do I need to do a factory reset of of my Vera and Ecobee?  What am I doing wrong? Are there any other Ecobee plug-ins that I should try?

Offline kevink619

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 10:08:11 pm »
Are there ANY plugins that support Ecobee under UI17?  I'm stuck with the latest firmware and have not be successful in downgrading to 1.5.622. Ready to return this piece of junk!

Offline Sig

• Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 10:30:54 pm »
Yes, there is an Ecobee plugin in the App store.  It works.  I use it.  Install it, click the "Get PIN" button, and when the PIN returns, register that PIN as an authorized app in the app control settings in your Ecobee web interface.

The only issue I have with the plugin is that sometimes my thermostat will "un-register" from Vera (i.e. Vera no longer communicates with it) and I have to re-register using the above process.  But I think (and this is just a guess) that this has something to do with the fact that I have two Ecobee thermostats in my Ecobee account (one in my primary home, one in my weekend home).  One will occasionally de-register (seems to fluctuate between the two homes with no rhyme or reason) but the other will remain fine.  This seems to happen every couple of months or so.  I reported it to the app developer, but he hadn't heard of the issue with any other users, so again, there must be something unique about my setup/configuration.  But generally speaking, it works.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:32:49 pm by Sig »

Offline kevink619

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 08:37:36 pm »
Well, after MUCH frustration, I discovered a workaround:

The free beta VeraMobile app for Windows 10 lets me successfully create an event with the Ecobee plugin! And I can still keep the latest UI otherwise.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/veramobile-beta/9nblggh1rl9l

Kevin

Offline gleech

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 10:58:17 am »
Bumping this thread.

I'm on UI7 and just purchased Nest Protect. I'm creating a scene using the Nest Protect as trigger and then change the state of the Ecobee to OFF. I can control the state of the Ecobee on the dashboard but whenever I tried using it on the scene, I cannot select the state of the Ecobee or even change the temperature on the scence.

Any workaround? MY ecobee plugin is version 1.8